+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance

sairao

Aug 24, 2018
Hello,

We have recently moved to Canada (one month ago). My wife is pregnant and I know that I will be getting my health card after 3 months in Ontario. Wanted to know if the pregnancy costs would be covered by the health card once I get it ??

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

We have recently moved to Canada (one month ago). My wife is pregnant and I know that I will be getting my health card after 3 months in Ontario. Wanted to know if the pregnancy costs would be covered by the health card once I get it ??

Thanks in advance.
Yes - they will be covered after the 3 month period. During the initial three months, you'll have to pay for everything out of pocket.

sairao

Aug 24, 2018
Yes - they will be covered after the 3 month period. During the initial three months, you'll have to pay for everything out of pocket.
Thanks so much for the reply.

One more question - I have a temporary insurance provided by my employer with Desjardin, Will they cover the costs until then. I called them up, They said they have to look into it and would get back to you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are on a work permit you have to work for 6 months before you qualify for OHIP. Not sure if you also have to add the 3 month wait period after the 6 months.

Who qualifies
To qualify for OHIP, you must meet all of the minimum qualifications listed below plus at least one of the additional requirements.

To meet the minimum qualifications you must:

• be physically in Ontario for 153 days in any 12‑month period
  • be physically in Ontario for at least 153 days of the first 183 days immediately after you began living in the province
  • make Ontario your primary home
You must also meet at least one of the following additional requirements. You:

• are a Canadian citizen
  • are an Indigenous person (registered under the federal Indian Act)
  • are a permanent resident (formerly called a “landed immigrant”)
  • have applied for permanent residence, and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada has confirmed that:
    • you meet the eligibility requirements to apply
    • you have not yet been denied
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit and are working full-time in Ontario, for an Ontario employer, for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do
  • are in Ontario on a valid work permit under the federal Live-in Caregiver Program
  • are a convention refugee or other protected person (as defined by Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada)
  • have a Temporary Resident Permit (only certain case types, e.g. 86 through 95)
  • are a clergy member who can legally stay in Canada and is ministering full time in Ontario for at least six months
    • your spouse and any dependents also qualify if you do