+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance for pregnancy

sadiqwalji

Dec 18, 2018
Hello,

I am a Tanzanian passport holder but I’m immigrating to Canada in February 2019 with my wife and will be living in Toronto as permanent residents.

We require medical insurance for a period of 3-6 months from February 2019 onwards until we are eligible for Canadian medical insurance.

My wife is currently 4 weeks pregnant and would like to know if there are any health insurance options that would cover regular visits to an Ob/gyn including any ultrasounds and tests that need to be done as well as any emergencies that may arise pertaining to the pregnancy or otherwise.

Please advise.

Thanking you,
Sadiq

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I am a Tanzanian passport holder but I’m immigrating to Canada in February 2019 with my wife and will be living in Toronto as permanent residents.

We require medical insurance for a period of 3-6 months from February 2019 onwards until we are eligible for Canadian medical insurance.

My wife is currently 4 weeks pregnant and would like to know if there are any health insurance options that would cover regular visits to an Ob/gyn including any ultrasounds and tests that need to be done as well as any emergencies that may arise pertaining to the pregnancy or otherwise.

Please advise.

Thanking you,
Sadiq
Unfortunately there are no private insurance options that will provide coverage for anything related to the pregnancy. You will have to pay for all costs out of your own pocket.

There are private insurance policies that provide this kind of coverage - however they have to be purchased before an individual is pregnant. Since your wife is already expecting, it's too late.

Your wife will qualify for Ontario provincial health care coverage once you have lived in Canada for three months.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Think there may be some policies that cover emergency care in 1st or 2nd trimester but not sure how easy they are to find and how expensive they are. You would have to pay for any routine care.

sadiqwalji

Dec 18, 2018
Think there may be some policies that cover emergency care in 1st or 2nd trimester but not sure how easy they are to find and how expensive they are. You would have to pay for any routine care.
Thanks a lot. Will share whatever information we find for anyone else in a similar situation.

mattmjj

May 28, 2018
Thanks a lot. Will share whatever information we find for anyone else in a similar situation.
Dear Sir, have you found a solution for your wife's pregnancy cost for the trimester? Could you share what you did, Thanks a lot!

sadiqwalji

Dec 18, 2018
Hi,
There is no insurance that will cover pregnancy costs but we have purchased a health insurance policy that will cover any emergencies upto 31 weeks. This will cover any health or pregnancy related emergencies. Any normal clinic visits, ultrasounds etc. are not covered and will have to be paid for in cash.

You can check out the Health insurance policy at https://arbetovinsurance.com/

In the meantime, we will apply for OHIP and hope to get it soon.

mattmjj

May 28, 2018
Hi,
There is no insurance that will cover pregnancy costs but we have purchased a health insurance policy that will cover any emergencies upto 31 weeks. This will cover any health or pregnancy related emergencies. Any normal clinic visits, ultrasounds etc. are not covered and will have to be paid for in cash.

You can check out the Health insurance policy at https://arbetovinsurance.com/

In the meantime, we will apply for OHIP and hope to get it soon.
Thanks a lot for sharing it! And while I was asking you, my immigration adviser provided me some good practice that I think it may also apply to your family. Below is what she said:

""I am glad to know that you feel the service is helpful. With regard to health insurance, usually the short term health insurance plans do not cover the cost of checkups including pregnancy checkups but only cover the emergency medical cost such as hospital visit or stay.

If your spouse gets pregnant before you have received your OHIP card and coverage, your spouse can visit a community health center for free or low cost health care including checkups.

https://settlement.org/ontario/health/community-and-public-health/public-and-community-health/where-can-i-find-low-cost-health-care/

If you don't have OHIP, you can get free or low-cost health care at a Community Health Centre (CHC). Community Health Centers (CHCs) are non-profit organizations that provide primary health care and health promotion programs for individuals, families and communities.

Some CHCs offer integrated health care, language and settlement programs specifically for immigrants and refugees.

Some community agencies can help you find low-cost health care. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

Telehealth Ontario

You can call the Telehealth Ontario phone service at 1-866-797-0000. You can talk to a registered nurse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This service is free and confidential.

You can ask the Telehealth nurse questions about health concerns, or describe symptoms you have. The nurse will help you to decide if you should go to a hospital emergency room, if you can wait to go to a doctor the next day, or if you can look after yourself at home.""

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for sharing it! And while I was asking you, my immigration adviser provided me some good practice that I think it may also apply to your family. Below is what she said:

""I am glad to know that you feel the service is helpful. With regard to health insurance, usually the short term health insurance plans do not cover the cost of checkups including pregnancy checkups but only cover the emergency medical cost such as hospital visit or stay.

If your spouse gets pregnant before you have received your OHIP card and coverage, your spouse can visit a community health center for free or low cost health care including checkups.

https://settlement.org/ontario/health/community-and-public-health/public-and-community-health/where-can-i-find-low-cost-health-care/

If you don't have OHIP, you can get free or low-cost health care at a Community Health Centre (CHC). Community Health Centers (CHCs) are non-profit organizations that provide primary health care and health promotion programs for individuals, families and communities.

Some CHCs offer integrated health care, language and settlement programs specifically for immigrants and refugees.

Some community agencies can help you find low-cost health care. To find help, go to Services Near Me and search for "settlement services" in your area.

Telehealth Ontario

You can call the Telehealth Ontario phone service at 1-866-797-0000. You can talk to a registered nurse 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This service is free and confidential.

You can ask the Telehealth nurse questions about health concerns, or describe symptoms you have. The nurse will help you to decide if you should go to a hospital emergency room, if you can wait to go to a doctor the next day, or if you can look after yourself at home.""
The free or low cost services are under tremendous strain due to demand. You may not be able to access them.