+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Insurance - British Columbia (first 3 months)

DylB

Oct 13, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I am looking for any advice regarding personal health insurance for the initial 3 months when landing in British Columbia.

Does any know of good insurance companies that offer this type of insurance or whether this insurance is worthwhile.

I appreciate any advice you guys could give me.

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I can't remember what we used in the interim after landing, but be aware that it isn't really 3 FULL months. I landed on the 27th and went to Service BC the next day to start the paperwork for MSP. The three days left of that month counted as a month:

Reactions: lino82 and DylB

DylB

Oct 13, 2016
Thank you. I have also heard that. I am arriving mid-August and apparently I will be covered from 1 November.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
In BC, waiting period before you can use provincial insurance coverage consists of the balance of the month in which residence in British Columbia is established, plus two additional months. As a new Canadian immigrant with a PR, your residence is generally considered to be established upon arrival.

In case you are not initially eligible for the BC MSP benefits i.e. you came to Canada as a visitor and your status has since changed, for example, you are now awaiting your work permit. In such case, you will be eligible for the provincial insurance once you receive your work permit. So, the waiting period will only start from the moment you receive an immigration status that makes you eligible for MSP coverage.

Here is the official source - BC MSP Waiting Period

While you are waiting for your MSP coverage, you can get a private insurance policy that covers the costs for medical emergency treatment including hospitalization, prescription drugs, dental care. etc. for something unexpected like flu, fever, physical and/or dental injury that requires medical attention.

You can calculate a personal quote and view available insurance options here - Temporary Health Insurance

Last edited: