+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Health Card

Bahadur Singh 111

Star Member
Aug 16, 2020
Hello Everyone . I was helping a friend in filling up ontario health card application who became a protected person last month .he moved from quebec and I came through a column and I am confused about it .
a) If you moved from any other province , were you covered by a government health insurance plan ? Yes or no if yes what was the health number ? He didn’t have a health card just the refugee id so

b) Are you a new immigrant? In this column answer should be yes or no ?

c) When did you take up permanent residence in Ontario ? He just applied for permanent residence around 2 weeks ago so what should be the answer?

please help me out . Thanks

Tmon

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
For question A answer would be no. IFHP is federal and not province. You don’t need to put any number there.
For question B you can put Yes and the date you entered Canada.
For the last question he has to put the date he physically started living in Ontario.

Please note that he has to have lived in Ontario for 153 days before he can even qualify for the OHIP card.

Bahadur Singh 111

Star Member
Aug 16, 2020
@Tmon thank you very much . Appreciate your help but the form says I will be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in a 12 month period , so it means I confirm that I will be physically present not I have been already present? Please correct me if I am wrong here

Kenirotlory

Star Member
Dec 21, 2020
@Tmon thank you very much . Appreciate your help but the form says I will be physically present in Ontario for 153 days in a 12 month period , so it means I confirm that I will be physically present not I have been already present? Please correct me if I am wrong here
Hi, yes you do not need to have lived in Ontario for 153 days before you apply. I moved from Quebec to Ontario and applied for my healthcare in Service Ontario the next day and I already have it. I hope this helps

Reactions: Tmon

Bahadur Singh 111

Star Member
Aug 16, 2020
Hi, yes you do not need to have lived in Ontario for 153 days before you apply. I moved from Quebec to Ontario and applied for my healthcare in Service Ontario the next day and I already have it. I hope this helps
Thank you very much my friend . Can you tell me what documents did you provide to prove your address?

Tmon

Star Member
Mar 9, 2021
Oh thanks for clarifying. I did not know this.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Essentially if you already had RAMQ, you usually need to wait 3 months until OHIP kicks in and RAMQ still covers you. Pretty standard that if you move province your previous province often covers you for a while before you qualify for the new province.

There are residency requirements to keep your coverage in Ontario or you can be asked to pay back any healthcare you use. You must be in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and be in Ontario for the next 6 out of 12 months.

Reactions: Faruq_2342

Zana Ali

Star Member
Mar 14, 2021
Essentially if you already had RAMQ, you usually need to wait 3 months until OHIP kicks in and RAMQ still covers you. Pretty standard that if you move province your previous province often covers you for a while before you qualify for the new province.

There are residency requirements to keep your coverage in Ontario or you can be asked to pay back any healthcare you use. You must be in Ontario for the first 5 out of 6 months and be in Ontario for the next 6 out of 12 months.
@canuck78 if someone get 15000$CAD loan the lender can report to immigration?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Car loan I didn't want payback
I won’t be reported to immigration but you have to report outstanding loans if asked. Paying the loan back is not optional. Expect that whatever financial services o company will pursue repayment for such a large amount and non-payment will have significant impact on your ability to get future credit like other loans, credit cards, renting a home, getting a mortgage, etc.