+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Having parents visit Canada - Health Insurance & Advice

http404

Aug 31, 2015
Team with the situation worsening in India, I am potentially exploring the option to have parents fly to Canada (on Vande Bharat) flights. They're eligible as they are parents of a Canadian Permanent Resident. Need urgent advice on following two topics -

1. Health Insurance (during Canada stay and travel) - I have been receiving conflicting information, stating:
(i) after March 30, 2020 all insurance providers (Canadian or Indian policies both) have put in a clause to state no $ value will be covered for Covid-19 test or treatment (in case of positive) as it is marked as a global health issue by WHO;
(ii) for any individual in Canada, irrespective of their immigration status, Covid-19 test and treatment (if hospitalization required) will be covered (irrespective of insured or uninsured individual)

2. Advice in general if anyone is in the same boat thinking of bringing their parents or grandparents (on a valid TRV), which they already hold?

3. Anyone has already got their parents or grandparents through this route of TRV. The IRCC website talks about quarantine plan and penalties, however it does not clearly define what should be planned for quarantine in those 14 days e.g. can stay in same house with diff rooms or has to be a seperate unit etc. Please help on this point if you have clarity or a well documented link.

Thank you all in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Team with the situation worsening in India, I am potentially exploring the option to have parents fly to Canada (on Vande Bharat) flights. They're eligible as they are parents of a Canadian Permanent Resident. Need urgent advice on following two topics -

1. Health Insurance (during Canada stay and travel) - I have been receiving conflicting information, stating:
(i) after March 30, 2020 all insurance providers (Canadian or Indian policies both) have put in a clause to state no $ value will be covered for Covid-19 test or treatment (in case of positive) as it is marked as a global health issue by WHO;
(ii) for any individual in Canada, irrespective of their immigration status, Covid-19 test and treatment (if hospitalization required) will be covered (irrespective of insured or uninsured individual)

2. Advice in general if anyone is in the same boat thinking of bringing their parents or grandparents (on a valid TRV), which they already hold?

3. Anyone has already got their parents or grandparents through this route of TRV. The IRCC website talks about quarantine plan and penalties, however it does not clearly define what should be planned for quarantine in those 14 days e.g. can stay in same house with diff rooms or has to be a seperate unit etc. Please help on this point if you have clarity or a well documented link.

Thank you all in advance.
1. My understanding is that they would be covered for anything COVID-19 related but not other treatment. So you should get insurance to cover everything else.
3. They can stay in the same house with different rooms as long as everyone living in that house is going to quarantine along with them and not leave the house. If the other people living in that house want to be able to leave, then your parents would need to quarantine in a separate unit and have no contact with you for the 2 weeks.

Make sure they have return tickets. Remember that they are not allowed to move to Canada on a TRV. They can only visit.

http404

Aug 31, 2015
1. My understanding is that they would be covered for anything COVID-19 related but not other treatment. So you should get insurance to cover everything else.
3. They can stay in the same house with different rooms as long as everyone living in that house is going to quarantine along with them and not leave the house. If the other people living in that house want to be able to leave, then your parents would need to quarantine in a separate unit and have no contact with you for the 2 weeks.

Make sure they have return tickets. Remember that they are not allowed to move to Canada on a TRV. They can only visit.
Thank you for your prompt response. Very helpful.

For point #1 is there any link or communication from CIC that can be used as a reference point? Totally agree with you that travel health insurance to cover non-covid ailments will be required / be a good idea.

For point #3, how would you convince the immigration officer that current residents in the same house will quarantine themselves for 13 days as well, alongwith parents?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

For point #1 is there any link or communication from CIC that can be used as a reference point? Totally agree with you that travel health insurance to cover non-covid ailments will be required / be a good idea.

For point #3, how would you convince the immigration officer that current residents in the same house will quarantine themselves for 13 days as well, alongwith parents?
1. Look up the statement about covid coverage for your province of residence. They all have their own statements about covid.

2. You have to list who will be in the household and if there is anyone vulnerable they can’t quarantine with you. Assume there may be questions about what the parents do for employment and if they are working from home. There is supposed to be random calls or visits to make sure people are observing quarantine. Depending on who is in your household you are really risking the Canadians being exposed if you all quarantine together especially travelling from India.

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015

Hi,
I am in a similar situation and was searching answers to the above when I came across this.
Did you find any information? Are your parents here already or still planning? Please share how did you go about it?

Thanks.

cooldoc80

Nov 1, 2010
NOC Code......
Passport Req..
No PPR yet , just Passport Biopage request
LANDED..........
I'm Dreaming of July/2015
Hi,
I am in a similar situation and was searching answers to the above when I came across this.
Did you find any information? Are your parents here already or still planning? Please share how did you go about it?

Thanks.
Same question here , any specific insurance plan recommended for parents visiting canada?

s23srinivas

Jul 27, 2015
Same question here , any specific insurance plan recommended for parents visiting canada?
I didn't get any response. So still not sure.

But from an insurance standpoint, I believe any travel health insurance to cover non-covid ailments is good to have(coverage and premium depends on individual's requirement) than not having anything at all.

All the best!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Reactions: s23srinivas