+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Haven't done ECA for spouse.

karthick2504

Aug 9, 2017
Hi Folks,

I'm planning to apply for EE under the Canadian Experience Class. I haven't done the ECA for my spouse as I couldn't get the transcripts on time, also my score itself was enough to get an ITA. She has a masters degree from India. How to handle this situation while creating a profile, i.e) spouse has a masters degree, but I'm not claiming points for the same. Please guide.

DelPiero07

VIP Member
Oct 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Only mention her education in the personal history section, no proof of her educational credentials will be required.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Folks,
I'm planning to apply for EE under the Canadian Experience Class. I haven't done the ECA for my spouse as I couldn't get the transcripts on time, also my score itself was enough to get an ITA. She has a masters degree from India. How to handle this situation while creating a profile, i.e) spouse has a masters degree, but I'm not claiming points for the same. Please guide.
If you list her credentials in the profile, you will likely be asked to provide documents even though you don't have the ECA (and don't need it). It is OK to leave it off.

LATER - when you get the ITA and prepare the eAPR, she can list her education details in the background document, but not have to worry about providing the documents.

karthick2504

Aug 9, 2017
Only mention her education in the personal history section, no proof of her educational credentials will be required.
Thanks DelPiero07. Are you saying that I can give her education details somewhere while creating the profile without having done ECA for her.

karthick2504

Aug 9, 2017
If you list her credentials in the profile, you will likely be asked to provide documents even though you don't have the ECA (and don't need it). It is OK to leave it off.

LATER - when you get the ITA and prepare the eAPR, she can list her education details in the background document, but not have to worry about providing the documents.
Thanks jes_ON. I'm a bit confused as your answer is condracting with DelPiero07's reponse. Please clarify.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks jes_ON. I'm a bit confused as your answer is condracting with DelPiero07's reponse. Please clarify.
?? No contradiction, saying exactly the same thing.

You have to understand, it's a 2 stage application process.
1) You submit your profile. This is NOT the application. The information in the profile determines your eligibility. You only need to provide details for qualifications that demonstrate your eligibility.

2) IF YOU RECEIVE AN INVITATION TO APPLY: Then you complete the PR application and provide supporting documents to prove your claims in your profile. The application forms include a background history (or Personal History), where you have to include ALL DETAILS requested, even if you did not include them in your profile.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Thanks DelPiero07. Are you saying that I can give her education details somewhere while creating the profile without having done ECA for her.
No. "Personal History" is not part of the online profile. You only complete this later as part of your PR application, if you receive an invitation to apply .

karthick2504

Aug 9, 2017
No. "Personal History" is not part of the online profile. You only complete this later as part of your PR application, if you receive an invitation to apply .
Many thanks. I'm still getting used to this process. Actually, I'm processing my profile and application on my own through CEC class as I can't afford spending fees for an attorney. Could you please guide me with documentation or thread which I can go over for creating a profile as the 1st step. Thanks again.

karthick2504

Aug 9, 2017
Hi Guys,

I have started creating my express entry profile and I have query with the below questions in my spouse profile.

1.Has xxxxxxxxxxxx finished high school or any higher education (including university, college or vocational training)?
Should I select 'No' as I haven't done ECA for my spouse's education. If I select i

2.Does xxxxxx have any work history?
Should I select 'No' as well for this section, though my wife has 5 years of experience(Outside Canada). I felt it would be awkward to give her work experience after mentioning 'No' for the education question. Please confirm if I can select 'No' for the 1st question and then give the actual experience details.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Guys,

I have started creating my express entry profile and I have query with the below questions in my spouse profile.

1.Has xxxxxxxxxxxx finished high school or any higher education (including university, college or vocational training)?
Should I select 'No' as I haven't done ECA for my spouse's education. If I select i

It is not mandatory to include anything on the profile for which you are not claiming points.

You can select no. If you select "yes" you will be expected to provide copies of degrees/diplomas, even though you won't get points because she hasn't done the ECA. But if you need more points, she should do the ECA.

2.Does xxxxxx have any work history?
Should I select 'No' as well for this section, though my wife has 5 years of experience(Outside Canada). I felt it would be awkward to give her work experience after mentioning 'No' for the education question. Please confirm if I can select 'No' for the 1st question and then give the actual experience details.
Again, it is not mandatory to include anything on the profile for which you are not claiming points.

You can select no. If you select "yes" you will be expected to provide letters of reference from the employer(s), even though you won't get points.

Later, if you receive the ITA, of course she will have to list everything in the official application.

karthick2504

Aug 9, 2017
Again, it is not mandatory to include anything on the profile for which you are not claiming points.

You can select no. If you select "yes" you will be expected to provide letters of reference from the employer(s), even though you won't get points.

Later, if you receive the ITA, of course she will have to list everything in the official application.
Many thanks jes_ON. I have submitted my profile today. Wish me luck :)

karunachacko

Jan 22, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
@jes_ON If I don't want to claim points for my husband(secondary applicant) ECA in the Express Entry profile for Canada, should I select his education as bachelor's and then ECA evaluated as no, or,
should I select his education as secondary/none?(We have enough points to get through with out spouse ECA).He is a doctor by profession

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
@jes_ON If I don't want to claim points for my husband(secondary applicant) ECA in the Express Entry profile for Canada, should I select his education as bachelor's and then ECA evaluated as no, or,
should I select his education as secondary/none?(We have enough points to get through with out spouse ECA).He is a doctor by profession

Why would you even consider misrepresenting your husband's education? (This is different from the employment section, where you are instructed to include eligible experience only). The appropriate choice is available. If you select "no ECA" then there will not be any points assigned.

Last edited:
Reactions: karunachacko

karunachacko

Jan 22, 2019
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
22-06-2019
@jes_ON
I really don't want to misrepresent any data and get in trouble.Just to be clear. so if i dont want the points for spouse degree,I would
1.select qualification as bachelor's degree(That's his qualification)
2.select "no ECA" done
by doing this i dont have to provide spouse ECA report after ITA.

My doubt is similar to karthick2504 question
"1.Has xxxxxxxxxxxx finished high school or any higher education (including university, college or vocational training)?
Should I select 'No' as I haven't done ECA for my spouse's education. ?"

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
@jes_ON
I really don't want to misrepresent any data and get in trouble.Just to be clear. so if i dont want the points for spouse degree,I would
1.select qualification as bachelor's degree(That's his qualification)
2.select "no ECA" done
by doing this i dont have to provide spouse ECA report after ITA.

Correct.

Reactions: karunachacko