Aug 20, 2014
Hello forum,

Situation:
- graduated from Ontario college
- have a Post graduate work permit valid till the end of July 2015
- no job so far
- want to immigrate to Canada

Questions:
Alberta: if I move there and apply via AINP (albertacanada.com/opportunity/immigrating/ainp-eds-international-graduate-criteria.aspx), my work permit might expire before the nomination is given, as the current (aug '14) processing times are stated as 8-12 months.
- is there any way I can extend my WP while I await the nomination?
- if I choose to let my WP expire, I can restore it within 90 days (cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=192&t=17), however that means I have to stop working for that period. Will it affect the nomination process?
- is there any other option?

BC: If I use the International Graduate program (welcomebc.ca/new_pnp/About-the-BC-PNP/Skills-Immigration/International-Graduates.aspx)
- the only processing times I find are about Skills and Business categories (welcomebc.ca/Immigrate/About-the-BC-PNP/About-the-BC-PNP/Processing-Times.aspx). Do these stated 5-6 months apply to my case?

Ontario: the International Student With a Job Offer (ontarioimmigration.ca/OI/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_JOBAPPLY.html#_qualify) program sounds rather difficult with all the pre-screening, position approval, etc
- is it realistically doable to apply via this PNP considering all the extra documentation required, like approval letter, Joint Verification form signed by their prospective employer, and Pre-screen Position form?

Thank you

Diaboluce

Jul 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Sydeny, NS
App. Filed.......
13-03-2014
Nomination.....
05-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
Med's Request
15-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2014
Passport Req..
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
18-04-2015
I can answer Alberta one :)

Alberta: if I move there and apply via AINP (albertacanada.com/opportunity/immigrating/ainp-eds-international-graduate-criteria.aspx), my work permit might expire before the nomination is given, as the current (aug '14) processing times are stated as 8-12 months.
has your PGWP been 3 years? if less, you can apply for extension for PGWP within that 3 years term. ex) let's say you have only got 2years due to your passport validity or something. Then you can apply for another year. If it's not your case, I believe you have to apply for regular work-permit as other foreign workers. In addition, you can't apply for the international graduate criteria if you are not holding valid PGWP.

- if I choose to let my WP expire, I can restore it within 90 days (cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=192&t=17), however that means I have to stop working for that period. Will it affect the nomination process?
I think that is just a temporary solution for whoever just needs quick extension to prepare another permit or other urgent excuses. For you, you need to maintain valid work-permit to work continuously and I doubt there is any company that can hire someone who can work on and off like that.
- is there any other option?
You have to search for other streams rather then international graduate if you can't hold PGWP till end of PR application process. If you are an engineering major, engineering stream could be another option for you.

Sanctuaryu

Aug 20, 2014
Diaboluce said:
I can answer Alberta one :)

has your PGWP been 3 years? if less, you can apply for extension for PGWP within that 3 years term. ex) let's say you have only got 2years due to your passport validity or something. Then you can apply for another year. If it's not your case, I believe you have to apply for regular work-permit as other foreign workers. In addition, you can't apply for the international graduate criteria if you are not holding valid PGWP.
My PGWP is 1 year.

How do I extend it in case I have to? Does it need to be an LMO application by my employer? If I extend it with an LMO, won't it turn my PGWP into a closed WP and invalidate my ongoing AINP process?

Diaboluce

Jul 18, 2012
Visa Office......
Sydeny, NS
App. Filed.......
13-03-2014
Nomination.....
05-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
Med's Request
15-04-2014
Med's Done....
12-05-2014
Passport Req..
13-02-2015
LANDED..........
18-04-2015
Sanctuaryu said:
My PGWP is 1 year.

How do I extend it in case I have to? Does it need to be an LMO application by my employer? If I extend it with an LMO, won't it turn my PGWP into a closed WP and invalidate my ongoing AINP process?
Do you only have got 1 year on your first PGWP application?
then just use the same documents and same procedure to apply again for the rest of 2 years and explain on extra document that why you are applying for extra years.
then if you have 2 years + passport validity, they are going to give you 2 years at most.

Sanctuaryu

Aug 20, 2014
Diaboluce said:
Do you only have got 1 year on your first PGWP application?
then just use the same documents and same procedure to apply again for the rest of 2 years and explain on extra document that why you are applying for extra years.
then if you have 2 years + passport validity, they are going to give you 2 years at most.
Yes, I graduated from an 8-month program so they gave me 1 year.

So when the time comes I can just explain to CIC that I need an extension because I have got a job and am waiting for my provincial nominee? Thank you.

r1987

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/15
Nomination.....
17/09/15
AOR Received.
06/10/15
Med's Done....
29/06/15
LANDED..........
Inland
Sorry mate you won't be eligible to extent your PGWP as Diaboluce suggest - Because your program is only 8 months.

Impact of length of program of study in Canada and the length of the work permit
A Post-Graduation Work Permit cannot be valid longer than the official length of your program of study in Canada. For example, students graduating from a four-year degree program might be eligible for a three-year year work permit. Students graduating from an eight-month certificate program would only be eligible for a work permit of eight months.

If the official length of your program of study is:

less than eight months:
you are not eligible for this program
less than two years but more than eight months:
you may get a work permit for a period no longer than the length of your program of study (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for a period of nine months)
two years or more:
a work permit may be issued for three years

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/work-postgrad-who.asp

Sanctuaryu

Aug 20, 2014
r1987 said:
Sorry mate you won't be eligible to extent your PGWP as Sanctuaryu suggest - Because your program is only 8 months.
Yes, I know that PGWP length equals study program length - that's why I was surprised to hear Diaboluce's method.

So what you are saying is that the only option to extend my WP is via LMO?

r1987

Star Member
Feb 28, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06/10/15
Nomination.....
17/09/15
AOR Received.
06/10/15
Med's Done....
29/06/15
LANDED..........
Inland
For PR purpose, what did u graduate from?

Go and tried to find a job in BC - Specially North BC, Fort St John for Example. By the time ur PGWP will expire you might be lucky and get your nomination from BC, and file number from CIC to ask for OWP. Unless they change the rules again.

2 months to find suitable job
6 moth to get Nomination (as of current time line- might increase in future as happen in Alberta)
3 months to get file # from CIC
Total 11 months approximately

Those time lines are just estimation and not to be taken a final count. Also Immigration rules change all the time. This is just analysis of your situation and not a legal binding advice.

Good luck

Sanctuaryu

Aug 20, 2014
r1987 said:
For PR purpose, what did u graduate from?

Go and tried to find a job in BC - Specially North BC, Fort St John for Example. By the time ur PGWP will expire you might be lucky and get your nomination from BC, and file number from CIC to ask for OWP. Unless they change the rules again.

2 months to find suitable job
6 moth to get Nomination (as of current time line- might increase in future as happen in Alberta)
3 months to get file # from CIC
Total 11 months approximately

Those time lines are just estimation and not to be taken a final count. Also Immigration rules change all the time. This is just analysis of your situation and not a legal binding advice.

Good luck
I graduated from Seneca College - Global Logistics and Supply Chain Management graduate certificate program.

Thank you for the advice