+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

Osmel86

Star Member
Nov 23, 2017
Cuba
Unfortunately it may take more than a year. Ircc promises to complete 80% of applications within a 12 month timeframe. I would lower expectations to be completed by a year. You can email MXICOIMMIGRATION@international.gc.ca
Thank you very much for your info and the email. I will write them and see if I get an answer back..praying God everything works out well and a way they can make it faster and without so many complications.

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
I wrote the Mexican embassy last week and haven't heard anything yet.
I know one person has received a response. Anyone else?

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
I wrote the Mexican embassy last week and haven't heard anything yet.
I know one person has received a response. Anyone else?
I guess it depends on what you are asking. We asked for an extension to the time allotted for the medicals. They got back in 2 days and said we had 60 more days. I said that wasn't good enough and then I got an email back from IRCC in Ottawa saying that I have basically as much time as we need. Maybe it depends on the question and whether they have a "script" for responding.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Here’s a puzzling statement from the IRCC:

“Review of the BGC has not been started.”

Does that mean the BGC has been completed, but simply not reviewed? Or does it mean the BGC itself has not been started.

Anyone know precisely the meaning?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
From my MPs office today:

“Applicants will no longer be able to pick up their visa at the Canadian embassy in Havana, Cuba.”

StaceyBicetR

May 15, 2019
From my MPs office today:

“Applicants will no longer be able to pick up their visa at the Canadian embassy in Havana, Cuba.”

This is crazy! Where are they expeced to go!?! Will they leave via another country. Why is there no guidance for this! At least give options for what to do! This is so very stressful!

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
I am hearing lately that the choices are sending them to Mexico or any other third country visa office for the stamp. The trick is the effort and cost of getting a passport in and out of Cuba with only DHL. And DHL has been known to take MONTHS to deliver something when it comes to Cuba. I have been trying to find out if I can bring passports back to Canada for a stamp - because then I could fly down to get them and come back. If anyone finds out, please let us know!

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
So, they have changed their minds about handing out passports in Havana. Great.
It would be great if we could go get their passports and then get the visa here. Good luck to us all...

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
I sent a DHL package to Cuba from Canada once. Never would I do so again. It went from Canada to England, then to Spain, and from there to Havana. And from there to Guantánamo. I think the only reason I actually got the package is because my wife’s aunt works in the local post office. She called us the minute the package arrived and we RAN to get it. Otherwise I’m quite sure the package would have disappeared....

As for using DHL to send a package from Cuba - good luck with that.

I’ve used DHL a few times in North America in the past to have items shipped from Germany and the service was equally terrible.

Reactions: laleona

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
I sent a DHL package to Cuba from Canada once. Never would I do so again. It went from Canada to England, then to Spain, and from there to Havana. And from there to Guantánamo. I think the only reason I actually got the package is because my wife’s aunt works in the local post office. She called us the minute the package arrived and we RAN to get it. Otherwise I’m quite sure the package would have disappeared....

As for using DHL to send a package from Cuba - good luck with that.

I’ve used DHL a few times in North America in the past to have items shipped from Germany and the service was equally terrible.
I remember once one of our documents went through Dallas. OMG - NOT like it was any of their business, but I got a phone call and got interrogated - why was I receiving a document from Cuba? Who was it from? What is your business in Cuba? I kept telling them that I was Canadian and it was none of their damn business. It was our wedding certificate, I think. They held it up for months and every so often I would look online and it would say it was held up in inspection. ONE PIECE OF PAPER.
So maybe that is why yours took the world tour?

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
My husband sent me our wedding certificate using DHL. It took over a month. Mine was also stuck in transition.

Anyone know how easy it is for a Cuban to get a visa to Mexico? :( I wonder if they would give it out easily if they are coming to pick up a visa for Canada.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
My husband sent me our wedding certificate using DHL. It took over a month. Mine was also stuck in transition.

Anyone know how easy it is for a Cuban to get a visa to Mexico? :( I wonder if they would give it out easily if they are coming to pick up a visa for Canada.
Ok , we shall see if Mexican visa policy changes. I already posted this info but am doing so again to help everyone- remember, I live in Cuba:

According to the Canadian government web site all Cuban files will now be processed in Mexico. It can take months for a Cuban to get a Mexican visa because embassy interviews are generated by computer.

Every week on Friday the Mexican embassy computer system opens to allow interview requests- for about 5 minutes. Their web site is always overloaded and therefore a large amount of luck is required for success. The server is swamped (I am not a computer expert but that seems logical).

The only Cuban I personally know who has acquired a Mexican visa needed 4 1/2 months to get a Mexican embassy interview, with her Canadian friend working with several computers every two weeks during that period to get into their embassy website.

They used to open their web site every two weeks, now they appear to be doing so every Friday at 9:30 am.

And for those of you who speak Spanish or use Google Translate, here is the latest fun announcement from the Havana Mexican embassy:

“ En atención a los recientes ajustes a la plantilla de personal de esta oficina Consular, el número de citas que se pondrá a disposición del público será menor a lo acostumbrado y hasta nuevo aviso.”
https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/cuba/index.php/avisos/161-citasmexitelrepcuba

There are other Spanish-speaking countries that have much easier visa access for Cubans (my wife has a current Peruvian visa, for example).

Slamee

Mar 22, 2019
Ok , we shall see if Mexican visa policy changes. I already posted this info but am doing so again to help everyone- remember, I live in Cuba:

According to the Canadian government web site all Cuban files will now be processed in Mexico. It can take months for a Cuban to get a Mexican visa because embassy interviews are generated by computer.

Every week on Friday the Mexican embassy computer system opens to allow interview requests- for about 5 minutes. Their web site is always overloaded and therefore a large amount of luck is required for success. The server is swamped (I am not a computer expert but that seems logical).

The only Cuban I personally know who has acquired a Mexican visa needed 4 1/2 months to get a Mexican embassy interview, with her Canadian friend working with several computers every two weeks during that period to get into their embassy website.

They used to open their web site every two weeks, now they appear to be doing so every Friday at 9:30 am.

And for those of you who speak Spanish or use Google Translate, here is the latest fun announcement from the Havana Mexican embassy:

“ En atención a los recientes ajustes a la plantilla de personal de esta oficina Consular, el número de citas que se pondrá a disposición del público será menor a lo acostumbrado y hasta nuevo aviso.”
https://embamex.sre.gob.mx/cuba/index.php/avisos/161-citasmexitelrepcuba

There are other Spanish-speaking countries that have much easier visa access for Cubans (my wife has a current Peruvian visa, for example).

Wooooooow. And over here my MP told me the Mexican consulate is being staffed accordingly to alleviate any extra pressure and keep things moving at pace.

Anyone notice how Canadá closed the embassy and then a week later the trade war with the US was over?

I wonder what lovely news tomorrow will bring.

Ferengi

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Visa Office......
HAVANA
Does anyone know if you can request a pick up place for a visa? For example, right now, they are saying, please send your passport to Mexico or come to Mexico to pick up the visa. Can request that the visa pick up be in Trinidad and Tobago?