+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Havana, Cuba

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Canada pulled his licence to be a panel physician. I'm very interested in what you received, because this is what IIIII got from both the IRCC and then the Mexican immigration office in response to a webform I submitted:

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Changes to IRCC services offered in Havana, Cuba

On May 8, 2019, IRCC’s programs and services offered in Havana, Cuba, have changes. The Canadian government has initiated security measures and decided to reduce by up to half the number of Canadian staff posted to Havana due to the potential causes of the unusual health symptoms experienced by some Canadian diplomatic staff and their family members.

We invite to you to visit our website for more information on:

• Services affected,
  • Other ways to apply for a visa,
  • Biometrics,
  • Etc.
If you are required to give your biometrics (fingerprints and a photo), you can travel to any visa application centre (VAC) outside Cuba. Trinidad and Tobago is the closest country with a VAC and IRCC visa office that does not have visa requirements for Cuban nationals to visit.

Once biometrics are provided, IRCC’s Mexico visa office will contact you directly on next steps required for your application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This refers to your application for permanent residence to Canada.

As part of your application process, you have been required to provide your biometrics (have your fingerprints scanned and your photograph taken) within a period of 30 days. However, given that the Visa Office in Havana is now closed and considering that you will have to travel to a country where there is a biometric collection service point, you are being granted 60 additional days, from the date of this message, to present yourself at a biometric collection service point to give your biometrics.

You eventually will receive the appropriate instructions to complete the medical examinations. However, given that the service of panel physician in Havana has been discontinued, you will also have to travel to another country to visit an authorized panel physician who may perform your medical examinations. We then encourage you to have your biometrics taken and complete medical exams in one visit.

Regards| Cordialement,

Immigration Section| Section d’Immigration

Embassy of Canada| Ambassade du Canada, Mexico

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 193, Col Granada

11520 Ciudad de Mexico

www.mexico.gc.ca
It is good that they have enough sense to have you do both in one visit. That is also something I was having the MP's office push for.

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
I have also requested that the MP contact the office for the Minister of Foreign Affairs about reinstating biometrics in Havana. Chrystia Freeland, the Minister is in Havana now.

mike 1977

Star Member
Nov 28, 2018
Is there anyone here whose MP is Chrystia Freeland. If so please contact her office. If there is anyone who has the Immigration Minister as an MP that could also be very helpful.

StaceyBicetR

May 15, 2019
I’m not sure about biometrics cut-off date, but a good Cuban friend of mine who got her PR last year told me it took a month for Canada to receive the medical results from Havana.
My biggest worry is that we did the medicals on Friday May 3 and the Embassy Closed May 10. We have the receipt that the medicals were done. I am just worried that the results may not get to Mexico since the embassy is no longer dealing with medicals and the results take a month to be sent. We received a letter via email from Mexico saying that we have additional time to complete the medicals and the immigration consultant im using replied with copies of the receipts however that was just 2 days ago so no response so far. This is all just so stressful. For a process that was already complicated and stressful it is now 10x worse!!!

ThePhD

May 16, 2019
Canada pulled his licence to be a panel physician. I'm very interested in what you received, because this is what IIIII got from both the IRCC and then the Mexican immigration office in response to a webform I submitted:

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Changes to IRCC services offered in Havana, Cuba

On May 8, 2019, IRCC’s programs and services offered in Havana, Cuba, have changes. The Canadian government has initiated security measures and decided to reduce by up to half the number of Canadian staff posted to Havana due to the potential causes of the unusual health symptoms experienced by some Canadian diplomatic staff and their family members.

We invite to you to visit our website for more information on:

• Services affected,
  • Other ways to apply for a visa,
  • Biometrics,
  • Etc.
If you are required to give your biometrics (fingerprints and a photo), you can travel to any visa application centre (VAC) outside Cuba. Trinidad and Tobago is the closest country with a VAC and IRCC visa office that does not have visa requirements for Cuban nationals to visit.

Once biometrics are provided, IRCC’s Mexico visa office will contact you directly on next steps required for your application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This refers to your application for permanent residence to Canada.

As part of your application process, you have been required to provide your biometrics (have your fingerprints scanned and your photograph taken) within a period of 30 days. However, given that the Visa Office in Havana is now closed and considering that you will have to travel to a country where there is a biometric collection service point, you are being granted 60 additional days, from the date of this message, to present yourself at a biometric collection service point to give your biometrics.

You eventually will receive the appropriate instructions to complete the medical examinations. However, given that the service of panel physician in Havana has been discontinued, you will also have to travel to another country to visit an authorized panel physician who may perform your medical examinations. We then encourage you to have your biometrics taken and complete medical exams in one visit.

Regards| Cordialement,

Immigration Section| Section d’Immigration

Embassy of Canada| Ambassade du Canada, Mexico

Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 193, Col Granada

11520 Ciudad de Mexico

www.mexico.gc.ca
Thank you for sharing this information. Given that biometrics (in a VAC office in Trinidad) and the medical can be done in one visit (at the panel physician's office), I just called the panel physician's office in Trinidad and Tobago (Dr. Ross Millar) https://secure.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx) his receptionist indicated that his office hours are (M-F) 8-11am and 1pm. In order to set up an appointment all that is required is the IMME number.

If other members on this board are looking for flights to Trinidad and Tobago (Port-of-Spain - is the city). Caribbean Airlines has direct flights out of Havana to POS. They fly out of Havana on Tuesday's returning on Saturday. Approximately $527 USD return. Cuba nationals can travel without a Visa for up to 90days. Be sure your partners have return tickets and can show that they have accommodations booked and money to cover their stay. Best of luck to all!

Last edited:

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Sounds good for anyone traveling to POS.

It’s a dangerous city if you don’t know what you are doing. I have spent a lot of time there and it’s fine as long as you follow a few simple rules. Anyone is free to message me for info as to inexpensive hotels and guidelines for getting along without problems.

Reactions: laleona

laleona

Dec 10, 2018
Calgary
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney
App. Filed.......
12-10-2018
Thank you for sharing this information. Given that biometrics (in a VAC office in Trinidad) and the medical can be done in one visit (at the panel physician's office), I just called the panel physician's office in Trinidad and Tobago (Dr. Ross Millar) https://secure.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx) his receptionist indicated that his office hours are (M-F) 8-11am and 1pm. In order to set up an appointment all that is required is the IMME number.

If other members on this board are looking for flights to Trinidad and Tobago (Port-of-Spain - is the city). Caribbean Airlines has direct flights out of Havana to POS. They fly out of Havana on Tuesday's returning on Saturday. Approximately $527 USD return. Cuba nationals can travel without a Visa for up to 90days. Be sure your partners have return tickets and can show that they have accommodations booked and money to cover their stay. Best of luck to all!
Did you get a sense of the cost of the medicals in POS?

ThePhD

May 16, 2019
Sounds good for anyone traveling to POS.

It’s a dangerous city if you don’t know what you are doing. I have spent a lot of time there and it’s fine as long as you follow a few simple rules. Anyone is free to message me for info as to inexpensive hotels and guidelines for getting along without problems.
Why are you so negative. Trinidad/POS is no more dangerous than North America or Mexico.

It is important that anyone going do there research and not just state there personal opinion. Canada is not going to suggest a third country where foreign nationals are likely to get shot.

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
Why are you so negative. Trinidad/POS is no more dangerous than North America or Mexico.

It is important that anyone going do there research and not just state there personal opinion. Canada is not going to suggest a third country where foreign nationals are likely to get shot.
I have spent a lot of time in POS - wander into the wrong neighborhood a block or two from where it’s safe and you’re gonna find trouble.

It’s not safe to walk anywhere at night, nor to wear jewelry or watches that are worth $

Best places to stay are in the embassy district because there is more security there.

One time I decided to take a short-cut down a safe-looking street and my wife was almost raped. Luckily someone with a cell phone saw the guy chasing us (he was naked from the waist down) and called the cops.

Another time we were chased by a mugger in the so-called safe zone but luckily there was a store to duck into.

The people who make these decisions in Ottawa are a long way from ground truth. Look at the decision to move the visa office to Mexico where it takes months for a Cuban to get a visa to go there.

At the end of the day you can go to POS and stay safe but it has one of the hemisphere’s highest murder rates outside Central America and Canadian tourists have been killed there before.

I never give advice based on hearsay but only from personal experience.

All that said, most Trinis, as they call themselves, are super nice and very helpful. So there’s a positive side too. And there are lovely beaches relatively close to the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: laleona

ThePhD

May 16, 2019
I have spent a lot of time in POS - wander into the wrong neighborhood a block or two from where it’s safe and you’re gonna find trouble.

It’s not safe to walk anywhere at night, nor to wear jewelry or watches that are worth $

Best places to stay are in the embassy district because there is more security there.

One time I decided to take a short-cut down a safe-looking street and my wife was almost raped. Luckily someone with a cell phone saw the guy chasing us (he was naked from the waist down) and called the cops.

Another time we were chased by a mugger in the so-called safe zone but luckily there was a store to duck into.

The people who make these decisions in Ottawa are a long way from ground truth. Look at the decision to move the visa office to Mexico where it takes months for a Cuban to get a visa to go there.

At the end of the day you can go to POS and stay safe but it has one of the hemisphere’s highest murder rates outside Central America and Canadian tourists have been killed there before.

I never give advice based on hearsay but only from personal experience.

All that said, most Trinis, as they call themselves, are super nice and very helpful. So there’s a positive side too. And there are lovely beaches relatively close to the city.
This is the last time I will be having an exchange with you.

Your comments are based on personal opinion (not research).

What I was saying that everyone must to their research which is not based on personal experience. Investigate where one is staying (Airbnb's, hotels such as the Hyatt etc). Every country is dangerous and one must take percautions. I am not ignorant of the politics of what takes place in Trinidad as I have done academic research there. I wish you well in your endeavours - Fin!

Kiva667

May 9, 2019
This is the last time I will be having an exchange with you.

Your comments are based on personal opinion (not research).

What I was saying that everyone must to their research which is not based on personal experience. Investigate where one is staying (Airbnb's, hotels such as the Hyatt etc). Every country is dangerous and one must take percautions. I am not ignorant of the politics of what takes place in Trinidad as I have done academic research there. I wish you well in your endeavours - Fin!
No, my comments are based on experience, not opinion. 40 yrs of traveling in developing countries have taught me the best advice comes from those with personal experience that is not of the ivory-tower variety.

But I do wish you well, sincerely.