+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Has anyone sponsored a married filipina as common law spouse.

raycrawford

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
My common law spouse is married in the philippines where there is no divorce.

She has one letter of agreement signed by both her and her husband discussing division of assets, kids etc and affidavits from family members confirming the date of separation.

Just wondering if anyone has applied in this situation successfully?

Regards,

Raymond.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Vancouver British Columbia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
No,the Canadian embassy in the Philippines will look for the certificale of singleness issued by NSO,Where is she currently residing,So I can discuss options

raycrawford

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
I have talked to many immigration lawyers, it is not possible to get this document from NSO unless she has an annulment. CIC realizes there is no divorce in the philippines and will accept proof that the previous relationship has ended, in the form of separation agreement of affidavids.

There are millions of filipinas in the philippines that are separated and have no idea where there husbands are.

I need a response from someone who has accomplished this.

Regards,

Ray.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can try applying as a conjugal. You have a very good excuse why you can't marry her when she is already married and can't get a divorce.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
raycrawford said:
I have talked to many immigration lawyers, it is not possible to get this document from NSO unless she has an annulment. CIC realizes there is no divorce in the philippines and will accept proof that the previous relationship has ended, in the form of separation agreement of affidavids.

There are millions of filipinas in the philippines that are separated and have no idea where there husbands are.

I need a response from someone who has accomplished this.

Regards,

Ray.
I have assisted Filipinos who have come into our constituency office asking for help and i have ASSISTED about 5 such cases,Does this count???But I have to have facts,Does She live in Philippines,Canada or 3rd country???Is she in contact with Ex Husband???Are you in Canada or Philippines???You need to give more facts.Btw Lawyers come to us asking for help We dont ask for help from them

Reactions: Luisa10

raycrawford

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
We are living together and have been for 3 years but I have been back to Canada a few times. In July we will have been together one complete year and want to apply as common law.

She has her two kid every second weekend, they live with their dad. So yes she has no choice but to be in contact with him.

He will not cooperate anyway in any legal proceedings.

She was lucky enough to have one agreement signed by them both. Also letters notarized from family members validating their date of separation.

We have everything they ask for as evidence except an insuance policy.
Joint lease, joint bills, purcased car, property, mail to both at our addess, licence for both at our address, e mails when I am in Canada, her phone bill showing daily calls when I am in Canada etc etc.

My only concern is the no divorce issue, I have been told by many consultants as long as we can prove the relationship has ended for over a year we will be ok??

Regards,

Raymond.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
OK you have a good chance of applying for conjugal relationship,Try improve your case with LOTS of pictures with you and HER family at gatherings and social events together to show they accept your relationship,Show pictures of you and her together with her kids if possibile on Holidays events to show you are a family unit.The manual puts weight on picture evidence.Another option that some people have done is have their partners come into Canada under a different type of visa like Student or working then obtain a divorce in Canada then Divorce the Filipino partner in Canada and then you marry in Canada

yenoh07

Jan 29, 2009
i want to join to this topic...i am a filipina, married in the philippines but i acquired my divorce in hongkong last 2001, i am just wondering if the canadian gov't will honor this divorce order? as we all understand there is no divorce in phils but will they consider my documents from hk? i have a boyfriend here , a pr holder who is willing to marry me, but i am not sure if it is possible.

BCguy

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
16-03-1976
yenoh07 said:
i want to join to this topic...i am a filipina, married in the philippines but i acquired my divorce in hongkong last 2001, i am just wondering if the canadian gov't will honor this divorce order? as we all understand there is no divorce in phils but will they consider my documents from hk? i have a boyfriend here , a pr holder who is willing to marry me, but i am not sure if it is possible.
Yes you can legally marry him in Hong Kong then You will have your divorce recognized in Canada,They follow the rule of residence,You are Resident in HK then your are divorced and your boyfriend can marry and sponsor you

Boracay

Apr 5, 2011
Boracay, Philippines
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We are in the same situation as this older topic but

1. The only proof that she has terminated her old marriage is the fact that we have a lot of proof of our relationship, living together, traveling for several months together and so on.

And she wrote a notarized statement stating that she no longer considers herself married or in a relationship with him. That she has no contact with him and has no way of contacting him because she doesn't know his whereabouts. And that she considers herself my common law partner.

She does not have and it's impossible to get him to have any joint statements. He is Nepalese and unlikely even in the country. The story is she was forced into the marriage by her Father and realizing her mistake she ran away and abandoned him. She has explained all this in a letter of exactly what happened.

I noticed that people are recommending to apply as conjugal rather than common law for the issues above?
Why?
We have lived together for a year and have proof. We're planning on applying as Common-Law and not conjugal.
Does anyone know if this is correct or if there are any problems that can arise?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you have lived together for a year and can prove it, you should apply as common law.

emrn

Jun 8, 2011
Makati City, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011 (September 02,2011)
File Transfer...
13-12-2011
Med's Request
13-12-2012 (remeds)
Med's Done....
27-07-2011/ remeds done 19-12-2012
Interview........
13-11-2012 Passed the Eligibility ;)
Passport Req..
27-12-2011 sent the same day
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2013 (DM: 28-03-2013)
LANDED..........
April 19, 2013
I am a married Filipina too but we have seperated for almost 2 years now me and my new partner applied for conjugal partnership we tried to apply for trv twice but was denied maybe because I am a nurse. So we applied for conjugal I made a self affidavit and had it notarized. My ex is not cooperating in any way. We are waiting for results with our application we hope that everything will go smooth we gave them tons of letters from my family and relative and we have a lot of pictures too, we also have a joint account and I am a beneficiary to his insurance. We submitted our app last September. And we are hoping and praying that we'll be together soon. It's really difficult to be far from the person u love.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You were most likely denied for trv because they think you might overstay because you have a Canadian partner. Being denied for trv has no effect on your sponsorship application so hopefully, it will work out for you.

emrn

Jun 8, 2011
Makati City, Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-09-2011 (September 02,2011)
File Transfer...
13-12-2011
Med's Request
13-12-2012 (remeds)
Med's Done....
27-07-2011/ remeds done 19-12-2012
Interview........
13-11-2012 Passed the Eligibility ;)
Passport Req..
27-12-2011 sent the same day
VISA ISSUED...
March 26, 2013 (DM: 28-03-2013)
LANDED..........
April 19, 2013
Leon said:
You were most likely denied for trv because they think you might overstay because you have a Canadian partner. Being denied for trv has no effect on your sponsorship application so hopefully, it will work out for you.
Thanks Leon I really hope so. :)

batchi

Jan 31, 2012
Hello....Just need help regarding my situation hope anyone can help me....

My partner married his first wife in 1995 and we marry 2004. Now he is going to Canada thru LMO he declare me as his spouse in his original application here in Philippines so I can accompany him. His annulment is now on process..My question is if we already in Canada and if he has the court order already for the annulment of his first marriage and we apply for provincial nominee or permanent residency as a couple...does it have an affect on our application if CIC noticed the different marriage indicated in the birth of our child ( on his first marriage and to me ) although the first marriage is annulled? Will CIC question our marriage status since the court order of the annulment was dated after our marriage? Coz in Philippine Law our marriage is null and void since he is legally married when our marriage is done. Is there any possibility our application as spouse be denied.. thanks in advance to all who can help us.....