+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Handing in Application - Binders? Out of status

Aug 14, 2019
Hi everyone I’m Saudi and going to be claiming asylum in the next two weeks WITHIN Canada - I’ve been here for almost 10 years now on legal status but I’ve been OUT OF STATUS for one year now. I haven’t received a removal order or anything . However I am really scared about the process of handing in my application - I have put all forms and evidence in a binder my question is will the officer accept the binders ? Am I wasting time being so organized? Also anyone who’s done the inland refugee process please give me an overview if you can. Gerami Law in Ottawa consulted with me and said I’d likely get approved without any hearing and most likely did not need a lawyer as my case is very obvious and will be approved easily. Though I live in Montreal and I’m a bit scared of racist officers who might accept my application any advice appreciated should I use binders for all my forms and evidence??

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure what binder you have but no you can’t submit a binder. The issue you may face is that you actually haven’t lived in SA for 10 years so it becomes much harder to prove persecution if you haven’t been in the country. You also didn’t claim asylum until you were out of status for a year versus when you arrived in Canada or when you has status which will also likely be brought in up in your application.

Reactions: jddd
Aug 14, 2019
Five very reputable lawyers have said that I will be approved easily most likely without a hearing given situation with Saudi students I came as a student they just can’t help me with the process without an extra fee which all but one said I don’t need a lawyer for - does anybody with experience giving in apps have any insight?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
Five very reputable lawyers have said that I will be approved easily most likely without a hearing given situation with Saudi students I came as a student they just can’t help me with the process without an extra fee which all but one said I don’t need a lawyer for - does anybody with experience giving in apps have any insight?
I have experience with refugee claims of citizens of Saudi. My firm helps with refugee claims pro-bono to those with a strong case and can prove that they have no funds to pay for a lawyer.

Students from Saudi has approached our firm. Not one has given us proof of personal persecution. Everyone has been giving stories of other students who live and study in Saudi or has general news clippings of what is happening in Saudi. Those will fail so we do not waste our time with them.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Pointing out issues that will likely come up in your case. The longer you have been out of the country the harder it is to prove that you are being persecuted. The other issue is that you have been in Canada for 10 years but you never applied for asylum. You didn’t even apply when SA pulled it’s support for students in Canada and you waited a year. I assume the reason for you needing asylum were present the whole time.

Reactions: jddd
Aug 14, 2019
I am gay And was married to a Canadian for three years we were in the process of sponsorship but we then decided to separate due to certain unexpected issues we got a formal divorce this is why every lawyer has said I’d be approved

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
That’s more the basis of my case but I didn’t want to reveal it here any way can I submit binders? Anyone know lol
Well if you’ve been personally persecuted for being gay and can prove it, that may give some hope. Being a student from Saudi won’t. Good luck.