+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H4 to Canda PR

navnpn

Sep 25, 2018
Hi ,
I am on H4 and living in the US as a dependent and we don't have i140 yet .We just got our Canada PR but husband has a very good job in the US and probability of him getting transferred to Canada are slim . I have following questions
a) Can I work remotely as an independent contractor availing my Canada PR while being in the US(for a Canadian employer or American ) ,my salary would go to my Canadian bank account while my american bank account will not get any direct deposits .At the end of the year , we will file taxes separately in Canada and in the US . Is this legally valid ?
b)If the above option doesn't work ,can we move to a city closer to Canada border on the US side and keep travelling ?
c) If I travel very frequently being on H4 visa in between Canada and the US ,would it create any legal issues ?

fr72

Jan 6, 2017
Hi ,
I am on H4 and living in the US as a dependent and we don't have i140 yet .We just got our Canada PR but husband has a very good job in the US and probability of him getting transferred to Canada are slim . I have following questions
a) Can I work remotely as an independent contractor availing my Canada PR while being in the US(for a Canadian employer or American ) ,my salary would go to my Canadian bank account while my american bank account will not get any direct deposits .At the end of the year , we will file taxes separately in Canada and in the US . Is this legally valid ?
b)If the above option doesn't work ,can we move to a city closer to Canada border on the US side and keep travelling ?
c) If I travel very frequently being on H4 visa in between Canada and the US ,would it create any legal issues ?
a) No, you cannot do that.
b) For you to work, you have to work on the Canada side, not the US side. You can live on any side as long as you work in Canada physically.
c) No issues, but it will likely cause extra scrutiny on your Canadian citizenship application and you will have to track each and every crossing accurately.