Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
I was in the US at the time of the executive order, so I don't think the ban applies to me, but I don't know if there are any other documents that I should bring besides the usual H-1b interview documents?
Correct, you should be exempted from ban.
Documents: I797, employer letter, recent payslip if any, previous w2 if any. If posted at client site then client letter with project detail and roles over there will help.
Additional: Copy of I-129, copy of LCA.

Note: Make sure that you take full page of the I797(without the bottom portion torn or at least staple it while showing it to consular) because they will get confused on whether your status was actually extended or not. I was questioned once on where the bottom portion is. Luckily i had it stapled in the i94 and told that my same I94 was extended hence i was not out of status.
Hi Hariraj,

No, i was talking about going to US and returning back to Canada. Even officer got confused, when i have asked this questions. he was like yes, you can go back to US if its a 1 day stay in Canada. Then i clarified him, its the other way round.

Yes, i am planning to commute from Canada.
No issues coming back to Canada.

For those of you who are not Canadian citizens, did you run into any trouble because you're applying for a visa outside your home country?

Also, how did you request emergency appointments?
I work at a university as a postdoc in Michigan, but I can't think of a compelling reason(?) to make my case urgent
If you are moving then you are resident hence no issues. Also many come to Canada just for stamping. NO issues for them too only problem is that if they are stuck at admin processing for weeks then they need to plan to stay for longer.

Yes, nowadays they are giving appointments only for emergency. If there is no real need of visa immediately then they wont be approving your request even if you request. But i suggest that you start entering detail, pay the fee and ready to book appointment what ever you get(or whenever you get one, just book for jan-feb-mar-apr) and then check daily to prepone.

Last edited:
Reactions: dry.00 and swan0206

GDD

Oct 16, 2020
Hi All,

I have a question regarding emergency appointment for H4 visa. My wife and I have been in US since 2019. My wife is currently in US on H1B and I am also currently in US based on pending H1 to H4 change of status application. Since H1 to H4 change of status application takes a lot of time, I am considering going to Canada to get H4 visa stamped and come back to US on H4. I also have a canadian PR. If I go to Canada, will the US embassy/consulate in Canada allow me for emergency appointment for H4 visa?

Thank you,
GDD

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
If I go to Canada, will the US embassy/consulate in Canada allow me for emergency appointment for H4 visa?
In Canada(unlike in India) they are not allowing/approving emergency appointment for the time being without any real need for visa.
So dont move without the appointment confirmed if you plan to come just for stamping.

But you dont need to wait if you would do H4 stamping in Canada in the next 1 year:
1. First create the account and start adding application and pay the fee and block some appointment.
2. If at all you need visa quickly and you think that you have good reason to request expediting the appointment then you can do it through the website and see if they approve.
3. If appointment approved then travel to Canada.(but no idea if they will approve while you are in US but there is certainly no guarantee that they will approve appointment even if you are in Canada).

GDD

Oct 16, 2020
In Canada(unlike in India) they are not allowing/approving emergency appointment for the time being without any real need for visa.
So dont move without the appointment confirmed if you plan to come just for stamping.

But you dont need to wait if you would do H4 stamping in Canada in the next 1 year:
1. First create the account and start adding application and pay the fee and block some appointment.
2. If at all you need visa quickly and you think that you have good reason to request expediting the appointment then you can do it through the website and see if they approve.
3. If appointment approved then travel to Canada.(but no idea if they will approve while you are in US but there is certainly no guarantee that they will approve appointment even if you are in Canada).
Thank you harirajmohan for the response. My wife is here in the US and is working. Is that a legitimate reason for emergency appointment under proclamation exemptions? I am looking to quickly get H4 approved, as currently not being is any status (i.e. I am on period of authorized stay) is hindering my work prospects.

Thank you,
GDD

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thank you harirajmohan for the response. My wife is here in the US and is working. Is that a legitimate reason for emergency appointment under proclamation exemptions? I am looking to quickly get H4 approved, as currently not being is any status (i.e. I am on period of authorized stay) is hindering my work prospects.

Thank you,
GDD
Proclamation exemption is for getting exemption from visa ban but not for expediting the appointment.
We four in this forum applied for expediting the appointment and they approved only for 3 of us currently. So certainly they dont approve 100% of requests and at the same time you are not discouraged to apply but dont travel/move just for this as there is no guarantee to get the slot.

As you are already in US, its difficult to get expedite appointment since there is no emergency need for visa unless there is an emergency to travel outisde of US.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/exceptions-to-p-p-10014-10052-suspending-entry-of-immigrants-non-immigrants-presenting-risk-to-us-labor-market-during-economic-recovery.html
"While a visa applicant subject to one or more Proclamations might meet an exception, the applicant must first be approved for an emergency appointment request.....
in which case they may not be able to accommodate your request unless the proposed travel is deemed emergency or mission critical "

Last edited:

GDD

Oct 16, 2020
Thank you, @harirajmohan! Yes, it was odd to see that one of the members did not get emergency appointment even though their spouse was in US. Very odd, as such request are being approved in India.

var18

Oct 19, 2020
Hi Everyone, I would like to know if anyone of you have attended H1B visa appointment without qualifying under NIE. Please let me know. TIA

Last edited:

var18

Oct 19, 2020
HI All, I have specific question regarding working in US while my PR application is pending. Currently I am in Canada and I have received ITA(CEC and Arranged employment) and in the process of submitting the documents. In the mean time my H1 is approved from the same employer and have got an appointment in Jan. My employer is asking me to Join US operations as soon as I get the stamping. My question is once I submit the PR can I travel to US and wait until PR is approved?
Thank You ...
Hi Andy, I have the same question. Can you please let me know if you find out anything

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
So I finished filling out DS-160 and paid the 190 USD interview fee.
There are no interviews available for Toronto at the moment...I can request an emergency interview, but I don't know how I should word the email.
Are there any tips?
I'm commuting daily to Michigan using AVR, so I don't know if my emergency request will be approved...

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
So I finished filling out DS-160 and paid the 190 USD interview fee.
There are no interviews available for Toronto at the moment...I can request an emergency interview, but I don't know how I should word the email.
Are there any tips?
I'm commuting daily to Michigan using AVR, so I don't know if my emergency request will be approved...
1. Just write a simple email in the angle of requesting to an govt official. It should be fine. Also dont write to multiple consulates hence write only once to one consulate.
2. As per website, one needs to quarantine for 14 days before you can attend interview. So you need to plan accordingly.
Before approving IamBeingPatient's request, they confirmed with him if he was inside the country for at least 14 days.
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/announcements
3. Still they are providing only limited services/appointments hence its going to be tough to get emergency requests approved without immediate need for visa in short term. Hopefully they will start with regular appointments from Jan, if ban expires(or state dept instructs to open consulates for regular appointments).
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/

Last edited:
Reactions: mspatil1985

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
1. Just write a simple email in the angle of requesting to an govt official. It should be fine. Also dont write to multiple consulates hence write only once to one consulate.
2. As per website, one needs to quarantine for 14 days before you can attend interview. So you need to plan accordingly.
Before approving IamBeingPatient's request, they confirmed with him if he was inside the country for at least 14 days.
https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv/information/announcements
3. Still they are providing only limited services/appointments hence its going to be tough to get emergency requests approved without immediate need for visa in short term. Hopefully they will start with regular appointments from Jan, if ban expires(or state dept instructs to open consulates for regular appointments).
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/consular-operations-updates/
I sent an email to TorontoPassport@state.gov, but I just got automated email replies saying that emergency appointments are only going to be made for people with confirmed flights.
Emergency appointments are only available for those with confirmed flight itineraries, please provide your flight itinerary in your response to torontopassport@state.gov if you are seeking an emergency appointment.
Second aumated email says:
If you have an emergency matter and need to travel immediately, please follow the guidance provided at  https://ais.usvisa-info.com/en-ca/niv or contact  +1 (418) 478-1369 to request an emergency appointment.  Any request for an emergency appointment must include the date and purpose of travel, and applicants will be asked to present proof of travel at the time of the interview.  Please do not request an emergency appointment until 14 days before your travel, as we will not be able to accommodate your request.
Not really sure on what to do here, since I drive to Michigan for work, I don't have any flight itinerary.
Any advice on what to do next?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I sent an email to TorontoPassport@state.gov, but I just got automated email replies saying that emergency appointments are only going to be made for people with confirmed flights.

Second aumated email says:

Not really sure on what to do here, since I drive to Michigan for work, I don't have any flight itinerary.
Any advice on what to do next?
Looks like that email id is for citizens hence thinking you need the passport from them. But they should eventually read and respond tomorrow. Wait for it.
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/toronto/
There was some other forum member who emailed since he could not request through the website. Not sure which email if it was TRTNIV@state.gov.

var18

Oct 19, 2020
Hi, did anyone attend emergency visa appointment for H1B stamping in Toronto Canada? And received stamped visa without 221G or Administrating processing? Please let me know and TIA.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
Looks like that email id is for citizens hence thinking you need the passport from them. But they should eventually read and respond tomorrow. Wait for it.
https://ca.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulates/toronto/
There was some other forum member who emailed since he could not request through the website. Not sure which email if it was TRTNIV@state.gov.
Thanks for the reply.
I'll wait and see what they have to say.

I'm crossing the border everyday using AVR, but sometimes I get an agent that wants a full explanation, and I'm just sick of questions