+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

SirCharles

Nov 20, 2021
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I wanted to know if anyone has secured an In person appointment at Toronto consulate recently? I see a lot of cases where people have picked drop box. But it does like that takes a lot of time. Frankly, I don't have that option . I don't know anyone in Canada, I will have to pay for a hotel for the entire duration of the stay.
I can imagine that in person interviews usually grant decision on the spot. They take a few days to actually process the visa and stamp it on the passport. I would prefer that , but only if appointments are actually available.

Thanks

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I wanted to know if anyone has secured an In person appointment at Toronto consulate recently? I see a lot of cases where people have picked drop box. But it does like that takes a lot of time. Frankly, I don't have that option . I don't know anyone in Canada, I will have to pay for a hotel for the entire duration of the stay.
I can imagine that in person interviews usually grant decision on the spot. They take a few days to actually process the visa and stamp it on the passport. I would prefer that , but only if appointments are actually available.

Thanks
Yes, in person interviews have been quicker per the experiences posted but you cannot decide yourself if you want in person or dropbox. Once you answer all the questions, the system decides if you qualify for in person or drobox.

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Posting my dropbox experience:

Nov 11, Thursday: Submitted passport
Nov 12, Passport delivered, case created. I sent an email to consulate requesting to expedite, explaining my situation.
Nov 15, Monday: Administrative processing
Nov 16, Status updated to issued
Nov 19, Passport available for pickup

SirCharles

Nov 20, 2021
Yes, in person interviews have been quicker per the experiences posted but you cannot decide yourself if you want in person or dropbox. Once you answer all the questions, the system decides if you qualify for in person or drobox.
Oh , that's interesting. I did not expect that.

Also, just be clear. Even for dropbox, applicants have to deliver the documents , including passport, to the consulate in person only? Or can we submit them without entering Canada ?

kumar135

May 27, 2020
Posting my dropbox experience:

Nov 11, Thursday: Submitted passport
Nov 12, Passport delivered, case created. I sent an email to consulate requesting to expedite, explaining my situation.
Nov 15, Monday: Administrative processing
Nov 16, Status updated to issued
Nov 19, Passport available for pickup
Did you mail it to Ottawa or Toronto Consulate? Its been more than 10 days for me since it got delivered but have not heard anything yet.

spikyshotgun

Jul 26, 2020
Oh , that's interesting. I did not expect that.

Also, just be clear. Even for dropbox, applicants have to deliver the documents , including passport, to the consulate in person only? Or can we submit them without entering Canada ?
In theory, someone else could drop off your documents and pick them up for you but I would absolutely NOT recommend doing that. They sometimes have you come in for interview after reviewing your application. So, you could get stuck outside Canada without your passport.

visa_hammock

Dec 2, 2021
We (H1+H4) dropped our application via UPS to Ottawa Consulate on Friday Nov26th. Its been approximately 1 week as of today but yet there is no status update. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an update on DS-160 status?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
We (H1+H4) dropped our application via UPS to Ottawa Consulate on Friday Nov26th. Its been approximately 1 week as of today but yet there is no status update. Does anyone know how long it takes to get an update on DS-160 status?
Dropboxes are taking a while. Anywhere between 2weeks to 1months to receive back the passport as per few people in this forum.

Sinha.616

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
Could you please tell how long ago was your ds-160 submitted? I m debating to get stamping either from India or Canada. If I submit by ds-160 next week and if get drop box, then how long it take to get appointment for drop box. I haven't submitted mine yet but wanted to confirm the appointment availability first.

visa_hammock

Dec 2, 2021
Could you please tell how long ago was your ds-160 submitted? I m debating to get stamping either from India or Canada. If I submit by ds-160 next week and if get drop box, then how long it take to get appointment for drop box. I haven't submitted mine yet but wanted to confirm the appointment availability first.
There is no appointment necessary in Canada for dropbox. You simply have to mail in the documents to the address they provide and then wait for the passport to be issued to either CPC locations they provide or with premium delivery to your home address in Canada. I submitted my ds-160 Nov 20th drove across the border from USA and dropped my package in on Nov 26th. I am hearing there is a 4-6weeks wait from the day you drop your package. They are extremely short staffed is the reason I got over the phone with embassy in Ottawa. Airbnb's are expensive too if you are doing that :) factor all these things in before you decide to come here. Its been 11days as of today no status update on my ds-160.

Sinha.616

Star Member
Oct 12, 2016
There is no appointment necessary in Canada for dropbox. You simply have to mail in the documents to the address they provide and then wait for the passport to be issued to either CPC locations they provide or with premium delivery to your home address in Canada. I submitted my ds-160 Nov 20th drove across the border from USA and dropped my package in on Nov 26th. I am hearing there is a 4-6weeks wait from the day you drop your package. They are extremely short staffed is the reason I got over the phone with embassy in Ottawa. Airbnb's are expensive too if you are doing that :) factor all these things in before you decide to come here. Its been 11days as of today no status update on my ds-160.
Thank you, this is very helpful to know. I do have h1b visa stamp (from India) that expired in 2020 so i am thinking i will be eligible for drop box but i will need to fill out all information and wait for them to confirm. Were you in the similar situation as me?