+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
I still see my appointment online but they usually send an email saying appointment will be cancelled and then one saying it has been cancelled. I'm pretty sure it is as good as cancelled now.
Yes, that is right. it will be cancelled.
I received email as well for cancellation but the Online account still says Attend Appointment - Is this normal?
Yes, Better you can start rescheduling it now for any nearest date.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
WTF they're still canceling appointments?
How much longer are they planning on holding us in limbo?
This is very frustrating

seaheart521

Star Member
Jul 23, 2020
This is very frustrating
this is so stupid. i just rescheduled my appointment. not sure why they are still cancelling appointment - the ban was lifted in March!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
This is very frustrating
With the third wave hitting soon, I doubt when are they going to resume these appointments and literally the vaccination is going on at snail's pace.

Jul 22, 2020
@swan0206 I have been in Canada for 6 months now as my h1b visa stamp expired in sep. I just got my passport renewed. Given that I have been in Canada for so long, can I request for an emergency h1b appointment?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
@swan0206 I have been in Canada for 6 months now as my h1b visa stamp expired in sep. I just got my passport renewed. Given that I have been in Canada for so long, can I request for an emergency h1b appointment?
If you and your family are living long distance(in US and Canada) yes you can request an emergency appointment based on the reason that family seperation. But if you are single i do not think emergency appointment would be accepted. There needs to be very strong reason for emergency apptmnt to be approved. Also, did you already had an previous appointment that is scheduled/has been cancelled?

Last edited:

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
If you and your family are living seperated yes you can request an emergency appointment. But if you are single i do not think emergency appointment would be accepted. There needs to be very strong reason for emergency apptmnt to be approved. Also, did you already had an previous appointment that is scheduled/has been cancelled?
I am also in similar situation (although I have managed to schedule my interview in October 2021). I currently use AVR to go to MI for work on as need basis. My initial thought was the availability of AVR will mean that they would not qualify me as someone who needs emergency appointment, right?

Jul 22, 2020
@swan0206 My wife works in Canada. I haven't scheduled any appointment yet as I am awaiting for new passport. My company will open back offices sooner than later as the vaccinations in US ramps up and they will require me to be in office in Illinois. I was flying Chicago(Monday to Thursday) to Toronto(Thursday to Monday in Toronto) before the pandemic and was doing couple of months in Canada and couple in US post Mar2020. I have been in Canada since Sep to renew my passport and get the visa stamped with approved I797 until 2023.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
@swan0206 My wife works in Canada. I haven't scheduled any appointment yet as I am awaiting for new passport. My company will open back offices sooner than later as the vaccinations in US ramps up and they will require me to be in office in Illinois. I was flying Chicago(Monday to Thursday) to Toronto(Thursday to Monday in Toronto) before the pandemic and was doing couple of months in Canada and couple in US post Mar2020. I have been in Canada since Sep to renew my passport and get the visa stamped with approved I797 until 2023.
May be you can show that reason of you being stuck here and your offices will be opening soon you need to enter back. This can be shown as emergency. The way you present it explaining them real need for you to be present in office, you may be approved. But again, you should have an appointment already scheduled to do this. Do not attempt to book a slot now and request an emergency immediately, chances would be less, give it sometime like atleast a month and then request.
I am also in similar situation (although I have managed to schedule my interview in October 2021). I currently use AVR to go to MI for work on as need basis. My initial thought was the availability of AVR will mean that they would not qualify me as someone who needs emergency appointment, right?
Even i am not sure on this. May be someone who has done this can give their views as i am also waiting for appointments to be opened and using AVR.

Reactions: AjeyaGupta

ilikebabyelephent

Feb 14, 2021
Hi Friends, I received my H1B capexempt petition approval recently. I'm trying to schedule an appointment for visa stamping from Toronto office. The next available date I can see on the portal as Mar-2022 ( almost a year ). My question is, what are the chances of preponing the interview date once book the Mar-2022 slot ? Or do you think it's wise to travel India and get it done way sooner ( I heard slots are available in India with couple of months wait period )?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi Friends, I received my H1B capexempt petition approval recently. I'm trying to schedule an appointment for visa stamping from Toronto office. The next available date I can see on the portal as Mar-2022 ( almost a year ). My question is, what are the chances of preponing the interview date once book the Mar-2022 slot ? Or do you think it's wise to travel India and get it done way sooner ( I heard slots are available in India with couple of months wait period )?
You can always pre-pone if you find a nearest date for eg: next month. But India travel, you never know with the covid cases surge, there may/maynot be some restrictions coming in place.

dry.00

Oct 4, 2018
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

US State Dept announced that it changed the travel advisory levels to Level 4 - Do Not Travel for 200 countries, including Canada.
I don't know if this will affect the consulate activities since this is for Americans trying to go abroad, but it sure isn't good news.

Good luck, everyone.

My appointment is coming up in August, but it may seem like I may need to reschedule...

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/traveladvisories.html/

US State Dept announced that it changed the travel advisory levels to Level 4 - Do Not Travel for 200 countries, including Canada.
I don't know if this will affect the consulate activities since this is for Americans trying to go abroad, but it sure isn't good news.

Good luck, everyone.

My appointment is coming up in August, but it may seem like I may need to reschedule...
Yeah. This will go on forever.
Why do you want to reschedule? Mine is in August as well. Lets see what they have to say. If they cancel , we do not have any other option but to reschedule.

canprofus

Dec 20, 2019

Good luck, everyone.

if they need to classify, even US would fall in that level. Canada was updated one or two weeks back to that level.

if they ban entry from Canada, forget visa appointment, even commuting would have to be stopped. both these things go hand in hand. so that should be bigger worry than getting an appointment.