+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B visa appointment availability

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
It hardly take 30 mins to fill new one. Any appointment date showing for Montreal now?

Once you book the appointment then there will be a way from home page(click on continue and then you would see links like reschedule, cancel, request expedite etc).
Finally court has now stopped the ban hence they might start soon on regular appointments.
oh that is right but i had rushed and booked for montreal date april 8th.

so now , heres what i can do, i will fill a new one with montreal location and update that ds160 number in this site?
would i be able to edit that . any idea.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

so now , heres what i can do, i will fill a new one with montreal location and update that ds160 number in this site?
After booking appointment it doesnt allow to edit the DS160 number.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Can you still use AVR to re-enter the US if you book a visa appointment?
Booking visa appointment is not applying for visa till the appointment date.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019

Hi hariraj,

My wife's expediate request has been refused from Montreal us consulate. Is it possible to request from Toronto if possible by changing the date? or there wouldnt be no more expediate request

thanks

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi hariraj,

My wife's expediate request has been refused from Montreal us consulate. Is it possible to request from Toronto if possible by changing the date? or there wouldnt be no more expediate request

thanks
No idea how they are tracking but the eligibility of emergency requests are same for any consulate in Canada. If the reason is not qualified as emergency then i doubt that you would get it approved in some other consulate.

Its risky if you keep applying to multiple consulates (same like i told other member not to request multiple consulates) and if they have common database to track emergency requests then it will be a problem for you to even get normal appointment. I may be wrong but if i were you then i wont be comfortable requesting some other consulate within the same country.

For India locations, the traveldocs website shows that H4 can request for emergency appointment but its not shown the same for Canada.

Per website while i was requesting emergency appointment, i remember that it was mentioned to request only once.

I dont know the reason you requested but possibly its an not emergency/issue which requires visa to solve it. Mine is not emergency but i have financial loss due to double rent hence they approved for me i think. So its possible that they dont approve for everyone in Canada(whoever requests without any real issues or emergency). If you dont mind (we dont judge anyone) then you can post the reason you requested or see if your reason has real need for visa even if its not emergency so that you know why they rejected. Did they give reason for rejection as i thought they wont reply at all (which is the indication of rejection)?

But its your call at the end to request another consulate hence decide based on the consequences if it all if it goes wrong.

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
No idea how they are tracking but the eligibility of emergency requests are same for any consulate in Canada. If the reason is not qualified as emergency then i doubt that you would get it approved in some other consulate.

Its risky if you keep applying to multiple consulates (same like i told other member not to request multiple consulates) and if they have common database to track emergency requests then it will be a problem for you to even get normal appointment. I may be wrong but if i were you then i wont be comfortable requesting some other consulate within the same country.

For India locations, the traveldocs website shows that H4 can request for emergency appointment but its not shown the same for Canada.

I dont know the reason you requested but possibly its an not emergency/issue which requires visa to solve it. Mine is not emergency but i have financial loss due to double rent hence they approved for me i think. So its possible that they dont approve for everyone in Canada(whoever requests without any real issues or emergency). If you dont mind (we dont judge anyone) then you can post the reason you requested or see if your reason has real need for visa even if its not emergency so that you know why they rejected. Did they give reason for rejection as i thought they wont reply at all (which is the indication of rejection)?

But its you call at the end to request another consulate hence decide based on the consequences if it all if it goes wrong.
yes, its same , my wife is in Canada and i stay in U.S , i put a reason as Family re-unification ,emotional stress !! is it because its too early. because my wife travelled there only a week ago and i requested appointment for 14th of this month. Also i have requested expediate request on the second day of booking the slot. Was it too early to request expediate.

Thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
is it because its too early. because my wife travelled there only a week ago and i requested appointment for 14th of this month. Also i have requested expediate request on the second day of booking the slot. Was it too early to request expediate.
Sorry buddy, But i doubt that thats a problem. I think that usandcanada did not have appointment earlier.

As the court is now blocked the ban, hopefully they will start regular appointments soon.
Not sure why consulates still are not opening for regular appointments when all the countries economy has been opened up.

Last edited:

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Sorry buddy, But i doubt that thats a problem. I think that usandcanada did not have appointment earlier.

As the court is now blocked the ban, hopefully they will start regular appointments soon.
Not sure why consulates still are not opening for regular appointments when all the countries economy has been opened up.
yes, hope they re-open soon. All the best for you interview.

Reactions: harirajmohan

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
H4 interview. My wife attended at Toronto.

At consulate: At the first counter the lady was collecting the ds160(took only the old one even though new ds160 was provided but new photo was scanned the consular and returned)
Interview:
Q: Oh you are coming for H1. I love H1 visa.( my reaction after hearing:rolleyes: )
A: No, its my husband's. I am here for H4.
Q: Oh ok. Give me copy of I797.
A: No, i have only original.
Q: Give/Show me marriage certificate.
A: Gave/Shown. Shown the visa copy of H1 too.
Q: Is he working and commuting to US?
A: Yes
Q: Is he working from home?
A: Yes due to pandemic. He goes only for meetings nowadays.
Q: Were you there on June22.
A: No.
Q: Can you repeat/show the documents again. (Seems officer was not clear on something - he was scrambling by keeping some documents in the file and taking out and repeating like another time)
A: Shown and explained.
Q: Which company and which location he works
A: Answered.
Q: We need to do some admin processing and you dont need to do anything and kept the passport. Gave the green form(which checkmarked for administrative processing)

Checked the status of ds160 within an hour and its updated as refused. But they still say that they will be updating the status after admin processing if officer told they are going to do admin processing. So not sure if they will actually issue visa. Dont know why they have not updated as admin processing as usual and then change the status to issued/refused. Seems strange - may be this is the norm for few officers to do admin processing. No idea but not feeling like he likes to issue the visa since H4 candidate was not there in US in June while EO was enacted or he doesnt want to issue the visa for H4 if H1 is not currently working in US physically.

I wonder how officer is not knowing the exemption of the EO issued by State Dept for H4 for those whose H1 spouse is exempt from EO. I dont like this guy with his first comment itself which makes me think that he is not the right person for the job.:rolleyes:
I will post here once i get the passport.

Refusal status:
A U.S. consular officer has adjudicated and refused your visa application. Please follow any instructions provided by the consular officer. If you were informed by the consular officer that your case was refused for administrative processing, your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing. You will receive another adjudication once such processing is complete. Please be advised that the processing time varies and that you will be contacted if additional information is needed. For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV or the website for the Embassy or Consulate at which you made your visa application.
For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Toronto.

Notes for others:
Take copy of I797(even if you carry original).
Take marriage certificate
(In India they dont even ask for the candidates after their first stamping but was surprised to hear why visa officer asked for my wife - possibly officer is new and not knowing if h4 candidate was in US earlier on H4).

Last edited:

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Toronto is always unpredictable. I got a 221g , 2 years ago for no reason. Maybe they don't have officers staying enough time there to go thru all types of cases and hence the 221g's.
True. Possibly they put lot of new/temporary officers who dont have much experience since its Canada(where they get less traffic from local to seek visas due to Canada being the visa waived country for most visas than any other country).

Andyscm15

Feb 29, 2020
HI All, I have specific question regarding working in US while my PR application is pending. Currently I am in Canada and I have received ITA(CEC and Arranged employment) and in the process of submitting the documents. In the mean time my H1 is approved from the same employer and have got an appointment in Jan. My employer is asking me to Join US operations as soon as I get the stamping. My question is once I submit the PR can I travel to US and wait until PR is approved?
Thank You ...

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
H4 interview. My wife attended at Toronto.

At consulate: At the first counter the lady was collecting the ds160(took only the old one even though new ds160 was provided but new photo was scanned the consular and returned)
Interview:
Q: Oh you are coming for H1. I love H1 visa.( my reaction after hearing:rolleyes: )
A: No, its my husband's. I am here for H4.
Q: Oh ok. Give me copy of I797.
A: No, i have only original.
Q: Give/Show me marriage certificate.
A: Gave/Shown. Shown the visa copy of H1 too.
Q: Is he working and commuting to US?
A: Yes
Q: Is he working from home?
A: Yes due to pandemic. He goes only for meetings nowadays.
Q: Were you there on June22.
A: No.
Q: Can you repeat/show the documents again. (Seems officer was not clear on something - he was scrambling by keeping some documents in the file and taking out and repeating like another time)
A: Shown and explained.
Q: Which company and which location he works
A: Answered.
Q: We need to do some admin processing and you dont need to do anything and kept the passport. Gave the green form(which checkmarked for administrative processing)

Checked the status of ds160 within an hour and its updated as refused. But they still say that they will be updating the status after admin processing if officer told they are going to do admin processing. So not sure if they will actually issue visa. Dont know why they have not updated as admin processing as usual and then change the status to issued/refused. Seems strange - may be this is the norm for few officers to do admin processing. No idea but not feeling like he likes to issue the visa since H4 candidate was not there in US in June while EO was enacted or he doesnt want to issue the visa for H4 if H1 is not currently working in US physically.

I wonder how officer is not knowing the exemption of the EO issued by State Dept for H4 for those whose H1 spouse is exempt from EO. I dont like this guy with his first comment itself which makes me think that he is not the right person for the job.:rolleyes:
I will post here once i get the passport.

Refusal status:
A U.S. consular officer has adjudicated and refused your visa application. Please follow any instructions provided by the consular officer. If you were informed by the consular officer that your case was refused for administrative processing, your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing. You will receive another adjudication once such processing is complete. Please be advised that the processing time varies and that you will be contacted if additional information is needed. For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV or the website for the Embassy or Consulate at which you made your visa application.
For more information, please visit U.S. Consulate General Toronto.

Notes for others:
Take copy of I797(even if you carry original).
Take marriage certificate
(In India they dont even ask for the candidates after their first stamping but was surprised to hear why visa officer asked for my wife - possibly officer is new and not knowing if h4 candidate was in US earlier on H4).
Hi Hariraj,

Are you doing commute every month? If yes, how are you doing it. i want to know few details:

a)If commuting through road, do you drive your Canadian car or do you take a rental everytime.
b)If by air, how smooth is the process for every 30days starting from the pandemic.
c)Also, when you enter US how long do you stay there, i mean do you also do 14-day quarantine and come back or just 2 or 3 days is also fine. Do we get questioned at Canada border for that(staying 2 or 3 days).

Thanks in Adv.