+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B travel to USA after completing soft-landing in Canada

starsky30

Jun 30, 2021
Hello all,

I'm on H1b working in USA. I just got my Canadian PR , soft-landed and now flying back to USA. Can you guys share your experiences on recent travel in 2021 back to USA from Canada? Any info is helpful in terms of what to expect.

Thanks,

gprawtap

Feb 3, 2021
Hello all,

I'm on H1b working in USA. I just got my Canadian PR , soft-landed and now flying back to USA. Can you guys share your experiences on recent travel in 2021 back to USA from Canada? Any info is helpful in terms of what to expect.

Thanks,
Hi
I am planning to do something similar. I'm in the US on an H1B. We'll be driving to Canada for the first time with the CoPR. We're planning to make a trip to the US within 30 days so as to use the AVR. Are there any restrictions for traveling to the US? I think as long as you have a job in the US, you are eligible to travel right?
Thanks,

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi
I am planning to do something similar. I'm in the US on an H1B. We'll be driving to Canada for the first time with the CoPR. We're planning to make a trip to the US within 30 days so as to use the AVR. Are there any restrictions for traveling to the US? I think as long as you have a job in the US, you are eligible to travel right?
Thanks,
No restrictions. you are right. as long as you have a job in US you are good to go.

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hi
Thanks,
I am also doing similar next week. Although I will be there for 7-8 days and will be using AVR to come back. There are no restrictions as far as I know. You need to have valid I797 in which I94 is also attached.

Reactions: gprawtap

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
Hi
Thanks,
I think you need to be careful about it. Crossing the land border is not the same a flying and I believe there are restrictions for temporary residents (such as H1B holder).

Edit: I am honestly having a hard time in understanding which are the requirements for re-entering US by land from Canada. If someone has a clear and useful link, please go ahead!

Kayd789

Aug 25, 2021
I think you need to be careful about it. Crossing the land border is not the same a flying and I believe there are restrictions for temporary residents (such as H1B holder).

Edit: I am honestly having a hard time in understanding which are the requirements for re-entering US by land from Canada. If someone has a clear and useful link, please go ahead!
Hello, even we are planning to soft land but flying to Toronto and coming back in a week so we can use AVR. I am not sure about border rules, it isnt clear if h1b holders will be allowed. Can anyone share experience of soft landing by flying into canada. It would be great. Can we have a return ticket or safer to buy after landing.

Reactions: matteosc

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019

I have got on a call with Department of Homeland Security 4-5 days back and confirmed via call from them that I would have no issues in coming back.

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
I have got on a call with Department of Homeland Security 4-5 days back and confirmed via call from them that I would have no issues in coming back.
This is a really good news. Did you ask specifically about crossing by land? Can you share more details about what they told you?

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
This is a really good news. Did you ask specifically about crossing by land? Can you share more details about what they told you?
Yes I gave every specific details and he said I was okay to travel. Rest 1% there is a chance of going wrong in everything so will just do the best I can because I have to land in Canada before Oct end and that I can't take any chances for.

Kayd789

Aug 25, 2021
Yes I gave every specific details and he said I was okay to travel. Rest 1% there is a chance of going wrong in everything so will just do the best I can because I have to land in Canada before Oct end and that I can't take any chances for.
Thank you for detailed responses. I have to land before November, we have decided to fly in Toronto soon. Hoping to get things resolved. Will share my experience once back.

gprawtap

Feb 3, 2021
Thanks for confirming.
Do you or anyone know if one needs to export and import their own car in case the plan is to drive to Canada on a valid CoPR and drive back to the US within 30 days?

starsky30

Jun 30, 2021
Hi all -- here's my experience. Hope this helps.. I took the train to Buffalo and then Uber to Fort Erie -- very seamless and easy process at the border.. Returned by flight (I'm on H1b) after 2 weeks. Again very smooth at the airport. Hope this helps.

gprawtap

Feb 3, 2021
Hi all -- here's my experience. Hope this helps.. I took the train to Buffalo and then Uber to Fort Erie -- very seamless and easy process at the border.. Returned by flight (I'm on H1b) after 2 weeks. Again very smooth at the airport. Hope this helps.
So you were able to take Uber across Canada and user AVR on your flight back?