+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B travel to USA after completing soft-landing in Canada

siddsin

Star Member
Sep 27, 2019
Soft landing experience -

Flight from Chicago to Toronto on September 24th. Waiting in line for around 30-49 minutes. Once our turn came, the landing was approved within 5 minutes.

Stayed in Toronto for a week and travelled back today via flight from Toronto to Chicago. No questions asked at the airport.

My spouse and I had expired h1b and H4 on our passports. Used AVR to re-enter.

let me know if anyone has any questions.

santaguy

Star Member
Jun 6, 2018

Flight from Chicago to Toronto on September 24th. Waiting in line for around 30-49 minutes. Once our turn came, the landing was approved within 5 minutes.

Stayed in Toronto for a week and travelled back today via flight from Toronto to Chicago. No questions asked at the airport.

Thanks for sharing this. Did the airline ask any questions regarding an expired Visa? Do they allow to board the flight on an expired Visa from Canada?

Reactions: siddsin

santaguy

Star Member
Jun 6, 2018
Nope. We just gave them copies of our i797 with the expired visas (in the passport).

One more question. Did you go through Quarantine process? As you returned back in 7 days, Did they ask you to isolate yourself for 7 days?

dehemnani

Jun 9, 2020
I was able to re-enter using AVR. There was no testing or quarantine requirement.
i drove from Vancouver to Seattle on Oct 7th.

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019

Hi Sid, I was hoping to follow this route. I will be traveling with a valid H1B to Toronto and back via air. Did you have any issues at Canadian immigration for only staying a week? Any chance I could pick your brain over a DM or phone call? Most people here are doing it via land borders, would really appreciate some insight on the air travel from the US.

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Hi all -- here's my experience. Hope this helps.. I took the train to Buffalo and then Uber to Fort Erie -- very seamless and easy process at the border.. Returned by flight (I'm on H1b) after 2 weeks. Again very smooth at the airport. Hope this helps.
Hi @starsky30, what was immigration like back to the US? do you complete the process with US CBP in toronto or after you land in the US? Did you get asked why you were in Canada/have to explain the PR-H1B situation? Other than valid visa+I-797, did you carry anything else (paystubs, employment letter etc)?

DixvilleNotch

Mar 11, 2019
Hello All

So here is my experience for Soft Landing and coming back to USA using AVR. I also had my passport renewed so my expired Visa was on old Passport. Expect secondary inspection on both sides as I am sure everybody knows they don't just let you drive you will be asked to Park the car and go inside the building. Also one more detail I went by my own car. I went by Detroit-Windor Ambassador Bridge.

Canadian Side: The process was pretty smooth. At the check post explained I am here to do my Soft Landing and will be spending 7-10 days in Canada. The lady officer might have been new so I have to explain here giving COPR that the date mentioned in the COPR on the expiry date, I have to land before that to confirm my PR. She asked some questions about what I am bringing, on which Visa I am working in USA (the normal routine questions). She called I am guessing supervisor or the officers inside. She was very polite and with a very good smile she told me to park the car and gave a yellow slip and gave directions and told me to go inside the building. Inside just followed the sign and stood at a place and the officer called me. Handed over the papers to him and told me to take a seat. He did the processing on the system and called me to to ask my Goods to Follow form. I told him I will be moving permanently after some time say 7-8 months. But still I had my Goods to Follow form filed up so he just said we can process it right now and can finalize the next time you come permanently. I had my car also on the form so no issues there, he asked me for my Car Title provided him that and he just stamped and processed my form so that was pretty smooth as well. Then he signed my COPR and asked me to sign also as in COPR all must have seen there are signature columns. Then he asked me to sit again, did some processing and called again to ask for address where my PR Card will be mailed. I had the address printed so gave him the paper and was asked to sit again till he do all processing. Then in the end he just called me and gave me my Copy and said all good, Welcome to Canada. Maybe he processed the form after long time so he just said you taught me some new things today, I just joked about it and said "Anytime". He just laughed, I also asked a query that If I have to travel to Canada util my PR Card come how can I do that, he asked someone around even he was cooperative enough to call his old buddy who might have worked on Airport CBSA and said I need to apply PRTD to travel via Air but via land I can travel by COPR. So in the end I just said Thank you and just on a light note I said So Officer Thank you for making me a Permanent Resident of Canada, Have a nice night ahead as I went in the evening. On the way back to the car the lady officer from Check Post was waiting and asked me for the yellow slip which she gave and just chatted for 1 minute. There was some paper plates in my car so she was just curious about that I was just chatting with her and at the end she just gave a good smile and wished me good luck. It was around 30-35 mins process.

Spent 7 days in Canada, met my friends in different cities no issues I had driving my own car there.

USA Side: As well all know USA side is a by strict by their attitude. At the check post there was a bit line went around 3 pm, so waited in line say 15 mins, then at the Check Post I said Good Afternoon Officer and handed my documents, my Old Passport, my New Passport and my I-797 and said I want to use Automatic Visa Revalidation for my entry as I am working on H1B. He gave a "OK" nod. He was checking my documents and just to clarify I said that's my Old Passport pointing to Old Passport and also pointing to New Passport clarifying thats the new one. He said yeah Wait I haven't have even opened your documents. Just said "Oh ok , Sorry Sir". As I was expecting yellow slip and a secondary inspection as this was first time I am using AVR. He gave me my documents and a yellow slip and pointed me to go the secondary inspection side. My phone was attached to see maps and documents bag was inside car and rest all my stuff Clothes etc was in trunk. So at inspection side I took my docs and wallet and everything rest was in the car as officer directed me every electronic needs to be in the Car and leave the keys inside. I entered the building and took a seat. After 3-4 minutes an Officer called me. I said Good Afternoon Sir and passed the documents and said I would like to use AVR for my entry. He took my Passport and I-797 and asked me some questions.
Officer: So you got your Passport renewed
Me: Yes Sir my Passport was getting expired in starting next year so renewed couple of months back.
Officer: Looked at my Old Visa and said Ok so that one is expired with a question tone and here is the new I797. You did not get new Visa?
Me: I said yes as I have to go to Canada and confirm my Permanent Residence there and for new visa appointments are not getting easily that is why using Automatic Visa Revalidation for my entry. He then nodded.
Officer: Why you went to Canada?
Me: I went to Canada to confirm my Permanent Residence also showed him COPR but he was not interested and confused as he might not know what that is.
Officer: For how long you were there?
Me: I was there for 7 days.
Officer: Looked at my new Passport and looked at all pages I am guessing to see that I have not been anywhere else other than Canada. Also looked at the immigrant Visa given by Canada and the date stamped by them. He might have known about AVR but the new Passport he might have bean a bit new to that. He had a conversation with the Officer behind him I guess he knew much more about AVR. He then said me to take a seat.

Sat there for about 20 mins, then he called me again:

Officer: So you working as H1B, my I797 was in his hand.
Me: Yes
Officer: You are working where?
Me: I am working in (my company name) and told the city
Officer: Ok So you working with the same employer for which you the previous Visa
Me: Yes I have been working with the same company
Officer: Where you will be residing?
Me: I am maintaining my residence at (told my city), he wrote that on piece of paper.
Officer: Ok so you have been residing there from your previous Visa
Me: Yes Sir.
Officer: Took a pause again scanning my Passport. So your new Passport was issues inside USA
Me: I did not hear that properly and asked "My City???"
Officer: Repeated the question
Me: Oh Yes with nodding
Officer: Okay you can have a seat.

Sat there for about 20 mins again I saw he was roaming and went to 1-2 officers not sure just like that or with my papers. He called me again

Officer: Ok so let's process you I will need to take a photograph so remove your mask and glasses. Took my photograph and biometrics and was asked to wait again.

Again waited for there about 15-20 mins and was called.

Officer: Ok so here is your I-94. My I-94 which is on I-797 was attached to my Passport. Then he said Ok, you are good to go.
Me: I just replied Thank you Officer, have a good day ahead and left.

The conversation with Officer was normal he was pretty good, did not find him rude at all and I expected that much process as we all know it.
Went Back to my car asked officers there Am I good. They said Yes and showed the way. So the car will be fully checked with trunk and hood opened and everything. My suggestion keep minimal things like clothes, shoes just to keep it simple. I had only clothes, water bottles, shoes so was not bothered about that.
All in all my experience was pretty smooth just took time on USA side more but that much time I had expected so will say all good. All the very best to all. I hope this experience will help and answer questions if anyone have.
Hi @Akki9172 Did you get your PR card generated? Did the canadian border patrol allow you to apply or do they only apply when you move permanently?

BalloonDig

Mar 4, 2022
Hi Sid, I was hoping to follow this route. I will be traveling with a valid H1B to Toronto and back via air. Did you have any issues at Canadian immigration for only staying a week? Any chance I could pick your brain over a DM or phone call? Most people here are doing it via land borders, would really appreciate some insight on the air travel from the US.
Hey DixVille,
Were you able to travel by air and complete the landing process? Or any luck getting more information about this? I'm also planning to travel by air and was curious about the Canadian immigration.

matteosc

Apr 6, 2020
No, i believe that happens for land border crossing. Just the usual customs declaration by air route.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am wondering if one will be able to give the good to follow list at the first land crossing after becoming PR.
Do you have any idea of how this works?