+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1B travel to USA after completing soft-landing in Canada

gprawtap

Feb 3, 2021
Yes I gave every specific details and he said I was okay to travel. Rest 1% there is a chance of going wrong in everything so will just do the best I can because I have to land in Canada before Oct end and that I can't take any chances for.
Hi
Can both H1b and H4 re-enter the US after a short stay (less than 30 days) in Canada? Where can I find the latest entry requirements for the US?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
Hello All

So here is my experience for Soft Landing and coming back to USA using AVR. I also had my passport renewed so my expired Visa was on old Passport. Expect secondary inspection on both sides as I am sure everybody knows they don't just let you drive you will be asked to Park the car and go inside the building. Also one more detail I went by my own car. I went by Detroit-Windor Ambassador Bridge.

Canadian Side: The process was pretty smooth. At the check post explained I am here to do my Soft Landing and will be spending 7-10 days in Canada. The lady officer might have been new so I have to explain here giving COPR that the date mentioned in the COPR on the expiry date, I have to land before that to confirm my PR. She asked some questions about what I am bringing, on which Visa I am working in USA (the normal routine questions). She called I am guessing supervisor or the officers inside. She was very polite and with a very good smile she told me to park the car and gave a yellow slip and gave directions and told me to go inside the building. Inside just followed the sign and stood at a place and the officer called me. Handed over the papers to him and told me to take a seat. He did the processing on the system and called me to to ask my Goods to Follow form. I told him I will be moving permanently after some time say 7-8 months. But still I had my Goods to Follow form filed up so he just said we can process it right now and can finalize the next time you come permanently. I had my car also on the form so no issues there, he asked me for my Car Title provided him that and he just stamped and processed my form so that was pretty smooth as well. Then he signed my COPR and asked me to sign also as in COPR all must have seen there are signature columns. Then he asked me to sit again, did some processing and called again to ask for address where my PR Card will be mailed. I had the address printed so gave him the paper and was asked to sit again till he do all processing. Then in the end he just called me and gave me my Copy and said all good, Welcome to Canada. Maybe he processed the form after long time so he just said you taught me some new things today, I just joked about it and said "Anytime". He just laughed, I also asked a query that If I have to travel to Canada util my PR Card come how can I do that, he asked someone around even he was cooperative enough to call his old buddy who might have worked on Airport CBSA and said I need to apply PRTD to travel via Air but via land I can travel by COPR. So in the end I just said Thank you and just on a light note I said So Officer Thank you for making me a Permanent Resident of Canada, Have a nice night ahead as I went in the evening. On the way back to the car the lady officer from Check Post was waiting and asked me for the yellow slip which she gave and just chatted for 1 minute. There was some paper plates in my car so she was just curious about that I was just chatting with her and at the end she just gave a good smile and wished me good luck. It was around 30-35 mins process.

Spent 7 days in Canada, met my friends in different cities no issues I had driving my own car there.

USA Side: As well all know USA side is a by strict by their attitude. At the check post there was a bit line went around 3 pm, so waited in line say 15 mins, then at the Check Post I said Good Afternoon Officer and handed my documents, my Old Passport, my New Passport and my I-797 and said I want to use Automatic Visa Revalidation for my entry as I am working on H1B. He gave a "OK" nod. He was checking my documents and just to clarify I said that's my Old Passport pointing to Old Passport and also pointing to New Passport clarifying thats the new one. He said yeah Wait I haven't have even opened your documents. Just said "Oh ok , Sorry Sir". As I was expecting yellow slip and a secondary inspection as this was first time I am using AVR. He gave me my documents and a yellow slip and pointed me to go the secondary inspection side. My phone was attached to see maps and documents bag was inside car and rest all my stuff Clothes etc was in trunk. So at inspection side I took my docs and wallet and everything rest was in the car as officer directed me every electronic needs to be in the Car and leave the keys inside. I entered the building and took a seat. After 3-4 minutes an Officer called me. I said Good Afternoon Sir and passed the documents and said I would like to use AVR for my entry. He took my Passport and I-797 and asked me some questions.
Officer: So you got your Passport renewed
Me: Yes Sir my Passport was getting expired in starting next year so renewed couple of months back.
Officer: Looked at my Old Visa and said Ok so that one is expired with a question tone and here is the new I797. You did not get new Visa?
Me: I said yes as I have to go to Canada and confirm my Permanent Residence there and for new visa appointments are not getting easily that is why using Automatic Visa Revalidation for my entry. He then nodded.
Officer: Why you went to Canada?
Me: I went to Canada to confirm my Permanent Residence also showed him COPR but he was not interested and confused as he might not know what that is.
Officer: For how long you were there?
Me: I was there for 7 days.
Officer: Looked at my new Passport and looked at all pages I am guessing to see that I have not been anywhere else other than Canada. Also looked at the immigrant Visa given by Canada and the date stamped by them. He might have known about AVR but the new Passport he might have bean a bit new to that. He had a conversation with the Officer behind him I guess he knew much more about AVR. He then said me to take a seat.

Sat there for about 20 mins, then he called me again:

Officer: So you working as H1B, my I797 was in his hand.
Me: Yes
Officer: You are working where?
Me: I am working in (my company name) and told the city
Officer: Ok So you working with the same employer for which you the previous Visa
Me: Yes I have been working with the same company
Officer: Where you will be residing?
Me: I am maintaining my residence at (told my city), he wrote that on piece of paper.
Officer: Ok so you have been residing there from your previous Visa
Me: Yes Sir.
Officer: Took a pause again scanning my Passport. So your new Passport was issues inside USA
Me: I did not hear that properly and asked "My City???"
Officer: Repeated the question
Me: Oh Yes with nodding
Officer: Okay you can have a seat.

Sat there for about 20 mins again I saw he was roaming and went to 1-2 officers not sure just like that or with my papers. He called me again

Officer: Ok so let's process you I will need to take a photograph so remove your mask and glasses. Took my photograph and biometrics and was asked to wait again.

Again waited for there about 15-20 mins and was called.

Officer: Ok so here is your I-94. My I-94 which is on I-797 was attached to my Passport. Then he said Ok, you are good to go.
Me: I just replied Thank you Officer, have a good day ahead and left.

The conversation with Officer was normal he was pretty good, did not find him rude at all and I expected that much process as we all know it.
Went Back to my car asked officers there Am I good. They said Yes and showed the way. So the car will be fully checked with trunk and hood opened and everything. My suggestion keep minimal things like clothes, shoes just to keep it simple. I had only clothes, water bottles, shoes so was not bothered about that.
All in all my experience was pretty smooth just took time on USA side more but that much time I had expected so will say all good. All the very best to all. I hope this experience will help and answer questions if anyone have.

Last edited:

Vicky11

Sep 25, 2018
Hello All

So here is my experience for Soft Landing and coming back to USA using AVR. I also had my passport renewed so my expired Visa was on old Passport. Expect secondary inspection on both sides as I am sure everybody knows they don't just let you drive you will be asked to Park the car and go inside the building. Also one more detail I went by my own car. I went by Detroit-Windor Ambassador Bridge.

Canadian Side: The process was pretty smooth. At the check post explained I am here to do my Soft Landing and will be spending 7-10 days in Canada. The lady officer might have been new so I have to explain here giving COPR that the date mentioned in the COPR on the expiry date, I have to land before that to confirm my PR. She asked some questions about what I am bringing, on which Visa I am working in USA (the normal routine questions). She called I am guessing supervisor or the officers inside. She was very polite and with a very good smile she told me to park the car and gave a yellow slip and gave directions and told me to go inside the building. Inside just followed the sign and stood at a place and the officer called me. Handed over the papers to him and told me to take a seat. He did the processing on the system and called me to to ask my Goods to Follow form. I told him I will be moving permanently after some time say 7-8 months. But still I had my Goods to Follow form filed up so he just said we can process it right now and can finalize the next time you come permanently. I had my car also on the form so no issues there, he asked me for my Car Title provided him that and he just stamped and processed my form so that was pretty smooth as well. Then he signed my COPR and asked me to sign also as in COPR all must have seen there are signature columns. Then he asked me to sit again, did some processing and called again to ask for address where my PR Card will be mailed. I had the address printed so gave him the paper and was asked to sit again till he do all processing. Then in the end he just called me and gave me my Copy and said all good, Welcome to Canada. Maybe he processed the form after long time so he just said you taught me some new things today, I just joked about it and said "Anytime". He just laughed, I also asked a query that If I have to travel to Canada util my PR Card come how can I do that, he asked someone around even he was cooperative enough to call his old buddy who might have worked on Airport CBSA and said I need to apply PRTD to travel via Air but via land I can travel by COPR. So in the end I just said Thank you and just on a light note I said So Officer Thank you for making me a Permanent Resident of Canada, Have a nice night ahead as I went in the evening. On the way back to the car the lady officer from Check Post was waiting and asked me for the yellow slip which she gave and just chatted for 1 minute. There was some paper plates in my car so she was just curious about that I was just chatting with her and at the end she just gave a good smile and wished me good luck. It was around 30-35 mins process.

Spent 7 days in Canada, met my friends in different cities no issues I had driving my own car there.

USA Side: As well all know USA side is a by strict by their attitude. At the check post there was a bit line went around 3 pm, so waited in line say 15 mins, then at the Check Post I said Good Afternoon Officer and handed my documents, my Old Passport, my New Passport and my I-797 and said I want to use Automatic Visa Revalidation for my entry as I am working on H1B. He gave a "OK" nod. He was checking my documents and just to clarify I said that's my Old Passport pointing to Old Passport and also pointing to New Passport clarifying thats the new one. He said yeah Wait I haven't have even opened your documents. Just said "Oh ok , Sorry Sir". As I was expecting yellow slip and a secondary inspection as this was first time I am using AVR. He gave me my documents and a yellow slip and pointed me to go the secondary inspection side. My phone was attached to see maps and documents bag was inside car and rest all my stuff Clothes etc was in trunk. So at inspection side I took my docs and wallet and everything rest was in the car as officer directed me every electronic needs to be in the Car and leave the keys inside. I entered the building and took a seat. After 3-4 minutes an Officer called me. I said Good Afternoon Sir and passed the documents and said I would like to use AVR for my entry. He took my Passport and I-797 and asked me some questions.
Me: Yes Sir my Passport was getting expired in starting next year so renewed couple of months back.
Officer: Looked at my Old Visa and said Ok so that one is expired with a question tone and here is the new I797. You did not get new Visa?
Me: I said yes as I have to go to Canada and confirm my Permanent Residence there and for new visa appointments are not getting easily that is why using Automatic Visa Revalidation for my entry. He then nodded.
Me: I went to Canada to confirm my Permanent Residence also showed him COPR but he was not interested and confused as he might not know what that is.
Officer: Looked at my new Passport and looked at all pages I am guessing to see that I have not been anywhere else other than Canada. Also looked at the immigrant Visa given by Canada and the date stamped by them. He might have known about AVR but the new Passport he might have bean a bit new to that. He had a conversation with the Officer behind him I guess he knew much more about AVR. He then said me to take a seat.

Officer: Ok So you working with the same employer for which you the previous Visa
Me: I am maintaining my residence at (told my city), he wrote that on piece of paper.
Officer: Took a pause again scanning my Passport. So your new Passport was issues inside USA

Sat there for about 20 mins again I saw he was roaming and went to 1-2 officers not sure just like that or with my papers. He called me again

Officer: Ok so let's process you I will need to take a photograph so remove your mask and glasses. Took my photograph and biometrics and was asked to wait again.

Officer: Ok so here is your I-94. My I-94 which is on I-797 was attached to my Passport. Then he said Ok, you are good to go.

The conversation with Officer was normal he was pretty good, did not find him rude at all and I expected that much process as we all know it.
Went Back to my car asked officers there Am I good. They said Yes and showed the way. So the car will be fully checked with trunk and hood opened and everything. My suggestion keep minimal things like clothes, shoes just to keep it simple. I had only clothes, water bottles, shoes so was not bothered about that.
All in all my experience was pretty smooth just took time on USA side more but that much time I had expected so will say all good. All the very best to all. I hope this experience will help and answer questions if anyone have.
This is really helpful to know what to expect! I am wondering whether AVR can be used for daily commute between US and Canada. As visa appointments are not easily available, I might have to use AVR for daily commuting purpose. My scenario is similar to other i.e. Family moving to Canada and Job in US. Please share your your valuable experiences, thanks in advance!

Vicky11

Sep 25, 2018
@harirajmohan and other VIP, star, expert members - I need your guidance to make sure I move to Canada in time to be able to save my PR in Canada and job in the US (Buffalo NY). Please respond to this post. Thanks in advance!

Here is my situation - My family has been planning to move to Canada (we have Canadian PR) for sometime now. Unfortunately, we have been postponing this move because of COVID and H1b visa for sometime now. Currently, I got a H1b approval but have been waiting for Toronto consulate to open up for visa renewable stamping. Latest appointment that got available is in Sept 2022, which is way beyond my expectation as I am thinking of moving to Canada in a month or 2. So, getting a H1b visa stamping appointment in Canada is not really going to help my situation. I have been thinking of doing a regular commute between Toronto region to Buffalo, NY.

I am hoping to get some suggestions to find solution to this situation, Please suggest what would be a feasible solution.

A. I have been learning about AVR and have some questions listed below -

1. I am not sure whether AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation) is the answer to my situation ? As I haven't applied for AVR before I am not sure whether AVR be approved for regular commute ?

2. I have no idea how easy or hard is to get AVR approval ? What are chances of AVR being denied ? Which AVR has more success (AVR applied by land or Air ) ? I believe if AVR is gets denied then only option is to apply for Non Immigrant visa in home country, please confirm.

3. I am not sure whether AVR would be approved for regular commute between Canada (Greater Toronto Area) and US (Buffalo, NY)

4. Can Nexus card be applied based on AVR ?

B. If AVR is not solution to this situation, what other solution can be worked out - Would travel to Mexico City to get a H1b visa stamping be a better option ? Can anyone share their stamping experience in Mexico city ? How long it took , period of stay and all other information

Appreciate all your inputs!

Akki9172

Star Member
Jun 25, 2019
@harirajmohan and other VIP, star, expert members - I need your guidance to make sure I move to Canada in time to be able to save my PR in Canada and job in the US (Buffalo NY). Please respond to this post. Thanks in advance!

Here is my situation - My family has been planning to move to Canada (we have Canadian PR) for sometime now. Unfortunately, we have been postponing this move because of COVID and H1b visa for sometime now. Currently, I got a H1b approval but have been waiting for Toronto consulate to open up for visa renewable stamping. Latest appointment that got available is in Sept 2022, which is way beyond my expectation as I am thinking of moving to Canada in a month or 2. So, getting a H1b visa stamping appointment in Canada is not really going to help my situation. I have been thinking of doing a regular commute between Toronto region to Buffalo, NY.

I am hoping to get some suggestions to find solution to this situation, Please suggest what would be a feasible solution.

A. I have been learning about AVR and have some questions listed below -

1. I am not sure whether AVR (Automatic Visa Revalidation) is the answer to my situation ? As I haven't applied for AVR before I am not sure whether AVR be approved for regular commute ?

2. I have no idea how easy or hard is to get AVR approval ? What are chances of AVR being denied ? Which AVR has more success (AVR applied by land or Air ) ? I believe if AVR is gets denied then only option is to apply for Non Immigrant visa in home country, please confirm.

3. I am not sure whether AVR would be approved for regular commute between Canada (Greater Toronto Area) and US (Buffalo, NY)

4. Can Nexus card be applied based on AVR ?

B. If AVR is not solution to this situation, what other solution can be worked out - Would travel to Mexico City to get a H1b visa stamping be a better option ? Can anyone share their stamping experience in Mexico city ? How long it took , period of stay and all other information

Appreciate all your inputs!
AVR is not something you apply somewhere so its just a provision provided by USA. By Air or Land wherever you go you are eligible if you have proper documentation. People do use it for regular commute all the time so you should be good. For denial I don't think you will be but as you lot of things are dependent on border officers.

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
Hello All

sachin80

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
I have Canada PR card and planning to move to Canada in next month. I will be getting H4 visa stamped in Canada. My spouse will stay in US on H1B. So my aim is to do weekly travel between US and Canada. So wanted to understand if that is possible or if there are any quarantine rules. Also what are the requirements around Covid testing needs at US end and Canada end. Can we travel between Canada and US thru car or only flight are allowed these days ?

Anwar6067

Sep 14, 2021
Hi all, I have a question, My HIB application is in progress and let's assume my H1B got approved, but still I did not get approval notice(as it might take 1-3 weeks). At this time, without approval notice, can I travel to Canada and return back on the same day or following day using the AVR option?

Currently I am waiting for my employer to respond to RFE and hoping i will get approval in 15 days. My current visa stats is F1-CPT. Please let me know on this. Thanks! Planning to do soft landing on oct 16th

Akshay14

Sep 1, 2021
Hi all -- here's my experience. Hope this helps.. I took the train to Buffalo and then Uber to Fort Erie -- very seamless and easy process at the border.. Returned by flight (I'm on H1b) after 2 weeks. Again very smooth at the airport. Hope this helps.
Hi, You used Uber to cross the border? I am looking to use the same option, Can you help with details like how much time did it take for immigration and do Uber drivers cross over borders and wait through immigration process ?

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Thanks for confirming.
Do you or anyone know if one needs to export and import their own car in case the plan is to drive to Canada on a valid CoPR and drive back to the US within 30 days?
Yes, they would allow you with out importing it but with a sweet warning that "you shouldn't bring your car inside without importing". But you can tell them that you are not planning to move currently but in future when you are ready to move you would import it. Many people have done this so it shouldn't be a problem.

dehemnani

Jun 9, 2020
Hello All

Hey Akki!
While returning back using the land border, did you have to show a negative Covid test result ? Also did they ask if you were fully vaccinated ?