+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H1b dropbox waived, asked to directly submit docs with H4 visa interview

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Scenario: H1&Spouse are Canada PR holders, staying in Canada. H1 is eligible for dropbox. First time stamping required for H4. Booked as a group. H4 got visa interview schedule. H1 got message "You are not required to appear for a Consulate interview. Please gather the documents listed below and send them into the consulate with one of the Applicants in your group that must attend a Consulate interview."

That means H4 need to carry all the documents of H1 (passport,i797a, ds160 etc etc) with her during her interview and submit all the documents of H1 to the visa officer. (Instead of dropping h1 docs in dropbox center, directly handover to the visa officer).

Anybody experienced this?

Rawhide

Nov 11, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
20-02-2018
Med's Done....
16-02-2018
Interesting, is it possible to submit H1 documents first - wait for the passport to be returned and keep H4 in-person dates after your H1 receives documents back from consulate?

Ankit.twr1

Jul 31, 2019
Question about H1B/H4 dropbox in Canada ( Have Canadian PR status / Last stamping in INDIA)

Hi ,
Hope you are doing well, I am planning to get H1B / H4 stamping in Canada, Me and my spouse are both Canadian PR, the appointment scheduling system shows we are eligible for dropbox but we both have our last stamping done in INDIA so just need your help for couple of question.

Selected below options as true in the system:-
  • ANKIT TIWARI legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residents

• The previous visa that ANKIT TIWARI is renewing was issued after 15 January, 2003.

• ANKIT TIWARI is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed. ( ***NEED HELP TO UNDERSTAND THIS POINT**)

• ANKIT TIWARI is applying for the same visa type as the previous visa.

Regards,
Ankit

Ankit.twr1

Jul 31, 2019
Could you please help me understand the below point

ANKIT TIWARI is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed. ( ***NEED HELP TO UNDERSTAND THIS POINT**)

Thanks

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Question about H1B/H4 dropbox in Canada ( Have Canadian PR status / Last stamping in INDIA)

Hi ,
Hope you are doing well, I am planning to get H1B / H4 stamping in Canada, Me and my spouse are both Canadian PR, the appointment scheduling system shows we are eligible for dropbox but we both have our last stamping done in INDIA so just need your help for couple of question.

Selected below options as true in the system:-
  • ANKIT TIWARI legally resides in Canada. Applicants with Canadian student permits, Canadian work permits, or Canadian permanent residency shall be considered as residing in Canada. Applicants with Canadian visitor permits shall not be considered residents

• The previous visa that ANKIT TIWARI is renewing was issued after 15 January, 2003.

• ANKIT TIWARI is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed. ( ***NEED HELP TO UNDERSTAND THIS POINT**)

• ANKIT TIWARI is applying for the same visa type as the previous visa.

Regards,
Ankit
Check that point ....its not the "visa"... its passport. Seems like this "Your passport with the previous visa is still in your possession"

Reactions: Ankit.twr1

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Scenario: H1&Spouse are Canada PR holders, staying in Canada. H1 is eligible for dropbox. First time stamping required for H4. Booked as a group. H4 got visa interview schedule. H1 got message "You are not required to appear for a Consulate interview. Please gather the documents listed below and send them into the consulate with one of the Applicants in your group that must attend a Consulate interview."

That means H4 need to carry all the documents of H1 (passport,i797a, ds160 etc etc) with her during her interview and submit all the documents of H1 to the visa officer. (Instead of dropping h1 docs in dropbox center, directly handover to the visa officer).

Anybody experienced this?
You cannot use a H4 for spouse if you are residing in Canada. Spouse should have a B1/B2 while entering back to US. If H1 is living in US, then spouse is eligible to have H4.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Could you please help me understand the below point

ANKIT TIWARI is in possession of the previous visa that is being renewed. ( ***NEED HELP TO UNDERSTAND THIS POINT**)

Thanks
That means, if you are using the same Visa category to go for stamping or if there is a change in Visa type.

For eg: If you are on H1 before in US and going to have the stamping for same now as well, then you say 'Yes"
If you are changing from F1 to H1 then this option will be "No"

Reactions: Ankit.twr1

coolusa

Star Member
Sep 12, 2018
Check that point ....its not the "visa"... its passport. Seems like this "Your passport with the previous visa is still in your possession"
I think i am wrong...See the dropbox checklist for INDIA "My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost/stolen or cancelled."
So I am thinking "was not lost/stolen or cancelled" wording meant like "are you in possession"

Ankit.twr1

Jul 31, 2019
I think i am wrong...See the dropbox checklist for INDIA "My most recent visa (in the same class for which I am applying) was not lost/stolen or cancelled."
So I am thinking "was not lost/stolen or cancelled" wording meant like "are you in possession"
Yes I spoke to consulates customer care, the point means the previous visa is not lost or stolen, thanks for the response.

Nil007

Mar 5, 2022
You cannot use a H4 for spouse if you are residing in Canada. Spouse should have a B1/B2 while entering back to US. If H1 is living in US, then spouse is eligible to have H4.
Hi @swan0206 Are you sure? Like me & my wife both are PR holder, both are in Canada. I was having previous H1B, expired now, so applying for extension while in Canada, then would have dropbox (I believe). Planning for my wife's H4 extension and/or stamping too from Canada (her previous H4 is expired) and applying new H4 for my son (Canadian citizen) as well. Are you saying both of them are not eligible for H4 visa & from Canada they have to enter US with B1/B2?

If above is right, then will they be eligible to get H4 (visa/stamping) from India? Wife's last dropbox was from India & Son will have new H4.
Thank you!!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi @swan0206 Are you sure? Like me & my wife both are PR holder, both are in Canada. I was having previous H1B, expired now, so applying for extension while in Canada, then would have dropbox (I believe). Planning for my wife's H4 extension and/or stamping too from Canada (her previous H4 is expired) and applying new H4 for my son (Canadian citizen) as well. Are you saying both of them are not eligible for H4 visa & from Canada they have to enter US with B1/B2?

If above is right, then will they be eligible to get H4 (visa/stamping) from India? Wife's last dropbox was from India & Son will have new H4.
Thank you!!
Hi,
H4's can still enter US accompanied by H1. But if H1 isn't residing in US anymore then there would be a problem after few entries, they would be questioned. If you are not using H4's for entry i am not sure if that really has any implications by just renewing and keeping them. If you are completely moving off from to US again then H4's can be renewed.

It depends whats your purpose of getting H4's renewed while residing in Canada. If its travel purpose better to get B1/B2 for spouse and your kid is good.

Nil007

Mar 5, 2022
Hi,
H4's can still enter US accompanied by H1. But if H1 isn't residing in US anymore then there would be a problem after few entries, they would be questioned. If you are not using H4's for entry i am not sure if that really has any implications by just renewing and keeping them. If you are completely moving off from to US again then H4's can be renewed.

It depends whats your purpose of getting H4's renewed while residing in Canada. If its travel purpose better to get B1/B2 for spouse and your kid is good.
Hi - I am going to move to USA for good with family now, so I believe me & my wife both can get H1B (mine one is H1B transfer from one to another company while is Canada, then move to USA after stamping with the new company) & H4 extension from Canada, then move to USA. Right? Because her H4 is to move to USA & stay with me there.

And when you are saying that 'our kid is good', I am sorry but what you you mean exactly? Does he not need any visa to move to USA as he is a Canadian citizen? But I think he needs too as he will be in living USA for more than 6 months, as per this website (https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/do-canadians-need-a-visa-to-visit-the-usa/). Do you happen to know the scenario? Will contact consulate soon to confirm.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi - I am going to move to USA for good with family now, so I believe me & my wife both can get H1B (mine one is H1B transfer from one to another company while is Canada, then move to USA after stamping with the new company) & H4 extension from Canada, then move to USA. Right? Because her H4 is to move to USA & stay with me there.

And when you are saying that 'our kid is good', I am sorry but what you you mean exactly? Does he not need any visa to move to USA as he is a Canadian citizen? But I think he needs too as he will be in living USA for more than 6 months, as per this website (https://www.legalline.ca/legal-answers/do-canadians-need-a-visa-to-visit-the-usa/). Do you happen to know the scenario? Will contact consulate soon to confirm.
Ok, if you are moving for good. Yes ,your kid also needs to get a H4. And your wife also can go for H4. No confusions. Its clear now. Please keep us posted about your experiences once you move back to US. Bdw have you applied your citizenship and moving back if i may know!

Nil007

Mar 5, 2022
Ok, if you are moving for good. Yes ,your kid also needs to get a H4. And your wife also can go for H4. No confusions. Its clear now. Please keep us posted about your experiences once you move back to US. Bdw have you applied your citizenship and moving back if i may know!
No, I didn't apply for Canadian citizenship & will not apply.