+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Humanitarian Ground with/or Without Failed refugee claim

tony4454

Nov 20, 2020
Thats great so that means we will receive the AOR right away after submitting?
Also, that means we wont be able to check status on ECAS? @Ayanna your thoughts?

R Brar

Star Member
May 28, 2015

GrecchiJu

Apr 29, 2021
Yes, this is an option and I submitted on line in June 2021. AOR wd request for Biometrics in 10 days. Biometric completed same month. a bit fast processing.
I applied in May 2021 and it was already possible to send it online. But my lawyer went papers anyways.

Reactions: R Brar

bella12

Jul 10, 2019
I applied in May 2021 and it was already possible to send it online. But my lawyer went papers anyways.
I think your lawyer took the best decision to have to use the paper route. Studies have shown ( when contrasting between approval rate and refusal for both paper and online), The paper route is best for applications with complicated cases. It doesn't matter if it is h&c or TRV/ study permit application or extension of study permit etc for as long as you have a complicated/complex case.

Back in my country, a lot of people notice that if you apply for a Canadian study visa or any kind of visa and If your case is complicated and you do a paper submission; you have higher success than online submission. On the other hand, online submission is best for applicants whose circumstance & submission is PERECFTLY in line with the immigration requirement..

The reason for this( that I have noticed) is that there are applications that are submitted that are NOT perfectly in line with the immigration requirement. These complex cases & submissions are best handled/ examined by physical/ hard copy by an immigration officer. Also, it gives an applicant "liberty" to provide "important evidence" that is NOT feasible to be submitted via an online platform. The online route often has limitations. such as; "limit" on the number, size, or "file format" you can submit. Sometimes, they ask you for a specific" file format" for the submission of your document(s). For example, you have a document in .png format but the online platform asks for a .jpeg format. Bear in mind that some file formats cannot be converted to other files formats. It can sometimes be complicated to convert files. Another problem with online submission is that files get corrupted in some cases when it is open by an immigration officer. he or she will "might end up losing interest in working on your application. you risk being at the mercy of that officer.

For example, A job applicant submits his/her resume online. A human resources(HR) person opens it on their computer only to find out that the file/ document did not open because it is corrupt. What do you think HR will do? they will move on to another applicant's resume. they will not waste time trying to find out why your file got corrupted or fixing it. This means the applicant will not be able to get an interview for the job. The same thing "sometimes" happens with immigration online platforms. Lastly, not everybody is tech-savvy to use the online platform for their application.

Problems like this limit an applicant to conveniently submit document(s) that they think will strengthen the success rate of an application.

You will all agree with me that H&C generally is a complicated application with too much documentation. It is not like other simple applications like an "extension of visa" etc. That is straightforward. H & C decision-making is oftentimes at the discretion of immigration. It has NO well define immigration requirement in terms of what you will need to submit. This means you need to provide enough evidence( base on your circumstance) to strengthen the success rate of your application. Some of this evidence " "might" not be feasible to submit online. thus, limiting your liberty to submit evidence you think will be important for the application.

For the above reasons, I believe paper submission is best for h&c applications while applications that are simple, less complex, less documentation, have well-defined immigration requirements, etc, online submission is good for this!.

Last edited:

R Brar

Star Member
May 28, 2015
I think your lawyer took the best decision to have to use the paper route. Studies have shown ( when contrasting between approval rate and refusal for both paper and online), The paper route is best for applications with complicated cases. It doesn't matter if it is h&c or TRV/ study permit application or extension of study permit etc for as long as you have a complicated/complex case.

Back in my country, a lot of people notice that if you apply for a Canadian study visa or any kind of visa and If your case is complicated and you do a paper submission; you have higher success than online submission. On the other hand, online submission is best for applicants whose circumstance & submission is PERECFTLY in line with the immigration requirement..

The reason for this( that I have noticed) is that there are applications that are submitted that are NOT perfectly in line with the immigration requirement. These complex cases & submissions are best handled/ examined by physical/ hard copy by an immigration officer. Also, it gives an applicant "liberty" to provide "important evidence" that is NOT feasible to be submitted via an online platform. The online route often has limitations. such as; "limit" on the number, size, or "file format" you can submit. Sometimes, they ask you for a specific" file format" for the submission of your document(s). For example, you have a document in .png format but the online platform asks for a .jpeg format. Bear in mind that some file formats cannot be converted to other files formats. It can sometimes be complicated to convert files. Another problem with online submission is that files get corrupted in some cases when it is open by an immigration officer. he or she will "might end up losing interest in working on your application. you risk being at the mercy of that officer.

For example, A job applicant submits his/her resume online. A human resources(HR) person opens it on their computer only to find out that the file/ document did not open because it is corrupt. What do you think HR will do? they will move on to another applicant's resume. they will not waste time trying to find out why your file got corrupted or fixing it. This means the applicant will not be able to get an interview for the job. The same thing "sometimes" happens with immigration online platforms. Lastly, not everybody is tech-savvy to use the online platform for their application.

Problems like this limit an applicant to conveniently submit document(s) that they think will strengthen the success rate of an application.

You will all agree with me that H&C generally is a complicated application with too much documentation. It is not like other simple applications like an "extension of visa" etc. That is straightforward. H & C decision-making is oftentimes at the discretion of immigration. It has NO well define immigration requirement in terms of what you will need to submit. This means you need to provide enough evidence( base on your circumstance) to strengthen the success rate of your application. Some of this evidence " "might" not be feasible to submit online. thus, limiting your liberty to submit evidence you think will be important for the application.

For the above reasons, I believe paper submission is best for h&c applications while applications that are simple, less complex, less documentation, have well-defined immigration requirements, etc, online submission is good for this!.
If IRCC has introduced online, they must have taken every thing into consideration. Keeping in view the volume of work, online helps in fast processing which is the objective of IRCC.

tony4454

Nov 20, 2020

That’s exactly i had in my mind its better to have paper application

bella12

Jul 10, 2019
If IRCC has introduced online, they must have taken every thing into consideration. Keeping in view the volume of work, online helps in fast processing which is the objective of IRCC.
You are 100% right that IRCC would have put everything into consideration. As a software developer, I can tell you without fear of contradiction that when an IT system is NELWY launched, the FIRST version is NOT always perfect. So many things can go wrong. This is why over time, software developers( or IT experts) release NEWER/ IMPROVED versions of the IT system to add more features, improve or resolve any bug noticed in a NEW system.

When developing a new IT system, there is a stage in IT development called the "Testing phase". No matter how good a system is tested, there are bugs that will not be noticeable at the testing phase until when users( or applicants) begin to use it. Over time, the bug becomes noticeable. This can impact how an immigration officer works on an h&c application using an online platform. This applies to any IT product. There is always a new/improved version released over time to add more features or resolve bugs in a new system.

In summary, the point I am trying to make here is that the online platform for h&c is still "new". Anything can go wrong that can reduce your liberty to submit ALL supporting documents. Bear in mind that h&c applications involve a lot of documentation for submission. We have no idea how robust the system is designed or works considering is the FIRST version. Again, we have no idea how robust the backend of the system works. It is a "guess" for now since it is new.

Secondly, You need to put into consideration that NOT all immigration officers " MIGHT" be familiar with the use of features of the online platform since it is a NEW system. It takes time to know how to use a new IT system. An applicant stands the of being at the mercy of an immigration officer praying all goes well even if your application or case has an excellent "merit ".

For that reason, it is too much of a risk to use the online platform now.
I will for the opinion of other applicants to know if it works well for them. I believe most lawyers or applicants will still need to learn how to use the online platform. for the first time. Remember, any mistake can lead to refusal! I understand you want your application to be processed faster. But it is well-known knowledge that faster does NOT 100% mean an application will be approved. The same rule applies to paper format. However, the paper format has been used for years. The risk involved in using paper is LESS of than the online platform. So many things can go wrong considering that the online system is new. Over time, IRCC will have to improve the online platform for any noticeable bugs.

Last edited:
Reactions: F1993

GrecchiJu

Apr 29, 2021

I think you are absolutely right. At the time I didn’t think too much about it but reading your comment I realized that I missed so many points when we analyzed my options! Now I am happy that we sent a paper application.

Reactions: bella12

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You are 100% right that IRCC would have put everything into consideration. As a software developer, I can tell you without fear of contradiction that when an IT system is NELWY launched, the FIRST version is NOT always perfect. So many things can go wrong. This is why over time, software developers( or IT experts) release NEWER/ IMPROVED versions of the IT system to add more features, improve or resolve any bug noticed in a NEW system.

When developing a new IT system, there is a stage in IT development called the "Testing phase". No matter how good a system is tested, there are bugs that will not be noticeable at the testing phase until when users( or applicants) begin to use it. Over time, the bug becomes noticeable. This can impact how an immigration officer works on an h&c application using an online platform. This applies to any IT product. There is always a new/improved version released over time to add more features or resolve bugs in a new system.

In summary, the point I am trying to make here is that the online platform for h&c is still "new". Anything can go wrong that can reduce your liberty to submit ALL supporting documents. Bear in mind that h&c applications involve a lot of documentation for submission. We have no idea how robust the system is designed or works considering is the FIRST version. Again, we have no idea how robust the backend of the system works. It is a "guess" for now since it is new.

Secondly, You need to put into consideration that NOT all immigration officers " MIGHT" be familiar with the use of features of the online platform since it is a NEW system. It takes time to know how to use a new IT system. An applicant stands the of being at the mercy of an immigration officer praying all goes well even if your application or case has an excellent "merit ".

For that reason, it is too much of a risk to use the online platform now.
I will for the opinion of other applicants to know if it works well for them. I believe most lawyers or applicants will still need to learn how to use the online platform. for the first time. Remember, any mistake can lead to refusal! I understand you want your application to be processed faster. But it is well-known knowledge that faster does NOT 100% mean an application will be approved. The same rule applies to paper format. However, the paper format has been used for years. The risk involved in using paper is LESS of than the online platform. So many things can go wrong considering that the online system is new. Over time, IRCC will have to improve the online platform for any noticeable bugs.
Thry essentially scan most of the applications so most applications end up being put online.

Reactions: Katayoon