+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

H&C Humanitarian Ground with/or Without Failed refugee claim

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
I wonder how these H&Cs work, there are people whose applications are processed in 6-8 months, and they get AIP but some are waiting 14 months. Is there a logic behind it? Of course, I am happy for those who get their AIP soon I am just curious how does the processing times work...
Hi, the same people making H&C decisions also decide PRRA applications and they have established priorities.

So, PRRA is the primary priority because the CBSA and IRCC are both governmental bodies and IRCC prioritizes PRRAs in order to not cause delays in the CBSA's case work. Ergo, an H&C that doesn't have an accompanying PRRA isn't a priority.

Inside of this overarching priority are the general priorities of criminal and security cases.

They assign cases in "blocks," and by that I mean a half a dozen cases from the same nation for one decision-maker, so that their research for one case can overlap with the other work they'll engage in with the next decision. There are lots of commonalities so it is practical to do it this way.

So, someone with only a PRRA, or a PRRA and an H&C will be decided well before someone with only an H&C and no removal order.

Statistics guide future funding and productivity is always centre stage for PRRA and H&C decision-making.

That's how it worked when I was actively interested in the whole thing and I doubt that much has changed.

Last edited:

Neel_Mistry

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
Mine is almost same timeline as yours. Submitted August 2021, AOR October 2021, in process December 2021. Praying for the best and receiving AIP.
Did you request for GCMS notes yet? If yes, do you see progress? Would you mind sharing grounds for your application. Thanks..

Love101

Feb 8, 2022
I believe H&C applications are sorted & prioritized on a case by case basis. Depending heavily on the basis of claim, vulnerability of applicants or dependents, establishmnent, risk and maybe Removal Order. It is obvious that some files are given priority than the others. "I believe"

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
I believe H&C applications are sorted & prioritized on a case by case basis. Depending heavily on the basis of claim, vulnerability of applicants or dependents, establishmnent, risk and maybe Removal Order. It is obvious that some files are given priority than the others. "I believe"
Hi, I don't mean to quibble, but if it happened on a case by case basis then you'd have to review every case, every day in order to distribute the work.

PRRAs represent someone who is "removal ready" according to the CBSA. IRCC is responsible for keeping CBSA Removals Officers with decisions. Passports expire and if IRCC fails to feed the CBSA with timely decisions then they'll halt another wing of the Federal Public Service. This will produce some ugly arguments among senior government officials - that's bad.

It's difficult to quantify vulnerabilities, assess establishment or risk for the low level staff who open and record the base information - PRRA, H&C. They look to simply see if the person was eligible to submit the application and don't have the expertise or pay grade to identify and decide priorities.

Put yourself in this place: you have 15,000 H&C cases, 6,500 PRRAs, 60 decision-makers across Canada, 30 clerks and whatever management you need. Now, produce as many decisions as you possibly can while not freezing out CBSA removals officers, or sattelite offices and leave them nothing to do but initiate new PRRAs or shop on-line.

You have to produce PRRA and H&C decisions, distribute cases to satellite offices in Toronto and Montreal and if you tie a knot in the movement of any of these needs you'll be hauled up on the carpet because you're causing other paid government employees to be idle. Oh, you'll have to use the same lower resources to respond to endless ATIP requests.

So, if you take the time to review every case in detail as it arrives (and not make a decision immediately afterward) then you're wasting time and energy and producing fewer decisions.

The processing model has to be the most efficient means for turning out the greatest volume of defensible decisions. If they cannot do it then they get transferred and they find someone who can do it. and the way you do it is to prioritize PRRAs (with or without an H&C), move the work in bundles according to the citizenship of the applicants - 5 from country A, 5 from country B, and so on.

If you can find a way to do it faster and still keep the integrity of the programs' varied laws, regulations and policies then you'll be an all-star Federal Public Servant. Fail.., maybe Citizenship or Settlement will take you.

Love101

Feb 8, 2022
Hi, I don't mean to quibble, but if it happened on a case by case basis then you'd have to review every case, every day in order to distribute the work.

PRRAs represent someone who is "removal ready" according to the CBSA. IRCC is responsible for keeping CBSA Removals Officers with decisions. Passports expire and if IRCC fails to feed the CBSA with timely decisions then they'll halt another wing of the Federal Public Service. This will produce some ugly arguments among senior government officials - that's bad.

It's difficult to quantify vulnerabilities, assess establishment or risk for the low level staff who open and record the base information - PRRA, H&C. They look to simply see if the person was eligible to submit the application and don't have the expertise or pay grade to identify and decide priorities.

Put yourself in this place: you have 15,000 H&C cases, 6,500 PRRAs, 60 decision-makers across Canada, 30 clerks and whatever management you need. Now, produce as many decisions as you possibly can while not freezing out CBSA removals officers, or sattelite offices and leave them nothing to do but initiate new PRRAs or shop on-line.

You have to produce PRRA and H&C decisions, distribute cases to satellite offices in Toronto and Montreal and if you tie a knot in the movement of any of these needs you'll be hauled up on the carpet because you're causing other paid government employees to be idle. Oh, you'll have to use the same lower resources to respond to endless ATIP requests.

So, if you take the time to review every case in detail as it arrives (and not make a decision immediately afterward) then you're wasting time and energy and producing fewer decisions.

The processing model has to be the most efficient means for turning out the greatest volume of defensible decisions. If they cannot do it then they get transferred and they find someone who can do it. and the way you do it is to prioritize PRRAs (with or without an H&C), move the work in bundles according to the citizenship of the applicants - 5 from country A, 5 from country B, and so on.

If you can find a way to do it faster and still keep the integrity of the programs' varied laws, regulations and policies then you'll be an all-star Federal Public Servant. Fail.., maybe Citizenship or Settlement will take you.
I understand your point.
But you also need to understand that everyfile is reviewed upon receipt to confirm if complete or not. It is after review that an AOR issued or the file is returned to the applicant. At that point, the file is already sorted and labeled based on some factors using internal procedures and policies.

Remember that Ukrainian applicants has received expedited treatment since the beginning of the war. That is the vulnerability factor I'm referring to. These are probably done at the receipt of the application not after.

Again I dont work with IRCC but just thinking out loud here. Why some files are treated faster than some and why some go over 2yrs without any treatment.

Reactions: Swagzzy

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
I understand your point.
But you also need to understand that everyfile is reviewed upon receipt to confirm if complete or not. It is after review that an AOR issued or the file is returned to the applicant. At that point, the file is already sorted and labeled based on some factors using internal procedures and policies.

Remember that Ukrainian applicants has received expedited treatment since the beginning of the war. That is the vulnerability factor I'm referring to. These are probably done at the receipt of the application not after.

Again I dont work with IRCC but just thinking out loud here. Why some files are treated faster than some and why some go over 2yrs without any treatment.
Hi - I know that you don't work for IRCC.

As a matter of some interest, and prior to the creation of the current processing model (2010), if a person applied for H&C in Calgary then they would receive a letter stating that it wouldn't be opened for 8 years.

I have a dated history with this stuff, but people can take it or leave it.

I do wish the very best of luck to all (excluding the criminal/security threat classes).

Sandeepgill83

Star Member
Apr 10, 2022
Mine is almost same timeline as yours. Submitted August 2021, AOR October 2021, in process December 2021. Praying for the best and receiving AIP.
As soon as you receive aip , don’t worry they will give you decisions in your favor, or you can apply gcms note or call helpline after helpline your urgent msg send thrue system your immigration officer like decision maker , because your timeline completely more than 1 year, best of luck

MariOTh

Sep 5, 2022
Hi, I received a removal order interview letter yesterday. The letter says I am to present myself at the office on November 7, 2022.

A little background information on me is I applied for refugee status when I first arrived in Canada back in Sept 2021. I, later on, married my wife who is Canadian in March of 2022 and had a Spousal Sponsorship application submitted by July of 2022 (My spousal application is still in the process, and I just received my work permit in the mail). In August of 2022, I received my first interview for the refugee claim and was found ineligible.

I am now in a position where I am not sure what to do. On one hand, I just got my work permit through my spousal sponsorship; but a removal order on the other hand, and an opportunity to apply for PRRA. I am seeking some information and support to understand what my next steps should be. I am from Yemen & I kno2 I won't be accepted because I claimed refugee in the US.
Do I need yo do anything?

Sandeepgill83

Star Member
Apr 10, 2022
Hi, I received a removal order interview letter yesterday. The letter says I am to present myself at the office on November 7, 2022.

A little background information on me is I applied for refugee status when I first arrived in Canada back in Sept 2021. I, later on, married my wife who is Canadian in March of 2022 and had a Spousal Sponsorship application submitted by July of 2022 (My spousal application is still in the process, and I just received my work permit in the mail). In August of 2022, I received my first interview for the refugee claim and was found ineligible.

I am now in a position where I am not sure what to do. On one hand, I just got my work permit through my spousal sponsorship; but a removal order on the other hand, and an opportunity to apply for PRRA. I am seeking some information and support to understand what my next steps should be. I am from Yemen & I kno2 I won't be accepted because I claimed refugee in the US.
Do I need yo do anything?
Don’t worry you can go to cbsa office, there officer very nice, they don’t deport you right way, it’s very long process,

also you can still work until you present in canada

CanadaMKMK22

Star Member
Oct 18, 2022
Hi, the same people making H&C decisions also decide PRRA applications and they have established priorities.

So, PRRA is the primary priority because the CBSA and IRCC are both governmental bodies and IRCC prioritizes PRRAs in order to not cause delays in the CBSA's case work. Ergo, an H&C that doesn't have an accompanying PRRA isn't a priority.

Inside of this overarching priority are the general priorities of criminal and security cases.

They assign cases in "blocks," and by that I mean a half a dozen cases from the same nation for one decision-maker, so that their research for one case can overlap with the other work they'll engage in with the next decision. There are lots of commonalities so it is practical to do it this way.

So, someone with only a PRRA, or a PRRA and an H&C will be decided well before someone with only an H&C and no removal order.

Statistics guide future funding and productivity is always centre stage for PRRA and H&C decision-making.

That's how it worked when I was actively interested in the whole thing and I doubt that much has changed.
Thanks for the details. That makes a lot of sense... :) at least I have better understanding now so thanks again!

wello711

Champion Member
Feb 11, 2021
Canada
Category........
Other

Why is the waiting time for second H&C applications shorter than for first applications?