+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guys, I think my family member is scammed, what to do next?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Let me clarify the case bit more

- Employer is in Canada
- VIA family circle, found that employer is issuing LMIA for 15 lakhs when the passport process is done and then you work for him while paying small amount from paycheck
- Using the LMIA letter, he applied for the worker visa, agent in India helped him with the filing process as employer provided his info to my brother in law
- He was rejected 1st time as enough details were not provided from the employer side probably
- He opened a query, that how can you issue an LMIA and then reject the visa. LMIA is passed in 1st place as it was approved by government
- He got the medical request and passport request with approved work visa for 2 years when he applied again
- But then he received an update from employer that he cannot afford to hire him in this economy, and that he has cut down his team size to 1 person

I want to take a legal action against employer and the agent in India. It has not only costed us money but also mental turmoil
What your brother in law did was illegal. He paid for an LMIA . So he’s as much to blame as the person who sold it to him . Supply , demand . He perpetrated the problem of the LMIA black market by buying one .
There wouldn’t be a market for these if people just got a LMIA the legal way and stopped trying to scam or manipulate the market. Sorry, what’s the problem now ?
He got scammed , and now can’t play the victim

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Lol true. But how would they get a work permit approved if the LMIA wasn't real? Money arrangement constitutes fraud but a genuine LMIA must have been obtained no?
Because there is a black market. Agents get big money for people to file for a “legitimate” LMIA. So if person in Canada wants to pursue through the courts then expect brother in law to face legal repercussions if he ever comes to Canada. Or be barred from Canada.

forevermore76

Star Member
May 19, 2024
Because there is a black market. Agents get big money for people to file for a “legitimate” LMIA. So if person in Canada wants to pursue through the courts then expect brother in law to face legal repercussions if he ever comes to Canada. Or be barred from Canada.
Yes, so there's no real victim here but the system itself is flawed. Brother in law might still have some legal recourse but he will clearly implicate himself in the process too.

I'm really surprised you can even get a LMIA that easy. I thought it was super restrictive..

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It’s getting a bit rich that the people involved in this type of scam/ fraud are now brazen enough to complain when they , themselves are scammed .

Don’t think people in other countries realize is that situations like this , is what’s turning a once pro immigration population into a anti immigration population

Reactions: PabloSektman