+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guidance please

macin100

Aug 12, 2009
Hi..we live in the UK and are applying for immigaration to Canada. I am a qualified Human Resource professional and my wife is a Social Worker. When we do the online points test, we have more than enough points, however when I was looking at Federal Skilled Worker route, the CIC list (list of occupations identified in the Ministerial Instructions) does not mention Human resources or Social Workers as being on their list, which I think means that we cannot immigrate.

However when you go through their web too (Immigrating as a worker: am I eligible?)l, both of our professions are listed, 1 Skill level A in Business, finance and administration occupations and the other in Skill Level B — Occupations usually require college education or apprenticeship training. Some of the questions that follow don't make sence, however at the end of it, it indicates that we may be eligable but may need a job.

Any advice would be welcome please.

Thanks

S.K

May 29, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
05-08-2011
You do not qualify unless you have at least one year of work experience in an occupation listed in 38 list issued by Minister

accreddy

Star Member
May 20, 2009
If you are UK citizens you may be able to come and work for 1 yr. and then immigrate under FSW category 3 (be in Canada working for past 12 months).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is a working holiday program at www.bunac.org but I believe it's only for young people and not sure if couples can apply.

You have the option of skilled worker if you or your wife have a job offer (AEO). It's not exactly easy to get a job offer though when you are outside Canada. The skilled worker categories are as follows: category 1 for people who have experience in the most wanted 38 occupations, category two for people who have any skilled experience and have a skilled job offer and category 3 for people who are already in Canada for a year. That would be another option, if you can't get a job offer but one of you might like to go to university, the other one gets an open work permit and then you could apply after a year.

You can also look into Quebec skilled worker which doesn't require a job offer but is hard to qualify for unless you know some French which of course you could learn :)