Champion Member
Jun 16, 2014
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hello Everyone,

I myself migrated to Canada in 2006, and since been working in the IT industry and currently work for VMware. Understand that getting a job here could be little painful - but I am more that happy to share my views and guidance to help anyone out. If you have any questions - please do let me know.

Looking forward to you sharing some experience.

Jul 22, 2014
Thanks a lot sir, could you tell me if it's possible to find a job without prior experience in the IT sector, also should i look for consultants that can find me a job?

Impresso

Champion Member
Jun 16, 2014
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Mississauga
nojobexperience said:
Thanks a lot sir, could you tell me if it's possible to find a job without prior experience in the IT sector, also should i look for consultants that can find me a job?
I like your profile name 'nojobexperience' - You would be reducing your chances in finding a job without ANY experiences in IT. Do you have any certification ? Which field in IT would you suit yourself in ?

If by consultants you mean recruiters - then yes some take a small amount of money and some will take a cut from your pay - but at the end of it, they look certain key elements in a person and their past experience, to find them a suitable job .

akuma55

Jul 11, 2014
could u pls tell us how is the job situation in canada?

how hard is it to find a job after college pg? are there a lot of people who have to leave canada after 2 year study + 3 year pgwp? i mean 5 years is a long time.

how long did it take u to get ur job? if u have got a foreign degree , was it accepted?

thanks

Impresso

Champion Member
Jun 16, 2014
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Mississauga
akuma55 said:
could u pls tell us how is the job situation in canada?

how hard is it to find a job after college pg? are there a lot of people who have to leave canada after 2 year study + 3 year pgwp? i mean 5 years is a long time.

how long did it take u to get ur job? if u have got a foreign degree , was it accepted?

thanks
In reference to IT Jobs - it is booming in Canada - esp for Development and Cloud Computing.

Would you be able to clarify what "pgwp" is ? International students who come in to study at a university and then look for a job after completion, is a little bit difficult. ( Unless you are a top ranking student) - A lot of Universities and Colleges, offer Co-Op and Internship and it is easy to settle the job moving forward.

The funny thing is - they didn't look at my Degree - only work experience and the willingness attitude.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
Impresso said:
Would you be able to clarify what "pgwp" is ? International students who come in to study at a university and then look for a job after completion, is a little bit difficult. ( Unless you are a top ranking student) - A lot of Universities and Colleges, offer Co-Op and Internship and it is easy to settle the job moving forward.
I'll have to disagree. IT in entry levels are also booming. We have more than 5 recent graduates (all of them in PGWP).

Impresso

Champion Member
Jun 16, 2014
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Jalex23 said:
I'll have to disagree. IT in entry levels are also booming. We have more than 5 recent graduates (all of them in PGWP).
Thats good news Jalex23 - Thanks for the info: We haven't had many successful graduates come in for about a year - mostly people with atleast 2 years industry experience. But def good to see the entry levels are also booming.

kantesai

Star Member
Dec 18, 2013
London UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CEC-Ottawa, Immigration ofc London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
17-OCT-2013
Med's Request
15-April-2014
Med's Done....
07-May-2014
Interview........
Waived, Recieved RPRF Mail
Passport Req..
14-May-2014, changed location mail 21-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-June-2014
Could you please throw some light on SAP jobs in GTA.

I have an overall 8+ years of SAP Functional experience. I worked with various clients in CANADA/UK/Belgium. I currently hold Candaian PR and would like to move to canada in 1st week of SEP.

pa1sn

Jul 25, 2014
@ALL, I have done Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science of 4 years course.
I have 2 years prior IT experience in Software development (CORE JAVA,WEB SERVICES, FRAMEWORKS, PL/SQL ETC,,,,)

I am joining for masters in applied computer science in Concordia university in this September. MONTREAL
What chances do I have getting an internship while I am pursuing my studies and
Could you please throw some light on how can I mould my degree into gaining a good software development job after my studies.

Impresso

Champion Member
Jun 16, 2014
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Mississauga
kantesai said:
Could you please throw some light on SAP jobs in GTA.

I have an overall 8+ years of SAP Functional experience. I worked with various clients in CANADA/UK/Belgium. I currently hold Candaian PR and would like to move to canada in 1st week of SEP.
Unfortunately kantesai - I am not well versed with SAP - perhaps senior member dealing with SAP could answer you questions better.

All I have heard from a few friends is, if you are an SAP Developer - you makes 6 Figures Easy. Have you looked into posting from linkedin or monster.ca ?

Impresso

Champion Member
Jun 16, 2014
Ontario - Canada
Category........
Other
Visa Office......
Mississauga
pa1sn said:
@ ALL, I have done Bachelors of Engineering in Computer Science of 4 years course.
I have 2 years prior IT experience in Software development (CORE JAVA,WEB SERVICES, FRAMEWORKS, PL/SQL ETC,,,,)

I am joining for masters in applied computer science in Concordia university in this September. MONTREAL
What chances do I have getting an internship while I am pursuing my studies and
Could you please throw some light on how can I mould my degree into gaining a good software development job after my studies.
Hello pa1sn - your university/faculty program or coordinator should be able to highlight what is the application process for Internship/Co-op Programs. One of the hottest thing in the market is Mobile Development. There is also a fast resource for freelancing in the world of Web Dev.

Once you get into your program you will easily be able to form networks - which will help you decide which direction you would like to head towards.

kantesai

Star Member
Dec 18, 2013
London UK
Category........
Visa Office......
CEC-Ottawa, Immigration ofc London, UK
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
17-OCT-2013
Med's Request
15-April-2014
Med's Done....
07-May-2014
Interview........
Waived, Recieved RPRF Mail
Passport Req..
14-May-2014, changed location mail 21-May-2014
VISA ISSUED...
13-June-2014
Impresso said:
Unfortunately kantesai - I am not well versed with SAP - perhaps senior member dealing with SAP could answer you questions better.

All I have heard from a few friends is, if you are an SAP Developer - you makes 6 Figures Easy. Have you looked into posting from linkedin or monster.ca ?
Thanks for that Impresso..Yeah I am loking into Linkedin and Monster.... Hopefully I get the 6 figures :) ...Many thanks.

victor_7jan

Jul 29, 2014
Hi All,

I am from India. I am an aspiring immigrant for Canada. I have a total of 6.5years of IT/ITes experience. I have completed my Bachelors of Engineering program in distance learning. Currently I am working as a Senior Software Engineer in one of the reputed IT Companies in India (leader in e-payments industry) with an International Client headquartered in US. I do hold a very good command over English language.

Is there any way anyone can help me get a job in Canada? If not, can anyone show some ray of hope somehow?

It will be really helpful if someone could take his/her valuable time out and reply to my questions. Please find my LinkedIn profile through the hyperlink below:-
in.linkedin.com/pub/victor-bagchi/32/a90/8b0/

Thanking you all for your efforts and time for me in advance.

With Regards,
Victor.

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
To start I would not take a picture of myself wearing a sleeveless jacket standing front of rocks with sunglasses and a hat. Linkedin is a business oriented social networking site. You might want to change your profile picture to something a tad descent.

Remove Independent course work from your profile, nobody knows about Bigdata and hadoop and if you plan to put it there anyway please define them and also explain what you mean by "Exp compl. Sept 2014"<--(do not use shortcuts and let people guess what it means)

Elaborate on your skills and expand on your existing job description. Try to refrain from using only key words followed by commas, instead try to put them into context in your own experience and how your contribution helped the company.

Remove causes you care about, keep them on facebook or something more personal.