+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Guardianship

Bighead

Apr 18, 2022
I am a Canadian Citizen and my wife is a Japanese Citizen. My daughter was born in Japan and has a Canadian Passport. We live in Japan and would like to send our daughter to live with my brother (her Uncle) in Vancouver, BC for a year. I was born and raised in Vancouver and would like my daughter to get to know her relatives in Canada better. Of course we will be visiting her two or three times during the year. While my daughter is in Vancouver she will be attending the local elementary school. I will have my brother become her Guardian since my wife and I will be staying in Japan and working. Do you think this is possible? Will I have to pay International School Fees for my daughter even though she has her Canadian Citizenship? Has anyone ever done this before? Her uncle is also a Canadian Citizen and married to a Canadian Citizen if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any information or advice

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am a Canadian Citizen and my wife is a Japanese Citizen. My daughter was born in Japan and has a Canadian Passport. We live in Japan and would like to send our daughter to live with my brother (her Uncle) in Vancouver, BC for a year. I was born and raised in Vancouver and would like my daughter to get to know her relatives in Canada better. Of course we will be visiting her two or three times during the year. While my daughter is in Vancouver she will be attending the local elementary school. I will have my brother become her Guardian since my wife and I will be staying in Japan and working. Do you think this is possible? Will I have to pay International School Fees for my daughter even though she has her Canadian Citizenship? Has anyone ever done this before? Her uncle is also a Canadian Citizen and married to a Canadian Citizen if that makes any difference.

Check responses on your original thread: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/guardianship-and-studying-in-vancouver.765308/

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Ask her Uncle to check with the school board where he lives. In theory, she shouldn't need to pay internation student titution. But it's better to check with the local school board to see if and how she can be admitted.

btw. I think this is a better place for this discussion.

As canuck78 has pointed out, this may lead to creating a situation for OP to be considered a tax residence of Canada because of family tie.