+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduation while waiting the answer for study permit extension

Lesou

Aug 14, 2018
Hi guys,

I had one subject left in order to graduate from a 3yr program at the college. My Visa was to expire in July 15th, and I have applied to a study permit extension in June 20th.(Because the website was having issues and I could not submit on June 15th)
The thing is that I have completed my final exams for the summer term and I have not yet received my extension. The website says they are processing applications received on June 29th. So I sent them an email inquiring about the extension, and they sent me an email saying it may take 10 to get an answer.

My question is: Can I apply for a PGWP while waiting for my study permit extension?

Please help me !!! :(:(:(:(

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Edit; got dates wrong..

You need a valid study permit to apply for PGWP so you cant apply until you get it, also remember you only have 90 days from confirmation of graduation to apply for PGWP.

Important for all students to remember apply 3 months before your study permit expires also if you are nearing graduation and your permit expires soon after, you should apply for a bridging study permit so you have at least 90 days to apply for PGWP.

Lesou

Aug 14, 2018
Edit; got dates wrong..

You need a valid study permit to apply for PGWP so you cant apply until you get it, also remember you only have 90 days from confirmation of graduation to apply for PGWP.

Important for all students to remember apply 3 months before your study permit expires also if you are nearing graduation and your permit expires soon after, you should apply for a bridging study permit so you have at least 90 days to apply for PGWP.

Thanks for your answer.

Metalhead_666

Star Member
Apr 12, 2016
Hi guys,

I had one subject left in order to graduate from a 3yr program at the college. My Visa was to expire in July 15th, and I have applied to a study permit extension in June 20th.(Because the website was having issues and I could not submit on June 15th)
The thing is that I have completed my final exams for the summer term and I have not yet received my extension. The website says they are processing applications received on June 29th. So I sent them an email inquiring about the extension, and they sent me an email saying it may take 10 to get an answer.

My question is: Can I apply for a PGWP while waiting for my study permit extension?

Please help me !!! :(:(:(:(
Have you cleared/passed the pending subject/course that you had? You would not be eligible for a PGWP if you have any pending courses since you need to submit the proof of graduation (graduation letter) whilst applying for PGWP along with the final transcripts. Many people just get away by submitting just the transcripts, but a lot of them a denied too! (Few of my friends were denied because they submitted just the transcripts).

Lesou

Aug 14, 2018
Have you cleared/passed the pending subject/course that you had? You would not be eligible for a PGWP if you have any pending courses since you need to submit the proof of graduation (graduation letter) whilst applying for PGWP along with the final transcripts. Many people just get away by submitting just the transcripts, but a lot of them a denied too! (Few of my friends were denied because they submitted just the transcripts).
Yes, I passed the subject. Now I am just waiting for my extension in order to apply for my PGWP. It has been almost 60 days and I havent had yet any answers from CIC. The documents submitted were accepted and to summarize, I only need the final answer. That makes me so uneasy because they say they are analysing the applications submitted on July 29th. I don't know what to do.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Yes, I passed the subject. Now I am just waiting for my extension in order to apply for my PGWP. It has been almost 60 days and I havent had yet any answers from CIC. The documents submitted were accepted and to summarize, I only need the final answer. That makes me so uneasy because they say they are analysing the applications submitted on July 29th. I don't know what to do.
Call them.

Cmprod

Aug 4, 2017
Just checking did you get your extension on time. I in same situation, waiting so i can apply for pgwp?
Also do you know if can work my 20hrs while waiting

MTRMAN

Jan 12, 2019
Anyone can tell that when to start counting for 90 days, finished the last subject examination or the issue date of the confirmation of graduation letter? thank you

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Anyone can tell that when to start counting for 90 days, finished the last subject examination or the issue date of the confirmation of graduation letter? thank you
The day your graduation was confirmed, doesnt matter it its in letter, email, online portal etc.

yaccie

Jan 19, 2019
hello .
so if i take a 2year dipl in these institutions (meaning tht i wont qualify for a pgwp)and apply again another 2 year diploma in another institution that is eligible for a pgwp, is it posible to do so?

i will obviously apply for the other diploma while still in canada before even graduating the 1st dipl, before my 90 day grace period expires