+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Graduate certificate program after Masters degree

am571

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am 29, with a Masters (MS) degree from the US and over three years of work experience.
I am planning to apply for a 1 year graduate certificate/diploma program. I could have gone for a masters program but it’s over my budget at the moment.

Could it be a negative factor that I am applying for a 1 year certificate program after already having a masters degree.

Thanks in advance..

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi everyone,

I am 29, with a Masters (MS) degree from the US and over three years of work experience.
I am planning to apply for a 1 year graduate certificate/diploma program. I could have gone for a masters program but it’s over my budget at the moment.

Could it be a negative factor that I am applying for a 1 year certificate program after already having a masters degree.

Thanks in advance..
Absolutely as you have a US MS degree. You need to show that taking a certificate will advance your career in your home country. So show that your MS degree didn’t give you the jobs you wanted with the pay you wanted, but getting a certificate does that. You can’t show education progression so your career advancement needs to be solid. The certificate must be related to the Masters.

am571

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Absolutely as you have a US MS degree. You need to show that taking a certificate will advance your career in your home country. So show that your MS degree didn’t give you the jobs you wanted with the pay you wanted, but getting a certificate does that. You can’t show education progression so your career advancement needs to be solid. The certificate must be related to the Masters.
Ya, agreed.

Thank you.

Menzhel1462

Star Member
Mar 7, 2022
Hi if it’s any help.. I got approved for a visa while having a Masters from a UK university and applied for graduate certificate here in Canada. Yes the course you choose must align with your previous degree or work experience..you just have to explain in such a way that will convince the officer …so it’s not a negative factor hope it helps

am571

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
Hi if it’s any help.. I got approved for a visa while having a Masters from a UK university and applied for graduate certificate here in Canada. Yes the course you choose must align with your previous degree or work experience..you just have to explain in such a way that will convince the officer …so it’s not a negative factor hope it helps
Yes, it is very helpful. I have Master`s degree (MS) from US and I am planning to study project management or related graduate certificate course in Canada.
Could you please share your course details, what did you study in the UK and what course you applied for in Canada, it will give me a better idea.

Thanks a lot for your response..

Menzhel1462

Star Member
Mar 7, 2022
Hi so I studied General Management for my Masters and now doing Human Resources Management for my graduate certificate .
What did you study for Masters?

Menzhel1462

Star Member
Mar 7, 2022
I forgot to mention that I also applied at 29 years with the same years of work experience you stated. So if new program aligns with your previous degree and maybe offers something different to the Masters ( eg doing a Co-op) then you can explain in your SOP

am571

Star Member
Nov 17, 2020
I forgot to mention that I also applied at 29 years with the same years of work experience you stated. So if new program aligns with your previous degree and maybe offers something different to the Masters ( eg doing a Co-op) then you can explain in your SOP
Thanks a lot for sharing it with me, it certainly helps.
I have a masters degree in mechanical engineering and now I am focusing on applying to a 1 year graduate certificate or diploma program in manufacturing/supply chain or project management.
I also have 8 months of work experience as a project manager in a manufacturing company. So I hope my chosen program makes sense, and as you said I would need a good sop.

Did you write the sop yourself or did you take professional help?