+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got the landing paper in 2005 but did not landed in Canada, and now entered Canada on a Visitor Visa

alizz

Star Member
Sep 10, 2019
Hi,
My relative got the PR status back in 2005 but never came to Canada, now he applied for regular visitor visa and was granted the visa for 05 years, he brought his landing paper with him, can we get his status restored

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
My relative got the PR status back in 2005 but never came to Canada, now he applied for regular visitor visa and was granted the visa for 05 years, he brought his landing paper with him, can we get his status restored
No, you can't get the landing papers restored. He has to apply for PR from scratch under the current immigration programs and rules.

Reactions: YVR123

alizz

Star Member
Sep 10, 2019
thanks for prompt reply , there is another scenario which is why I was bit confused, a friend of mine his mom was a landed immigration in 60's and she left Canada within a year. Now her son sponsored her on a visit visa . Which was granted she came in and her torn half page of landing paper was there she went to service Canada and they issued her SIN and after that she applied for status and got it after almost 55 years. So what do you comment on this scenario

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The second scenario is different. The mom landed (i.e. traveled to Canada) and actually and became a permanent resident. Your relative never traveled to Canada back in 2005 and never became a PR.

Reactions: alizz

DavidM

Oct 24, 2023
So did the second scenario work because IRCC (or CIC before that) never officially determined at any point that she had not fulfilled the residency obligation and therefore never terminated her PR status?

And how would IRCC have issued a visitor visa? Is it that IRCC couldn't connect her current passport to her old PR status from 60 years back?

But presumably, if the mom was to apply for a PR card or a PRTD, she would have to prove the residency obligation, so would have to show that she was in Canada for at leat 730days in the previous 5 years?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
And how would IRCC have issued a visitor visa? Is it that IRCC couldn't connect her current passport to her old PR status from 60 years back?
Basically yes. Not, not 'couldn't', but 'didn't' - either automatically or they had no reason to check.

For files that are computerized, they are quite good at not issuing visitor visas to PR holders. But for older files - not always. I don't know exactly what dates are 'cutoff' - I know that they stopped issuing the 'record of landing' paper sometime in the last 20-odd years (mid or early 2000s I believe), and I think the computerization / digitization was around then.

I believe I read that they digitized / computerized some files especially recent ones before that unknown date, but clearly stopped at some point digging back, assuming that mostly the older files weren't going to be relevant and/or could be hauled up when needed. But just cost of going for 100% of all records was never going to make sense - not that many PRs from the 60s going to return like in the case above.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your friend’s mother also got very lucky. Most Service Canada offices will want better proof than a landing document from the 60s since anything could have happened with her status since then. Sadly being able to get a SIN# may not actually confirm that she remains a PR since many departments don’t actually communicate with each other. If she was able to get a TRV then IRCC is not aware of her PR status. Until she is able to renew her PR card status then her status in Canada is not confirmed. Getting a SIN# doesn’t actually confirm one ma immigration status. She should confirm with IRCC that she actually remains a PR if she is not well versed in immigration requirements over the past 60 years. Would add that the mother may not be able to get provincial healthcare until she gets a valid PR card.