+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got Study permit but not attending school

socrates

Mar 13, 2013
This is for a friend of mine who has a similar situation and got invitation for express entry.

My friend got 2 years student visa in 2012 but dropped the program immediately after arrival. After one year of not attending school he enrolled in a one year program and completed it. Further he enrolled for the 3 months GAS program and renewed his study permit. Finally he was granted 3 years post- graduate work permit post his GAS program. Now the question how will he justify/explain the initial one year of not attending school.? He did not have a problem so far getting the pgwp which is valid for another year as well.

starlettedouze

Star Member
Jul 10, 2013
Category........
CEC
App. Filed.......
07-03-2017
AOR Received.
17-03-2017
This is for a friend of mine who has a similar situation and got invitation for express entry.

My friend got 2 years student visa in 2012 but dropped the program immediately after arrival. After one year of not attending school he enrolled in a one year program and completed it. Further he enrolled for the 3 months GAS program and renewed his study permit. Finally he was granted 3 years post- graduate work permit post his GAS program. Now the question how will he justify/explain the initial one year of not attending school.? He did not have a problem so far getting the pgwp which is valid for another year as well.
I don't think there would be any justification/explanation for not attending school while on a study permit. It's in violation of the regulations. If he didn't got to school, he should have changed his status to visitor. He might have been lucky that he was granted a PGWP but once he submits his PR application, IRCC will uncover the gap and he can potentially be inadmissible.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011

Unusual that he got away with this, but the timeline might provide the clue... IRCC has implemented new systems since then, including implementing stricter controls on study permits.

He certainly should not have gotten a 3-yr PGWP, but that mistake was IRCC's, so they are unlikely to penalize him for that (unless he misrepresented something in that application). As long as he was not working illegally at any time, and as long as he does not misrepresent anything, IRCC will *probably* let it slide. My suggestion would be to be 100% honest and explain as best as he can...

socrates

Mar 13, 2013
Unusual that he got away with this, but the timeline might provide the clue... IRCC has implemented new systems since then, including implementing stricter controls on study permits.

He certainly should not have gotten a 3-yr PGWP, but that mistake was IRCC's, so they are unlikely to penalize him for that (unless he misrepresented something in that application). As long as he was not working illegally at any time, and as long as he does not misrepresent anything, IRCC will *probably* let it slide. My suggestion would be to be 100% honest and explain as best as he can...
I am more stressed than my friend because I am helping him fill the application.

The reason why he got three years work permit is because he did the GAS program(General Arts and Science) which is a three month program but gives enough credits to avail a 3 years work permit. Many students who came here for a one year program did the GAS program later and got 3 years work permit.

I was thinking to attach a LOE explaining that after arriving at the college he was not satisfied with the program and did some research and found a new program that only starts after a year. That is the reason why he waited for a year and joined the program which is also the true story.

AK rana

Mar 19, 2018
I wanna ask a que. Did he changed his DLI no.? The same thing is going on with me.. i arrived on 1jan 2017 and imidiatly got drop. And after 8 months.. i started my study in 2 year diploma.. and curruntly i am in 2nd sem. But still confused and so much tensed that am i gona get PGWP or nott? Or i didnt studied for 2 sem. So am i carrying a legal status or i am out of status now? Plz reply.

limin_w

Jul 17, 2017
I wanna ask a que. Did he changed his DLI no.? The same thing is going on with me.. i arrived on 1jan 2017 and imidiatly got drop. And after 8 months.. i started my study in 2 year diploma.. and curruntly i am in 2nd sem. But still confused and so much tensed that am i gona get PGWP or nott? Or i didnt studied for 2 sem. So am i carrying a legal status or i am out of status now? Plz reply.
The 8 months after your arrival in Canada without active enrolment in school will put you out of status... the 8 months with no school are a violation of of your study permit and in the eye of IRCC, your study permit would have been automatically cancelled. I don't believe you would get PGWP now... I suggest you talk to a lawyer as this is a serious problem.

Jun 27, 2018
Hi ,
My question is ,, I’m student in icm at winnipeg at Canada and I come here at January,, I attended the classes at first semester but I dropped it at last of semester coz of marks .. in second semester I’m doing right now but want to drop it coz i m very much absent in this semester and I have offer letter of other college coz I want to leave icm ..!! The next semester of my college from which I get offer letter starting in January so is this any prob regarding this to immigration??? Coz I dropped first one and want to leave i in second semester?? Then my next semester will starts on January..so it means I don’t attend my college... but now I m going to leave this icm coz of other college where I have to get admission!! Is there any prob?? Plz advise me??

dannyland97

Aug 17, 2018
hello my study permit is said to expire in June 2019 and i left Canada in January 2017. I have an admission to come back in January and I would like to know if my study permit is still valid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hello my study permit is said to expire in June 2019 and i left Canada in January 2017. I have an admission to come back in January and I would like to know if my study permit is still valid.
Same answer as last time. Unless you deferred admission your student permit was cancelled.

Guru8888

Oct 11, 2019
Hello Guys,

I came to canada on dated 11th sep-19.My college class started on dated 24th sep-19.But still i have not attend the college because i want to change the college due to college not eligible for PGWP.i have missed the sept intake to apply any other college.Now apply for Jan-2020 intake for business course.College will take 3-4 weeks issue the offer letter.After that my old college will transfer the fee to new college.

Can You confirm me how long i can stay without attend the college.What next i can do for stay do any short certificate course (if any kindly confirm the course duration-length ).If no need any course kindly confirm the same.Any impact will come on future.

Will wait Your reply........

Thank You..........!

Diamond42

Star Member
Nov 26, 2019
Hi all,

Can someone on a study permit do skip the dishes on his personal account before his school session starts? Would that count as working illegally?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi all,

Can someone on a study permit do skip the dishes on his personal account before his school session starts? Would that count as working illegally?
Others can comment but assuming you would be paid for this then it would be work

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

That will count as working illegally.