+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got PR VISA now we broke up...Common Law

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2009
So what's happens to my PR VISA- It's over between us we broke up after such as happy moment....can I no longer do my landing ? :-(O

genio

Star Member
Dec 27, 2008
wow,,,if you landed, I gather your sponsor could still be on the hook for 3 years of financial support? Sorry about the break up.

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
not sure what you would say at the landing interview, but I'm sure if you wanted to stay in canada, u can pull it off.
your sponsor signed the agreement saying he'll support u for 3 years regardless of your relationship condition.
sorry to hear about ur break up... good luck

Misria

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
canda montreal
As I said in a different post, once you have the Pr, you can divorce even before landing. That is why us the responsible one who sponsors have to sign a paper of immigration saying we acknowledge the commitment of sponsoring.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Misria said:
As I said in a different post, once you have the Pr, you can divorce even before landing. That is why us the responsible one who sponsors have to sign a paper of immigration saying we acknowledge the commitment of sponsoring.
WHAT??? Why are you saying this stuff???

Ok, technically when you land at a port of entry you have a landing interview. It's normally not long but they do ask you if there have been changes in your relationship. If you tell the TRUTH and say yes, my sponsor and I broke up, you are no longer a member of the family class. If you lie, you are guilty of misrepresentation. If they find out, they can revoke your PR and deport you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who's to say the relationship is over? Maybe they had a fight and they will get back together. If he feels that the relationship is not over and lands in Canada with the intent to reconcile with his common-law wife, noone can say his intentions were not real and when he says at landing that there is no change in his status, he's not lying while just because you have a fight with your wife doesn't mean you are divorced.

Even if his common-law wife then reports him for coming to Canada after they had already broken up, it's unlikely that the authorites will do anything about it.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You're right Leon. There's a gray area with the common law thing. It's at the discretion of the CBSA officer and it depends on whether the sponsor has reported this new set of "facts" (using this term loosely) to CBSA. I hope the OP and his partner get back together. However, I was commenting on the post that said you can "divorce" your sponsor before you land. That's ridiculous and untrue. There was a case where a Husband and Wife broke up before landing but they did NOT divorce. CBSA allowed the applicant to land and did not want to get involved in their marital issues. The sponsor then reported the breakup to CIC and they are reviewing the new PR's eligibility for PR (or so they say because they hate investigating these things.) However, if a sponsor produces a divorce order or certificate to CBSA BEFORE the applicant lands, they are no longer a member of the family class and CBSA won't allow them to land. At best, they will allow them to stay in Canada to appeal their decision and it goes from there.