+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got PR through inland Sponsorship, car (still financing) never imported

DrewAP

Nov 14, 2017
This one is a doozy, so I'll do my best to lay out the information.

- Got married in 2016 to Canadian wife. We lived separately for a little over a year.
- Bought my (first) vehicle through a dealership in the USA (financed through Ford Credit)
- Moved to Canada with wife in 2017 and applied inland via Spousal Sponsorship
- Brought my car with me over the border initially
- Got PR in late 2018 (to this day, haven't received PR card and have sent in a Solemn Declaration about a month ago but that's a whole other mess).
- Car is still being financed through Ford Credit and according to Customs, I need permission from the lienholder to get the car registered in Canada.
- Ford Credit (US) refused to give permission for me to register the car in Canada whilst being financed.
- My "Confirmation of PR" form that I use currently to travel between the US and Canda expires on 6/20 of this year and I have no clue when my PR card is coming, so traveling back and forth between the US and Canada if I were to sell my car has a limited window.
- Right now I'm currently unemployed and having difficulty finding work without a legal/reliable method of transportation.

Are there any other options that I'm overlooking because I'm kind of lost on what I could/should be doing in this situation.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
You don't have many options - you have to own your car to export it (or get permission, which you aren't getting).

You can try selling your car and buying a cheaper car outright. There are companies that will buy out your lease, look into that.

Also, your CoPR expiring doesn't matter. You can still enter Canada with an expired CoPR and your passport, since you have already landed as a PR. So you have more time than you think.