+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got PGWP Extension over Flagpole

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
I hope the below information helps anyone who has to flagpole for PGWP or PGWP Extension.

1- You do not need a valid TRV to do flagpoling.
2- You might however need a valid status in Canada, i.e Study Permit or PGWP.
3- You can do flagpoling during the weekends. I did mine on a Saturday evening.
4- For PGWP Extension- You might run into a scenario where the Border Service Agent will say that they cannot do extension. My Border Service Agent told me that only new PGWP is done by flagpoling. The Extension is done through Online or Paper Application. I managed to convince him that I am running out of time waiting for the decision as I have submitted an Online Application 3 months ago and still have not received any information and the fact that my PGWP is set to expire in a week. After 30 minutes or so of waiting- I got my PGWP Extension. It is a new document with the remaining eligible period of PGWP. Mine is for a year because my original PGWP was set for 2 years. After paying the fees of $255 or something, I was set.

Most of the times- only new PGWP is issued through flagpole. However, there are many cases where PGWP Extension can be issued by flagpole depending on the urgency of the applicant. Make sure to carry all supporting documents, i.e- Passport, Current PGWP(Make sure it is still valid), Proof of Funds(Can be helpful. I was not asked for one. I still carried one).

When meeting the Canadian Border Service Agent- be polite and coherent when explaining your situation. I know its hard but try to stay calm through out the process.
Please be aware- Scenarios tend to differ depending on the applicant's situation and the Border Service Agent they are dealing with.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.

Reactions: Mjkab

numair728

Star Member
Apr 19, 2014
codeguru said:
I hope the below information helps anyone who has to flagpole for PGWP or PGWP Extension.

4- For PGWP Extension- You might run into a scenario where the Border Service Agent will say that they cannot do extension. My Border Service Agent told me that only new PGWP is done by flagpoling. The Extension is done through Online or Paper Application. I managed to convince him that I am running out of time waiting for the decision as I have submitted an Online Application 3 months ago and still have not received any information and the fact that my PGWP is set to expire in a week. After 30 minutes or so of waiting- I got my PGWP Extension. It is a new document with the remaining eligible period of PGWP. Mine is for a year because my original PGWP was set for 2 years. After paying the fees of $255 or something, I was set.

Most of the times- only new PGWP is issued through flagpole. However, there are many cases where PGWP Extension can be issued by flagpole depending on the urgency of the applicant. Make sure to carry all supporting documents, i.e- Passport, Current PGWP(Make sure it is still valid), Proof of Funds(Can be helpful. I was not asked for one. I still carried one).

When meeting the Canadian Border Service Agent- be polite and coherent when explaining your situation. I know its hard but try to stay calm through out the process.
Please be aware- Scenarios tend to differ depending on the applicant's situation and the Border Service Agent they are dealing with.

Sounds good. much appreciable advise and effort to put it here.

thank you

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
Joantasik said:
Thank you for this detailed information. What if I have a US visa what should I do?
If you have a valid US visa, you can just enter into US for a couple hours or so and then just return back to Canada.

However, if you do not want to enter into US, just tell the American Border Service Agent that you have a US visa but you are here for 'Flagpole'.

It should not affect your US visa or the ability to enter US some other time.

Cheers.

codeguru

Star Member
Dec 11, 2014
numair728 said:
Sounds good. much appreciable advise and effort to put it here.

thank you
I try. This site have been quite helpful. I try to give back. Thank you for the appreciation.

ali357

Nov 13, 2015
Hello everyone,

Firstly, this information has been very helpful and a source of hope. So thank you very much for that.

I have one additional question to this.

I applied for the PGWP extension via paper based application. But since I need it urgently and decide to flag poll, how can I cancel this previous application? If I cannot cancel and get another work permit, would that complicate matters? I'd really appreciate the feedback and if anything is unclear do let me know.

I truly hope everyone facing similar circumstances come out strong.

Warm regards,

Ali

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
codeguru said:

THANK YOU for this very helpful information!! I just want to ask, which border did you do the flagpole?

mets15

Star Member
Oct 22, 2015
Hi,

I thought I would post my experience here for others! Thanks again for your help Codeguru!

I went to the Coutts/Sweetgrass border yesterday to extend my PGWP. I only had it till Dec 2016 due to my passport expiring. Most of what I've been reading on here is about how extensions aren't given at the border and people are being turned away unless urgent. I don't know if I was lucky, but the officer didn't say anything of the sort to me. When I u-turned back to the Canadian side, the first officer in the office took my passport, a couple of pieces of paper from the Americans and CBSA and my entire folder of documents and support to give to the immigration officer.

After a few minutes, the immigration officer called me over and asked why I was here, he said he was confused because he was looking at an obscene amount of documents in my folder (I carried everything I could think of, including an application form and letter of explanation). This made him think I've already applied. I just apologized and said that the other officer took the whole folder and I didn't know what might be needed so I brought everything I could possibly think of. Then I explained to him that last year when I applied for my PGWP, the processing time was 89 days and it actually took 165 days and I wasn't able to travel out and cancelled about 5 different flights. And then I just explained that right now the paper application time is 111 days, if I add some buffer time for possible delays in there, and then the time I need to obtain travel visas to the countries I am going to, it puts my back to December and I might be in the same situation again and not be able to travel so I thought I would come here and see if you're able to give it to me today.

Frankly, I think I gave him more information than he wanted. After I finished talking, he just asked when am I supposed to have it till and I said Dec 2018 and I have my transcripts here if you want to see. He simply said he believes me and he has no issues giving me the extension, he didn't seem to have opened and looked at my transcripts or anything. He also said that I'll just unfortunately have to pay $255 twice (least of my worries LOL). That was really it, he said he just needs a few months to draw it up and once it's ready I can pay and be on my way.

So there, that was my experience of flag poling yesterday. Hope that helps. Whether they give or don't, I think it is worth trying because a day spent going to try saved me 120 days of applying by paper, if they hadn't given it, at least I would know it's not possible before I spend 120 days waiting for one.

Good luck to everyone who is in such a situation.

Cheers.

nipuns1

Star Member
Nov 8, 2012
canada
Visa Office......
ottawa
hi

My work permit expired on 12 march 2016 and I applied for work permit extension due to passport expiry . Can i still do a flagpole with a expired work permit .It has already been 3 months since I applied.

frustratedcanadian

Jun 18, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
18-11-2016
mets15 said:
Hi,

I thought I would post my experience here for others! Thanks again for your help Codeguru!

I went to the Coutts/Sweetgrass border yesterday to extend my PGWP. I only had it till Dec 2016 due to my passport expiring. Most of what I've been reading on here is about how extensions aren't given at the border and people are being turned away unless urgent. I don't know if I was lucky, but the officer didn't say anything of the sort to me. When I u-turned back to the Canadian side, the first officer in the office took my passport, a couple of pieces of paper from the Americans and CBSA and my entire folder of documents and support to give to the immigration officer.

After a few minutes, the immigration officer called me over and asked why I was here, he said he was confused because he was looking at an obscene amount of documents in my folder (I carried everything I could think of, including an application form and letter of explanation). This made him think I've already applied. I just apologized and said that the other officer took the whole folder and I didn't know what might be needed so I brought everything I could possibly think of. Then I explained to him that last year when I applied for my PGWP, the processing time was 89 days and it actually took 165 days and I wasn't able to travel out and cancelled about 5 different flights. And then I just explained that right now the paper application time is 111 days, if I add some buffer time for possible delays in there, and then the time I need to obtain travel visas to the countries I am going to, it puts my back to December and I might be in the same situation again and not be able to travel so I thought I would come here and see if you're able to give it to me today.

Frankly, I think I gave him more information than he wanted. After I finished talking, he just asked when am I supposed to have it till and I said Dec 2018 and I have my transcripts here if you want to see. He simply said he believes me and he has no issues giving me the extension, he didn't seem to have opened and looked at my transcripts or anything. He also said that I'll just unfortunately have to pay $255 twice (least of my worries LOL). That was really it, he said he just needs a few months to draw it up and once it's ready I can pay and be on my way.

So there, that was my experience of flag poling yesterday. Hope that helps. Whether they give or don't, I think it is worth trying because a day spent going to try saved me 120 days of applying by paper, if they hadn't given it, at least I would know it's not possible before I spend 120 days waiting for one.

Good luck to everyone who is in such a situation.

Cheers.
This is awesome!! I will be flagpoling soon too! Congratulations!

sunsshy

Jan 16, 2017
Hello everyone!!
Just need a piece of advice about flagpoling for Amendment of PGWP. I got my PGWP by flagpoling las year at New Brunswick - Maine Border (woodstock). My employer location was entered by error as Halifax, It should have been Unknown. Now I moved to Manitoba, Is it still possible to Flagpole to nearest border here for the amendment? Kindly help. !!! appreciate any kind of advice.!!!

Thanks !!
cheers

rezmal

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Hi all,
I just got the completion letter from University to apply for PGWP, I'm not from visa- exempt country and my student visa is already expired last year but my study permit is still valid until July 11th.

It's very urgent! thanks!

mosor

Star Member
Jun 28, 2017
Hi all,
I just got the completion letter from University to apply for PGWP, I'm not from visa- exempt country and my student visa is already expired last year but my study permit is still valid until July 11th.

It's very urgent! thanks!
You don't need a valid visa to flagpole from the USA. You better make that PGWP application before July 11, the expiration of your study permit or you will be ineligible to receive a PGWP

Reactions: rezmal