+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got job in Canada but PR expiring soon soon

Canada_soon2014

Jan 2, 2016
Hi All,

I am able to secure a job in Canada, so I am moving back to stay off radar for 2 years and bring my RO back in compliance.

My employer needs a copy of my Canadian PR to run some back ground checks :eek:

My concern is these background checks will invoke anything against me?? e.g like Home office looking into my RO and absence from Canada

Once I join the job and my PR card expires soon..will my Canadian employer ask me to re-new PR card and submit as new valid PR?
is it a law in canada where all employees need to renew PR card in time? :'(

Guys all your help would be greatly appreciated.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Usually a background check looks for issues with criminality. It isn't related to things like PR RO. If you have no issues with criminality, you should be fine.

I doubt an employer would ask to see your PR card again after the first time. Remember that it is not the PR card that indicates you are a PR. The PR Card is really a travel document of sorts.

I think you will be fine. Hopefully others can comment

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Yes my company also asked for PR card. Also it is required to get health card and license etc. Renew your PR card. Now it is required every where.

Canada_soon2014

Jan 2, 2016
ttrajan said:
Yes my company also asked for PR card. Also it is required to get health card and license etc. Renew your PR card. Now it is required every where.
So you saying my employer would request to renew my PR?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
ttrajan said:
Only that first time when you first started at the job, right?

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
New employer will ask for PR card. Also required for school & college admissions, opening bank account, to get health card and license etc. Renew your PR card. Also it is required for travelling.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
ttrajan said:
New employer will ask for PR card. Also required for school & college admissions, opening bank account, to get health card and license etc. Renew your PR card. Also it is required for travelling.
right. But I think the OP was asking if employers will be concerned that it will expire soon or will check status of his PR card afterwards. I don't think employers will care after that first initial time when they ask for it.

Canada_soon2014

Jan 2, 2016
keesio said:
right. But I think the OP was asking if employers will be concerned that it will expire soon or will check status of his PR card afterwards. I don't think employers will care after that first initial time when they ask for it.
Yes my concern is, once I give my PR to my employer, health card and everything...and later on my PR expires will be employer chase to me to re-new it again as they might think expired PR means I have lost my right to work in Canada.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Canada_soon2014 said:
Yes my concern is, once I give my PR to my employer, health card and everything...and later on my PR expires will be employer chase to me to re-new it again as they might think expired PR means I have lost my right to work in Canada.
Your employer will not ask you to renew your card.

McClane

Star Member
Aug 4, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
In my case my employer asked me once for it and that's that. I've renewed my PR twice since then and haven't sent anything to HR. This is a big corporation with a team handling immigration items, so I'd assume they'd follow up if it was required.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada_soon2014 said:
Hopefully they'll forget about it but really there is no law that says you must have a valid PR card in order to live in Canada. If your employer presses on you to renew it, you can tell them you sent the application and immigration didn't get back to you yet. A few months later, you can tell them your are inquiring about your application, a few months later that immigration seems to have lost your application and you have to apply again.

For some info for your boss, go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/ and download ENF 27 in the Enforcement section. This manual is about the PR card. If you go to page 14, you will see this: "IRPA does not require permanent residents in Canada to hold a PRC nor to have one when they present themselves at a port of entry."

IRPA stands for the "Immigration and Refugee Protection Act".

And on page 15: "While the PRC is not a mandatory document within Canada, it is necessary should a permanent resident travel outside Canada using a commercial transportation company."

So really, the PRC is not a mandatory document within Canada according to immigration.

Canada_soon2014

Jan 2, 2016
Thanks alot Leon, you are a life savior.

Can you please also resolve my other mystery regarding my child status.
I will get my non-PR child with me on visa exempt passport into Canada.. After 6 months I will try to extend his visit visa..if its not extended than what options i will have???

Option A- If I sponsor him for PR..this will bring my lack of RO compliance under investigation and I will be at risk.
Option B- I cant send the minor child outside Canada
Option C- If I send my mrs out of Canada with the child than it will be a family separation :( for 2 years plus additional time to sponsor my wife n child.

Can you please advise a better way out.

I already secured a job in Canada and now planning to leave asap..I cannt do all this without the help from you guys on this forum

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada_soon2014 said:
Thanks alot Leon, you are a life savior.

Can you please also resolve my other mystery regarding my child status.
I will get my non-PR child with me on visa exempt passport into Canada.. After 6 months I will try to extend his visit visa..if its not extended than what options i will have???

Option A- If I sponsor him for PR..this will bring my lack of RO compliance under investigation and I will be at risk.
Option B- I cant send the minor child outside Canada
Option C- If I send my mrs out of Canada with the child than it will be a family separation :( for 2 years plus additional time to sponsor my wife n child.

Can you please advise a better way out.

I already secured a job in Canada and now planning to leave asap..I cannt do all this without the help from you guys on this forum
There is unfortunately not many solutions for the child. Immigration could refuse an extension for your child and ask you why you don't sponsor. You should actually not try to sponsor when you don't meet the RO yourself because as you said, it will bring to light that you don't meet it and you would be risking your PR.

I heard that a lawyer had advised not to apply for an extension in this case. I don't know what happens if you don't but immigration may be busy chasing after adults who overstay, are working illegally etc. I have never heard of a visitor child of a PR parent being deported anyway.

Canada_soon2014

Jan 2, 2016
Leon said:
I heard that a lawyer had advised not to apply for an extension in this case. I don't know what happens if you don't but immigration may be busy chasing after adults who overstay, are working illegally etc. I have never heard of a visitor child of a PR parent being deported anyway.
I will be more than happy not to apply for child extension due to the reasons you have mentioned...but will this not cause a bigger problem? his status will become overstayer/illegal and when after 2 years once my RO back in compliance and when I sponsor him ...his application might be PERMANENTLY rejected due to being an over stayer/illegal?? :eek:

can you please confirm

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada_soon2014 said:
I will be more than happy not to apply for child extension due to the reasons you have mentioned...but will this not cause a bigger problem? his status will become overstayer/illegal and when after 2 years once my RO back in compliance and when I sponsor him ...his application might be PERMANENTLY rejected due to being an over stayer/illegal?? :eek:

can you please confirm
No, they can not deny a PR based on somebody overstaying or even being in Canada illegally. Having a history of overstay has nothing to do with PR because you can not overstay a PR.