+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got ITA, can my wife drop school courses??

allenwu08023

Jul 27, 2017
Hello guys!

I have a question here hope someone could give me some advise.

I just got my ITA last week, and preparing the doicuments.

My wife is holding a student visa at the moment and studying in a university. It is required to submit a enrolment letter from her school, for which she needs to be enrolled in at least three courses.

The question is that after she get the enrolment letter can she drop the courses? Will CIC contact university to check her status? Because we just had a baby and she doesn't have the time and energy to take three courses at the same time. Does anyone had similar situation before?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Trusty

Star Member
Jun 12, 2016
If you want to go by-the-book, you shouldn't change anything in your profile, especially if you are getting ITA and COPR based on such facts given to CIC. Such as: you are obliged to tell CIC if anything changes in your profile, like dropping out of school.

ITA is not PR, lot of issues can come up between ITA and COPR. Is the risk worth taking?

If people advice you to do as you planned (drop out) and then CIC asks for the enrollment proof once again after a month or two before COPR, won't you be in a dilemma and risk it being labeled as 'misrepresentation'?

If she can drop out later (you may not get the tuition refund), she could drop out a couple months later when hopefully the application has progressed to almost finalization. Just my 2 cents.

canada_dreamer

Apr 10, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Can she get a doctor's letter saying its too much for her to attend courses due to a medical reason? That way her school might help her drop her courses and still maintain status. I know ppl who have done this.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello guys!

I have a question here hope someone could give me some advise.

My wife is holding a student visa at the moment and studying in a university. It is required to submit a enrolment letter from her school, for which she needs to be enrolled in at least three courses.

The question is that after she get the enrolment letter can she drop the courses? Will CIC contact university to check her status? Because we just had a baby and she doesn't have the time and energy to take three courses at the same time. Does anyone had similar situation before?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Hi

A requirement of her study permit is that she actively pursues her studies; if she stops studying, she is in violation of that and her study permit will be invalidated after 90 days. She should speak to her school about an authorized leave of absence. This will allow her to take a break from her studies while maintaining her status as a student. If she can't go on an authorized leave, she should apply to change her status to visitor.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hello guys!

What is your status in Canada? Are you on a work permit? If yes, what kind and when does it expire?

The question is that after she get the enrolment letter can she drop the courses? Will CIC contact university to check her status?
The university is required to report her if she fails to enroll, attend, or drops out.

Because we just had a baby and she doesn't have the time and energy to take three courses at the same time. Does anyone had similar situation before?

Does she want to take a semester off? A year? Or continue part-time (taking only one or two classes?)
In any case, if she wants to continue part-time or at a later date, she will need to speak with her program advisor and the international student advisor to discuss her options.