+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got BOWP, Can i go back home and come back with out Visa ?

cecpet

Oct 14, 2014
Good Day All,

I want to know, I just got approved my BOWP. Want to go on vacations back home. I have Visa which I got in the beginning 2013 is already expire in 2014.
My question # 1 is: Can I go back home and come back without new visa ?
My question # 2 is : If I need to apply for visa how much time it will take to get the passport back after stamping visa ?
My Question # 3 is: I am thinking to book my tickets for 1st week of July. Is this is enough time to get the visa in hand ?

Please advise all.

Thanks in advance.

kkrr

Star Member
Mar 23, 2014
My question # 1 is: Can I go back home and come back without new visa ? No , unless u r visa exempted countryMy question # 2 is : If I need to apply for visa how much time it will take to get the passport back after stamping visa ? depends current processing timeMy Question # 3 is: I am thinking to book my tickets for 1st week of July. Is this is enough time to get the visa in hand ? I think yes, because usually it will not take more than a month..
cecpet said:
Good Day All,

I want to know, I just got approved my BOWP. Want to go on vacations back home. I have Visa which I got in the beginning 2013 is already expire in 2014.
My question # 1 is: Can I go back home and come back without new visa ?
My question # 2 is : If I need to apply for visa how much time it will take to get the passport back after stamping visa ?
My Question # 3 is: I am thinking to book my tickets for 1st week of July. Is this is enough time to get the visa in hand ?

Please advise all.

Thanks in advance.

Umer_Ali

Star Member
Apr 23, 2014
depends if you are from visa exempt country then you can come back without visa, otherwise you need visa and processing times are

New temporary resident visa
(For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY) 22 days
(Does not include document mailing time) April 9, 2015 13 days
(Does not include document mailing time) April 18, 2015

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Right now they are working on april 18 application and i guess if you send right away you may be good to go and can get visa in first week of july...

I remember one of my friend applied for visa and had booked flight already and was taking lot of time to get passport back so he sent them the ticket copy and then CIC did sent him stamped passport right away...

cecpet

Oct 14, 2014
Umer_Ali said:
depends if you are from visa exempt country then you can come back without visa, otherwise you need visa and processing times are

New temporary resident visa
(For valid Study or Work Permit holders ONLY) 22 days
(Does not include document mailing time) April 9, 2015 13 days
(Does not include document mailing time) April 18, 2015

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

Right now they are working on april 18 application and i guess if you send right away you may be good to go and can get visa in first week of july...

I remember one of my friend applied for visa and had booked flight already and was taking lot of time to get passport back so he sent them the ticket copy and then CIC did sent him stamped passport right away...
Thanks umer-ali for detailed answer. +1 for you. And no I am not from visa exempt country. I need to apply one.

cecpet

Oct 14, 2014
kkrr said:
My question # 1 is: Can I go back home and come back without new visa ? No , unless u r visa exempted countryMy question # 2 is : If I need to apply for visa how much time it will take to get the passport back after stamping visa ? depends current processing timeMy Question # 3 is: I am thinking to book my tickets for 1st week of July. Is this is enough time to get the visa in hand ? I think yes, because usually it will not take more than a month..
Thank you for reply KKR.

cec_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
what if I still have my visa valid because it was issued for PGWP but BOWP is recently issued? does it mean that pGWP is expired and I cant use valid visa?

nhixon

Star Member
Dec 4, 2014
cec_hopeful said:
what if I still have my visa valid because it was issued for PGWP but BOWP is recently issued? does it mean that pGWP is expired and I cant use valid visa?
Hi,

I believe if you have valid VISA, you should be good. Seniors please advise.

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
VISA is issued on base of a valid Work Permit, but it is not restricted with it. As long as you come back before the expiry day, then there is no worries. Keep in mind, that you must carry with you the (new) work permit , even if it won't harm to carry both of the work permits.
In case the officer notices the almost expired VISA date ( and he will :) ), him looking at the new Work Permit, will understand what is the situation.

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
cecpet said:
Thank you for reply KKR.
cecpet , when you send your passport over Canada Post. Remember to put signature stickers on both envelopes!!!
Looks like it became a habit for Canada Post to start loosing passports in their mail system.

cecpet

Oct 14, 2014
Tonimir said:
cecpet , when you send your passport over Canada Post. Remember to put signature stickers on both envelopes!!!
Looks like it became a habit for Canada Post to start loosing passports in their mail system.
Ho Tonimir,

Thanks for your advice really appreciated. But is it necessary to send the Passport to CIC via Canada Post can't we send through Fedex or UPS etc ?

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
cecpet said:
Ho Tonimir,

Thanks for your advice really appreciated. But is it necessary to send the Passport to CIC via Canada Post can't we send through Fedex or UPS etc ?
This is the sad part ... Sending can be with any courier. But the return envelope (which you have to include in your letter-sized envelope) , has to be Xpresspost , in case if you want the tracking system to be available for you.

In case if you don't include an CanadaPost XpressPost (or Priority) envelope as a return , CPC-Ottawa is gonna send your passport as a Regular Mail (no tracking system) via CanadaPost (Again :D) , so there is no escape plan.

That is why, I highly recommend everyone, to include the personal Signature Tag on your both envelopes, as this way would minimize the risk of CanadaPost losing the passport.

Also, remember to write your address very clear. Specially if you are in a condominium building , make sure all numbers are very clear.
Use the same format as you see it in your Driving License.

cecpet

Oct 14, 2014
Tonimir said:
This is the sad part ... Sending can be with any courier. But the return envelope (which you have to include in your letter-sized envelope) , has to be Xpresspost , in case if you want the tracking system to be available for you.

In case if you don't include an CanadaPost XpressPost (or Priority) envelope as a return , CPC-Ottawa is gonna send your passport as a Regular Mail (no tracking system) via CanadaPost (Again :D) , so there is no escape plan.

That is why, I highly recommend everyone, to include the personal Signature Tag on your both envelopes, as this way would minimize the risk of CanadaPost losing the passport.

Also, remember to write your address very clear. Specially if you are in a condominium building , make sure all numbers are very clear.
Use the same format as you see it in your Driving License.
Ok, you mention one things here which I am atleast not aware of it.

---> what is personal signature tag ? what we need to do for this ?
---> And address you mean on the other envelope ?

Sorry asking silly questions. because I want my all process to be in time. As I have booked my ticket for July 1st week.

Tonimir

Oct 6, 2014
Toronto
cecpet said:
Ok, you mention one things here which I am atleast not aware of it.

---> what is personal signature tag ? what we need to do for this ?
---> And address you mean on the other envelope ?

Sorry asking silly questions. because I want my all process to be in time. As I have booked my ticket for July 1st week.
I'll explain to you.

First, when you get your approval from CPC-OTTAWA for your VISA. You print the PDF document they gonna send you. It is a one letter paper.

So, in the email, they will ask you to send your passport (instructions will be clear in the email)
what you have to do is to get two CanadaPost XpressPost envelopes. One LETTER-sized. and One Regular-sizer (the smaller size of both)

So here you have 4 things:

1) The PDF letter from CPC that you have printed.
2) Your Passport
3) Regular XpressPost envelope.
4) Letter-sized XpressPost envelope.

The Letter-sized envelope,
on "FROM" you fill up your address (follow the same standard as your Driving License) and make sure your hand-writing is very very clear!
on "TO" write the address of CPC-OTTAWA. (I think it was an P.O BOX)

The Regular envelope,
on "FROM" section, you leave it empty. (CPC-OTTAWA will fill it up)
on "TO", you fill up your address. Same as Driving License, make sure it is very clear hand-writing.

Now, CanadaPost Signature Stickers (or Tags)
Here how the envelope looks like: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/images/business/barcodedprepaid.jpg

Notice the square tick icon on the bottom left? That is where you place the Signature Sticker. Every post office has to sell those stickers.
The idea of the sticker is to require The Person signature on delivery. Which means, the delivery has to be hand-to-hand with the person.

Therefore, you buy two stickers, one for each of the envelopes. You place the stickers on the envelopes.

---------------------

Once all that is done, you put the letter, passport and the Regular envelope (keep it open) inside the Letter-sized envelope and seal it. Give it to the Post Office and then you wait for your passport to come back.

Keep both tracking numbers, that they will give you with you all the time until you have your passport back!

If all the above is done, the risk of losing the passport by CanadaPost gets really to minimum. Good Luck! :)

---------------------

Regarding your TRV application form, check your personal message. I wrote you some notes. Thanks.

Reactions: SSGray

clark kent

Aug 27, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-07-2014
AOR Received.
04-09-2014
Med's Request
09-03-2015
Med's Done....
11-03-2015
Passport Req..
02-06-2015
LANDED..........
04-07-2015
Tonimir said:
I'll explain to you.

First, when you get your approval from CPC-OTTAWA for your VISA. You print the PDF document they gonna send you. It is a one letter paper.

So, in the email, they will ask you to send your passport (instructions will be clear in the email)
what you have to do is to get two CanadaPost XpressPost envelopes. One LETTER-sized. and One Regular-sizer (the smaller size of both)

2) Your Passport

on "FROM" you fill up your address (follow the same standard as your Driving License) and make sure your hand-writing is very very clear!

The Regular envelope,
on "TO", you fill up your address. Same as Driving License, make sure it is very clear hand-writing.

Here how the envelope looks like: https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/images/business/barcodedprepaid.jpg

Notice the square tick icon on the bottom left? That is where you place the Signature Sticker. Every post office has to sell those stickers.
The idea of the sticker is to require The Person signature on delivery. Which means, the delivery has to be hand-to-hand with the person.

Therefore, you buy two stickers, one for each of the envelopes. You place the stickers on the envelopes.

---------------------

Once all that is done, you put the letter, passport and the Regular envelope (keep it open) inside the Letter-sized envelope and seal it. Give it to the Post Office and then you wait for your passport to come back.

Keep both tracking numbers, that they will give you with you all the time until you have your passport back!

If all the above is done, the risk of losing the passport by CanadaPost gets really to minimum. Good Luck! :)
Now that's very useful information. +1 to you my friend.

cecpet

Oct 14, 2014
Tonimir said:
I'll explain to you.

2) Your Passport

The Regular envelope,

---------------------

---------------------

Regarding your TRV application form, check your personal message. I wrote you some notes. Thanks.
+1 from my side as well.. :)

I will ask you more questions when I will get that stage. :p

Thank you again for your time to write this big detailed informative comment.. ;)