+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got an email stating I opted for e certificate for citizenship although I asked for paper in the application

Rivad

Sep 3, 2023
Hey, I just got an email stating I opted for e certificate although I asked for paper in the application. What do I do?

Rivad

Sep 3, 2023

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
Thanks for the reply. My ceremony is next week and in no condition have I indicated that I need an e-certificate and this forum isn't providing any needed information. I wanna know if I should be reaching out and telling them about the certificate and/or reschedule the ceremony, thanks
Just get the e- certificate, you will receive it in 2-5 business days.
Why would you want to reschedule and possibly wait another 6-9 months?!

Rivad

Sep 3, 2023
Just get the e- certificate, you will receive it in 2-5 business days.
Why would you want to reschedule and possibly wait another 6-9 months?!
I read some articles where e-certificate was not yet recognized as a proof of citizenship and was thinking to get paper one instead but I don't want to reschedule my ceremony for another 6-9 months

Reactions: Ivandrea7

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
I read some articles where e-certificate was not yet recognized as a proof of citizenship and was thinking to get paper one instead but I don't want to reschedule my ceremony for another 6-9 months
That isn't true. You can use the E-Certificate to apply for your passport.

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
@Rivad
If the e-certificate bothers you too much, though I wouldn't recommend it, during the ceremony tell the clerk that you prefer paper and take it from there.

Reactions: Rivad

R17

Star Member
Oct 27, 2023
I applied via paper and noted on my application I'd like my certificate via paper, but I am open to an e-cert. I did receive the e-cert information email. My question is, if I applied on paper will the only thing in the account I would need to create be the e-cert? Are the online application and e-cert systems different? Thanks!

Calgary222

May 15, 2023
I applied via paper and noted on my application I'd like my certificate via paper, but I am open to an e-cert. I did receive the e-cert information email. My question is, if I applied on paper will the only thing in the account I would need to create be the e-cert? Are the online application and e-cert systems different? Thanks!
With the invitation Code given to you in the email, you need to create an account by going to
https://portal-portail.apps.cic.gc.ca/signup?lang=en
For your ceremony you enter the seat numbers seperated by commas.
Once your ceremony is done, you email back the oath forms, not more than 1MB, (signed in front of the clerk) to the same email address that they have sent you. The subject of the email should be according to the instructions of the pdf and your clerk will let you know their initials to add in the subject line. You can use 1 email to send more than 1 oath form but minors below 14 don't require their oath forms to be signed and emailed back to them.
Then you wait 2-5 business days and log on to the IRCC portal you created to download the certificate. Try every half hour during business hours so you don't get locked out of your account for 24 hours.
Doesn't matter if you applied by paper or online, you will have to follow the steps above in any case.

Last edited:
Reactions: R17