+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got a letter "In Canada Approval Letter"

Flutterbee

May 31, 2019
Hi guys,
So I am really confused. I came to Canada Dec 23, 2018. I am allowed to stay until June 23, 2019. on April 17th I applied for a visitor extension (record) until January 23, 2020. So 7 months.

I had a change in status today May 30th 2019, it said I was approved. It sent me a message saying "In Canada Approval Letter".
It read:
Your application to remain in Canada as a temporary resident has been approved. A secure
document has been mailed to you at the address that you provided when you made your
application. If you have not received your secure document within six weeks, contact IRCC .
Type: Permit-VR, Validity: 06/29/2019 and then the document number.
Below that says :
This letter is not valid for travel and is not a permit allowing you to remain in Canada.
Sincerely,
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada
**This is an automatically generated letter and does not require a signature.**
So does that mean they only approved me to stay for an extra 6 days? Do I have to leave Canada on that date? I don't understand. Please help!
I think you will be ok. Honestly, it appears to be a typo. I would not worry until you have this secure document they said that they are mailing to you. I’ve worked different levels in government in the states & know errors can be made and processes made more difficult than need be. You applied for a 7 month visitor visa. They would not waste their time giving you only a six day visa. My guess when you receive the official document, you will see your visa has been granted until January 29, 2020, perhaps?
Well wishes!

Reactions: Intianu and Eveslm

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Ok guys so I called and got a hold of someone. They said that I was approved only for 6 more days.. because I didn't show that I have ties to the states. Even though I said i have a daughter. She told me I can reapply or leave Canada on June 29th wait a day and then come back. I don't know what the best course of action is. I have copies of my ownership of my home and my daughters passport and social security card now to upload with the new application. I'm not sure what I should say now though. Since I am receiving a visitor record, do I reapply as a temporary resident? or do I reapply as a visitor still? I am willing to leave if I have to. I showed proof that my boyfriend is supporting me while i'm here. I just wanted to spend more time with him and visit Canada. We are supposed to be getting married in July and then I was going to go home after my visit and apply for residency. I really don't know what the best course of action is. I cant believe they would approve it for 6 days instead of saying I need to upload proof of ties to home country before approving or denying me.

Flutterbee

May 31, 2019
Wow! I never imagined they would approve only a 6 day extension. I am so sorry!
I think they are trying to weed out folks wanting to get out of the US for the sole reason of leaving the US. Start the sponsorship paperwork as soon as you can. Your fiancé will sponsor you and this can be done (and is recommended) at the same time you do your residency application. I honestly do not think you can apply as a permanent resident without having a tie to Canada, so your fiancé is it. You are not a resident, temporary or permanent, from what I understand based on what you wrote. You can certainly try again and apply as a visitor for the extension. But honestly? Cross the border and come back the next day. Much easier.
Once you get sponsorship approval, you will have the letter from Canada. I can only think this approval letter would allow you to get whatever extension you need as you are waiting on the residency approval and don’t want to cross back into the states.

Flutterbee

May 31, 2019
Ok guys so I called and got a hold of someone. They said that I was approved only for 6 more days.. because I didn't show that I have ties to the states. Even though I said i have a daughter. She told me I can reapply or leave Canada on June 29th wait a day and then come back. I don't know what the best course of action is. I have copies of my ownership of my home and my daughters passport and social security card now to upload with the new application. I'm not sure what I should say now though. Since I am receiving a visitor record, do I reapply as a temporary resident? or do I reapply as a visitor still? I am willing to leave if I have to. I showed proof that my boyfriend is supporting me while i'm here. I just wanted to spend more time with him and visit Canada. We are supposed to be getting married in July and then I was going to go home after my visit and apply for residency. I really don't know what the best course of action is. I cant believe they would approve it for 6 days instead of saying I need to upload proof of ties to home country before approving or denying me.
Congratulations are in order! How wonderful about your upcoming marriage.

After I typed my first response, I realized I forgot to mention something. Apply for your FBI clearance letter right away. You will have to get fingerprints done & photos (like your passport photo) and submit this along with completing their application, which if I recall correctly, is only 1 page. The reason I cannot stress getting this done right away enough is I think took FOUR months to get basically a letter back from them confirming you are not a criminal. This letter will be sent in with your permanent resident application.

Best wishes.

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Wow! I never imagined they would approve only a 6 day extension. I am so sorry!
I think they are trying to weed out folks wanting to get out of the US for the sole reason of leaving the US. Start the sponsorship paperwork as soon as you can. Your fiancé will sponsor you and this can be done (and is recommended) at the same time you do your residency application. I honestly do not think you can apply as a permanent resident without having a tie to Canada, so your fiancé is it. You are not a resident, temporary or permanent, from what I understand based on what you wrote. You can certainly try again and apply as a visitor for the extension. But honestly? Cross the border and come back the next day. Much easier.
Once you get sponsorship approval, you will have the letter from Canada. I can only think this approval letter would allow you to get whatever extension you need as you are waiting on the residency approval and don’t want to cross back into the states.
Since im supposed to leave before when im supposed to get married.. Does that mean to try and come back? I was going to apply for sponsorship,residency, and a work permit all at the same time. If i cant even be here to get married then how will I know when I can come back if I cross the border? If i reapply for a visitor extension should I say I want to spend more time with him, see more places in Canada, and that we are havign a wedding in July? or does saying I plan on getting married in July show them that I dont plan on going back even though I do?

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Since im supposed to leave before when im supposed to get married.. Does that mean to try and come back? I was going to apply for sponsorship,residency, and a work permit all at the same time. If i cant even be here to get married then how will I know when I can come back if I cross the border? If i reapply for a visitor extension should I say I want to spend more time with him, see more places in Canada, and that we are havign a wedding in July? or does saying I plan on getting married in July show them that I dont plan on going back even though I do?
I think the most important thing is to show that you intend to go back home and explain your ties to the US (is your daughter a minor? or is she dependent on you? Just make sure your application is stronger and shows you intend to leave Canada. You can opt to leave and come back, you might get another 6 months or you might be denied entry :(or given another 6 days nobody knows.

Flutterbee

May 31, 2019

I would not tell them you are getting married at this point. It is not about withholding information or lying, it simply makes no difference. The sponsorship/permanent residency application makes no distinction whether you are married or not. They may look slightly more in favor of your application but unfortunately it is the same timeframe, about one year. This means once you submit your application, you will expect to wait about a year for the full approval. We applied in August 2018 after my partner and I were together nearly 2 years. We applied under family sponsorship - conjugal. We had to document extensively proof that we were in this relationship for at least one year. This was submitting emails sent to each other, text messages, dates of visits, photos and 3 letters from those familiar with us about the verity and seriousness of our relationship. All of this went with the application. We received sponsorship approval from Canada in March 2019, seven months after applying. Since my partner lives in Quebec, we then had to apply to Quebec. We received sponsorship in May 2019. I am still waiting on the documents requesting me for the mandatory medical exam. Then it may take an additional 90 days for them to review the exam and provide final approval.

I am not certain about your situation. These forums can only truly be helpful if you provide details of your situation. Of course, we are not talking about birth dates, names, etc. (Trying to keep this light. I know firsthand how stressful it can be). You mention you have a daughter and house back in the states. The Canadian government sees your situation perhaps as a red-flag, hence, only approving your extension by 6 days. They know you can walk away from a house and certainly and sadly, from a child. They see ties as a job, as a primary caretaker, etc. The assumption here is that your daughter is older and on her own. Regardless of her age, you will be providing her details and she will also need to possibly undergo a medical exam as well. In your permanent residency application, you will list any siblings, living parents, ex spouses, common law partners and children. They do this because once you become a resident, you can sponsor any of them (except for your exes, of course! Lol)

Cross the border and don’t panic. When you come back the next day right before your marriage, just say you are visiting with your boyfriend for a few days. Voilà! You are in.

I sense anxiety and frustration in your posts. I understand. Completely. But I would advise applying for all 3 — work permit, sponsorship and permanent residency. Unless you are a highly skilled worker, there is little chance this will get approved. The fees for sponsorship approval for Canada and Quebec, along with permanent residency of Canada, came to well over $1,000. And the paperwork! There is a lot!

Our personal situation led us to postpone our marriage. We have nearly been together now 3 years...that’s 3 years of only seeing each other every 45-60 days, talking on Skype every night, etc. So I understand the frustration. Do what is best for you. If this causes even more stress, then simply postpone your wedding. Remember, once you cross the border, you get another 6 months. So cross it tomorrow and you will be good for another 6 months, and can relax up to the day you get married.

I don’t want to get you muddled all up in the details, but it is information that helps and certainly would have helped me when I applied last year.

Best wishes.

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
Is there a form I need to fill out when extending my stay as a visitor to enter information about my mother, daughter etc? The online application is just 6 pages about me, why im here, how long i want to stay and my education/work experience. It doesnt say anything about my daughter or about any property I own. The next few columns say to upload a current picture, scan and upload my passport and when I entered on it, upload proof of financial income that I can support myself while im here (though I put again that my fiancee is supporting my stay and all of his info) and then a column that says client info to write a letter or something. Last time I used it stating why I wanted to prolong my stay. I dont see any form or spot that has to do with family or where I can enter that I have a home back in the states to show proof of ties to the US.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The client info upload slot - where you include a letter - is also where you include information about your family.

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
No form...you just explain your purpose, intent to leave Canada, ties back home etc in your letter of explanation. At least that is what I did
How should i word my ties back home. Just say i have a daughter shes 10 i included a copy of her birth certificate and passport. I also own a home here is a copy of the deed to my house?
The original letter I wrote that I was there visiting my boyfriend and visiting Manitoba. I wrote down a list of the different things I wanted to see each month up until October. That I wanted to spend more time getting to know his family and that they approved of me visiting. I said that he is paying all my expenses until I leave and the date I wanted to stay until.
I dont know exactly what else to write?

b4evergrace

Star Member
May 31, 2019
I would not tell them you are getting married at this point. It is not about withholding information or lying, it simply makes no difference. The sponsorship/permanent residency application makes no distinction whether you are married or not. They may look slightly more in favor of your application but unfortunately it is the same timeframe, about one year. This means once you submit your application, you will expect to wait about a year for the full approval. We applied in August 2018 after my partner and I were together nearly 2 years. We applied under family sponsorship - conjugal. We had to document extensively proof that we were in this relationship for at least one year. This was submitting emails sent to each other, text messages, dates of visits, photos and 3 letters from those familiar with us about the verity and seriousness of our relationship. All of this went with the application. We received sponsorship approval from Canada in March 2019, seven months after applying. Since my partner lives in Quebec, we then had to apply to Quebec. We received sponsorship in May 2019. I am still waiting on the documents requesting me for the mandatory medical exam. Then it may take an additional 90 days for them to review the exam and provide final approval.

I am not certain about your situation. These forums can only truly be helpful if you provide details of your situation. Of course, we are not talking about birth dates, names, etc. (Trying to keep this light. I know firsthand how stressful it can be). You mention you have a daughter and house back in the states. The Canadian government sees your situation perhaps as a red-flag, hence, only approving your extension by 6 days. They know you can walk away from a house and certainly and sadly, from a child. They see ties as a job, as a primary caretaker, etc. The assumption here is that your daughter is older and on her own. Regardless of her age, you will be providing her details and she will also need to possibly undergo a medical exam as well. In your permanent residency application, you will list any siblings, living parents, ex spouses, common law partners and children. They do this because once you become a resident, you can sponsor any of them (except for your exes, of course! Lol)

Cross the border and don’t panic. When you come back the next day right before your marriage, just say you are visiting with your boyfriend for a few days. Voilà! You are in.

I sense anxiety and frustration in your posts. I understand. Completely. But I would advise applying for all 3 — work permit, sponsorship and permanent residency. Unless you are a highly skilled worker, there is little chance this will get approved. The fees for sponsorship approval for Canada and Quebec, along with permanent residency of Canada, came to well over $1,000. And the paperwork! There is a lot!

Our personal situation led us to postpone our marriage. We have nearly been together now 3 years...that’s 3 years of only seeing each other every 45-60 days, talking on Skype every night, etc. So I understand the frustration. Do what is best for you. If this causes even more stress, then simply postpone your wedding. Remember, once you cross the border, you get another 6 months. So cross it tomorrow and you will be good for another 6 months, and can relax up to the day you get married.

I don’t want to get you muddled all up in the details, but it is information that helps and certainly would have helped me when I applied last year.

Best wishes.
Hey, I was wondering if I could private message you? I have a few questions and I think you can help me regarding PR