+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got 44(1) upon entry into Canada

May 22, 2024
Hello,
I got my PR in May 2019. The card is valid until may 25, 2024.
I lived in the US all along and only spent less than 10 days in Canada.
Finally yesterday May 21, 2024 I packed up all my stuff and left US to move to Canada.

I drove by car with my 2 year old daughter who is a US citizen.

The officer said that I had not met the 2 year requirement in Canada. So he will write me up and I will get a letter in mail at the US address. Then he suggested me to wait 15 mins and gave me the letter in hand. Made me sign two copies of the letter . He kept one copy

The letter is form 44(1) in which he has suggested to revoke my permanent residency to the minister of immigration

I am in Canada now and not sure what to do. My plan was to spend two years here and then renew my PR card. But now with 44(1) written up, I am not sure what my options are. And what are my chances of retaining my PR status.

1. Has anyone faced similar situation? What do you suggest?

2. I am in Ottawa. Can anyone suggest a good attorney ?

Thank you in advance

Reactions: axelfoley

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,
Finally yesterday May 21, 2024 I packed up all my stuff and left US to move to Canada.

The officer said that I had not met the 2 year requirement in Canada. So he will write me up and I will get a letter in mail at the US address. Then he suggested me to wait 15 mins and gave me the letter in hand. Made me sign two copies of the letter . He kept one copy

The letter is form 44(1) in which he has suggested to revoke my permanent residency to the minister of immigration

I am in Canada now and not sure what to do. My plan was to spend two years here and then renew my PR card. But now with 44(1) written up, I am not sure what my options are. And what are my chances of retaining my PR status.

Thank you in advance
You really need to post this to the Permanent Residency Obligation section of the forum. You will get the best responses there. Hiring a lawyer is definitely a good idea at this point. You haven't said what your H&C reasons are for failing to meet RO so very difficult to comment on your chances for keeping PR.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

Thank you in advance
Why did you wait literally to the very last minute to decide to come to Canada ?

Was your H1B expiring ?

May 22, 2024
Initially it was Covid and later I was about to have a baby who is two year old now. I visited Canada twice for job interviews but did not get those jobs. Did not want to quit job in US before getting one in Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Initially it was Covid and later I was about to have a baby who is two year old now. I visited Canada twice for job interviews but did not get those jobs. Did not want to quit job in US before getting one in Canada
Definitely hire a lawyer. You'll want to take out private medical insurance to cover your child in case of an emergency since the child most likely won't be covered under the provincial program. You cannot submit an application to sponsor your child for PR until you are able to successfully resolve your own PR status.