+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goodbye to the Canadian dream

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
A.B.123 said:
yeah, you might be right cause to qualify for pnp in my province, an employer should be a company with a minimum of 3 full time employees. Anyways, looks like neither pnp nor lmia is an option for me in this situation, I can only hope they'll have a specific CEC draw in the near future and I'll get an invitation. Otherwise, it's time to go home.
for Quebec u need to know french. no chance for me to get PNP and company wont apply for LMIA I am basically screwed. just have to be in express entry line for ever

unclesamy

Star Member
May 11, 2013
i am thinking of starting a petition can someone with good english proficiency help me with explaining the whole issue and our concerns?

chem_dude

Jan 31, 2015
I am just wrapping my PhD up, so maybe this is a sign for me to not depend on Canada for my future. These particular changes seem to actively discourage qualified people with doctoral degrees from CANADIAN UNIVERSITIES from contributing to the work-force. Well-done, Canada.

alekseyk

Dec 24, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Toronto
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys,

I have a quite urgent situation:

I have finished my one year post-graduate program on December 2013, right after that, I found a full-time permanent job that was advertised on regular indeed website and got hired on January 27th. Because of my placement I have applied for my PGWP, and it was issued exactly for one year, Expiration day is February 12th 2015...I did everything what required to do in order to get your PR card under CEC class.

I was able to apply to Express Entry under CEC exactly on January 27th, 2015. My employer cannot process LMIA because of difficulties mentioned before in the threat and they are not going to apply for PNP for me.
At the time when I applied for PR, Express Entry system gave me 447 points...

My question: Does anybody know, how can I extend my stay/work permit in Canada on legal rights?

Any help will be much appreciated!

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
alekseyk said:
Hey guys,

I have a quite urgent situation:

I have finished my one year post-graduate program on December 2013, right after that, I found a full-time permanent job that was advertised on regular indeed website and got hired on January 27th. Because of my placement I have applied for my PGWP, and it was issued exactly for one year, Expiration day is February 12th 2015...I did everything what required to do in order to get your PR card under CEC class.

I was able to apply to Express Entry under CEC exactly on January 27th, 2015. My employer cannot process LMIA because of difficulties mentioned before in the threat and they are not going to apply for PNP for me.
At the time when I applied for PR, Express Entry system gave me 447 points...

My question: Does anybody know, how can I extend my stay/work permit in Canada on legal rights?

Any help will be much appreciated!
Looks like you're in the same boat with us but your situation is even worse cause you wp expires in 2 weeks. To be able to apply for bridging work permit, you have to get ITA (invitation to application), gather all documents required by CIC, submit them, get an approval from CIC that they got all your papers. And only after you've gotten that approval, you're eligible to apply for bridging work permit. Otherwise, you should either leave Canada before your wp expires or apply for a tourist visa and stay longer but that won't help you to extend your wp.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
unclesamy said:
for Quebec u need to know french. no chance for me to get PNP and company wont apply for LMIA I am basically screwed. just have to be in express entry line for ever
If some one is actually living in Quebec and plan to live there too i.e. intending to mention Quebec as his / her future place to live, then none of above applies. EE or other programs are non Quebec so technically it does not apply there and still the old Quebec based programs are still applicable.

The Regular skilled worker one in which CSQ takes a long time does not require on paper for french to be a requirement, though actually getting through it with minimum french is on a case to case basis. Still that is worth a shot.

I am NOT talking about PEQ program (Quebec's main immigration program) which requires advanced intermediate french proficiency exam. Rather i am referring to Regular skilled worker program for PR.

SergiiK

Star Member
Dec 18, 2014
IMHO: government will be making a lot of unannounced/announced adjustments to the program according to their needs/economical/political situation in the country.
For example they can stop issuing ITA for those who have less than 900 and start giving ITA to those 400+.
I will explain. Let's take this scenario:
45 years cook (Noc B) without education, low ielts, etc. but with lmia has 890 points - gets ITA - brings his wife and two kids and immediately starts getting benefits (health card, kids' financial support, etc) for the whole family. Does it help to boost economy? You don't have to be financial guru to answer: no way, he will be milking the economy. So looking ahead and taking into consideration that the main point of the program is to bring skilled, educated, qualified people to the country will make them to reconsider the real value of points.

A.B.123

Star Member
Jan 15, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SergiiK said:
IMHO: government will be making a lot of unannounced/unnounced adjustments to the program according to their needs/economical/political situation in the country.
For example they can stop issuing ITA for those who have less than 900 and start giving ITA to those 400+.
I will explain. Let's take this scenario:
45 years cook (Noc B) without education, low ielts, etc. but with lmia has 890 points - gets ITA - brings his wife and two kids and immediately starts getting benefits (health card, kids' financial support, etc) for the whole family. Does it help to boost economy? You don't have to be financial guru to answer: no way, he will be milking the economy. So looking ahead and taking into consideration that the main point of the program is to bring skilled, educated, qualified people to the country will make them to reconsider the real value of points.
hmm, this is speculations only, "maybe yes or maybe no", how many people will have to leave their jobs and go home cause their wp have expired and they can't extend it while CIC decides on which adjustment to implement?

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
fkl said:
The LMIA you are talking about (issued in 10 days) are those that are issued AFTER getting ITAs at which point the score is irrelevant. Those are LMIA's obtained for people already at some advanced stage of EE.

Read through LMIA experiences all over Canada on this same forum for the last few months. Highly skilled positions are taking more than 3 months. Average is close to six months and there are lots of refusals.

The one very small percentage of expedited LMIA's for positions in urgent needs have much tighter requirements. Very high wages (above 50 CAD per hour or higher) among others.
Errr where did you get the idea that 10-day free LMIAs were for people who already had ITAs?...

They are designed for employers to quickly obtain an LMIA in order to support an employees EE profile with an additional 600 points, at the cost of not being usable to obtain a TWP.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
doubleym said:
Errr where did you get the idea that 10-day free LMIAs were for people who already had ITAs?...

They are designed for employers to quickly obtain an LMIA in order to support an employees EE profile with an additional 600 points, at the cost of not being usable to obtain a TWP.
It's written in the EE steps to apply / presentation every where. The LMIA won't have any fee. That can only be applied for when you have an EE candidate in process. Otherwise how can CIC distinguish if this is LMIA for temp worker vs LMIA for a PR candidate.

Where did you get the idea that the LMIA for EE support gives additional 600 points and takes 10 days? I have seen pretty much every statement of CIC about EE and no where was time frame mentioned for LMIA. Also it was clearly indicated that faster LMIAs are for the job bank candidates who DO NOT HAVE job offers at the time of EE profile submission.

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is anyone eligible for a non-LMIA open work permit, just in case if their current work permits are expiring, as an option to extend their stays in Canada whilst waiting to get an ITA via EE? Should be an option to consider if your country has an FTA with Canada.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
A friend referred me to this thread which is a discussion on EE in the parliament. It might be very interesting to many people although it occurred around dec.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/HousePublications/Publication.aspx?DocId=6817204&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=41&Ses=2

Immed

Jan 16, 2015
I see a lot of people who have PGWP expiring soon and are very worried. I think this is when you should actually approach an immigration consultant, I've seen a few who offer limited free consultation and they could at least steer you in the right direction.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Immed said:
I see a lot of people who have PGWP expiring soon and are very worried. I think this is when you should actually approach an immigration consultant, I've seen a few who offer limited free consultation and they could at least steer you in the right direction.
People here usually don't suggest hiring immigration consultants and lawyers, as many have horror story dealing with them. At the end of the day, it is individual's decision whether to drop money on some advice.

pziegler1986 said:
Is anyone eligible for a non-LMIA open work permit, just in case if their current work permits are expiring, as an option to extend their stays in Canada whilst waiting to get an ITA via EE? Should be an option to consider if your country has an FTA with Canada.
BOWP only works after a full application is submitted and AOR issued, meaning s/he must have an ITA before that. Just being in the pool doesn't allow one to get OWP

For PGWP, the only way to extend work permit is to apply LMIA