+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Canada in two weeks time. What are my options?

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
I am short of RO by 12 months. I will be flying to Toronto from the US in June 2022. My PR card has an expiry of June 2023, it still has 1 year left on expiry.

As a understand, I may or may not be reported at for RO non-compliance by CBSA officers.

If I'm not reported, I intend to permanently stay in Canada for atleast 3 years.

If they choose to report me, I want to return to US immediately, by next available flight.

Now my questions are,

1. How will I know if I'm reported? Do the CBSA officers hand a paper or something?
2. What is the form 44 that some people here mentioned receiving at the POE? Is it the same as being reported?
3. Can I choose to NOT enter Canada and return to US from the next available flight, if I am reported? If yes, do I have to give up my PR status immediately at the airport?
4. Will it help to show the CBSA officers if I have a long term lease signed before entering? To show my intent of moving permanently?
5. What other documents can I show to the CBSA officers to maybe show leniency towards me and not report?
6. What happens in a secondary inspection? What kind of questions are asked there?

My background - I was in Canada for a month last year in 2021 but had to go back to India when covid hit hard there. I couldn't afford to leave my job in the US and move to Canada as there was a lot of uncertainty in India (where my parents live) and Canada was also in lock downs, and I was low on funds, did not have financial backup to support myself to stay without a job. This is the reasoning I can give to CBSA officers if asked why I'm not meeting RO.

I appreciate any help. Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I am short of RO by 12 months. I will be flying to Toronto from the US in June 2022. My PR card has an expiry of June 2023, it still has 1 year left on expiry.

As a understand, I may or may not be reported at for RO non-compliance by CBSA officers.

If I'm not reported, I intend to permanently stay in Canada for atleast 3 years.

If they choose to report me, I want to return to US immediately, by next available flight.

Now my questions are,

1. How will I know if I'm reported? Do the CBSA officers hand a paper or something?
2. What is the form 44 that some people here mentioned receiving at the POE? Is it the same as being reported?
3. Can I choose to NOT enter Canada and return to US from the next available flight, if I am reported? If yes, do I have to give up my PR status immediately at the airport?
4. Will it help to show the CBSA officers if I have a long term lease signed before entering? To show my intent of moving permanently?
5. What other documents can I show to the CBSA officers to maybe show leniency towards me and not report?
6. What happens in a secondary inspection? What kind of questions are asked there?

My background - I was in Canada for a month last year in 2021 but had to go back to India when covid hit hard there. I couldn't afford to leave my job in the US and move to Canada as there was a lot of uncertainty in India (where my parents live) and Canada was also in lock downs, and I was low on funds, did not have financial backup to support myself to stay without a job. This is the reasoning I can give to CBSA officers if asked why I'm not meeting RO.

I appreciate any help. Thank you!
You're very unlikely to be reported if you are only 12 days short.

1) Yes, they will give you paperwork.
2) Yes.
3) I'm not really sure how that would work. I guess you would tell CBSA you no longer want to enter Canada and then you would need to book a flight at your own expense to return immediately. No, you won't give up your PR status immediately at the airport.
4) Yes
5) Job is probably the biggest thing to show ties
6) More detailed questions about your residency requirement

rollercoaster

Star Member
Jan 24, 2016
You're very unlikely to be reported if you are only 12 days short.

1) Yes, they will give you paperwork.
2) Yes.
3) I'm not really sure how that would work. I guess you would tell CBSA you no longer want to enter Canada and then you would need to book a flight at your own expense to return immediately. No, you won't give up your PR status immediately at the airport.
4) Yes
5) Job is probably the biggest thing to show ties
6) More detailed questions about your residency requirement
Thank you for your prompt response. But I'm short by 12 months, not 12 days. What is your take on the probability of being reported? Thank you!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your prompt response. But I'm short by 12 months, not 12 days. What is your take on the probability of being reported? Thank you!
Sorry - I clearly haven't had enough coffee yet. No one can tell you the probability. That's impossible to say.

Reactions: dpenabill