+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Canada after being denied Green card from the U.S

HH1234

Jul 5, 2022
Hi guys,

I am F-1 student in the U.S, graduated last year as an engineer and has been working on OPT since then.

I am interested to go to Canada for my MBA, however, few years ago I was denied Green card base on sham marriage from the U.S during school, I managed to finish school and got work permit and work till now.

Would this green card denial prevent me from coming to Canada?

Thank you!

HH1234

Jul 5, 2022
It could play a factor, it may not. You must declare the green card denial (and other rejected visas and entries) truthfully in your application. Failure to do so will result in a 5-year ban from Canada.
Thanks for the reply, would my chance of receiving a visa improved if I contact a lawyer?
Thanks again!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thanks for the reply, would my chance of receiving a visa improved if I contact a lawyer?
Thanks again!
No . The lawyer won’t be making the decision whether or not a visa is approved. It’ll be based upon the information given in said application , and the officer will make the decision. That’s why it’s important you have to be truthful in declaring all visa refusals etc on your application. Canada has access to your immigration history in the United States , and if you don’t declare your refusals you’ve then misrepresented your situation and possibly end up with a five year ban. If you choose to get a lawyer that’s up too you . Just by virtue of getting one , doesn’t improve your chances. It won’t sway their decision, it will cost you $$$$ though

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/protect-fraud/document-misrepresentation.html#:~:text=If you lie on an,we'll refuse your application.

Last edited:
Reactions: bellaluna

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks again!
No the fact that you aren’t in your home country and will have difficulty showing you will return to your home country after your studies will make approval more challenging. The fact that you have attempted to remain in the US permanently indicates a high likelihood that you don’t want to return to your home country. Would stick to MBA programs with good reputations to better your chances of approval.

Reactions: bellaluna