+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going on vacation... request to change Citizenship ceremony date denied

mark_k

Aug 8, 2010
My wife is Brazilian and we have gone through all the steps of having her become a Canadian citizen with the exception of the oath ceremony. The date that was provided for her Canadian citizenship ceremony falls during a time when we will be in Brazil on vacation. We bought non-refundable tickets to Brazil back in June and our vacation is planned for four months Dec to March. When I was just recently notified of the ceremony date being scheduled for the end of December I promptly advised them that my wife and I would be out of country then on vacation and asked if they could move the date to some time after our return. The request was denied for undisclosed reasons (even after providing proof of purchase of flights). I believe that it has something to do with the extended vacation time. According to this immigration web page http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5 there is no mention of any maximum time out of country as long as my wife retains her PR status (no problems). I'm not sure what to do at this point or what will happen when she misses the ceremony. Can anybody offer any advice? Thanks.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Rebook those non-refundable flights. It’s just money you’ll be losing. You don’t want to lose the time your wife earned to apply for citizenship.

I read of a case similar to your wife’s. Her citizenship application was ultimately denied because she chose a vacation instead of her citizenship ceremony. I believe she’s trying to appeal with a lawyer but I doubt she’ll win.

Easy to see this from IRCC’s perspective...why can’t you spare a few weeks’ or days’ difference from a four month long vacation?

Last edited:

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
The government gives a monkeys behind whether or not you go on vacation. They won't move any dates..follow the advise given by others. It sure is worth more than some money. Or you wait for whatever lenght of time to get a new invite..

mark_k

Aug 8, 2010
Rebook those non-refundable flights. It’s just money you’ll be losing. You don’t want to lose the time your wife earned to apply for citizenship.

I read of a case similar to your wife’s. Her citizenship application was ultimately denied because she chose a vacation instead of her citizenship ceremony. I believe she’s trying to appeal with a lawyer but I doubt she’ll win.

Easy to see this from IRCC’s perspective...why can’t you spare a few weeks’ or days’ difference from a four month long vacation?
Thanks for the feedback. From my perspective I'd be losing about $2000 for the flights compared to $530 for having my wife apply again. We're in no particular rush to have her get her citizenship since I am Canadian and she has her PR which is good for almost another 5 years. I am wondering if immigration Canada has to offer a second date if the first citizenship oath appointment is missed?

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. From my perspective I'd be losing about $2000 for the flights compared to $530 for having my wife apply again. We're in no particular rush to have her get her citizenship since I am Canadian and she has her PR which is good for almost another 5 years. I am wondering if immigration Canada has to offer a second date if the first citizenship oath appointment is missed?
I’m honestly not sure if it will be as simple as making a second citizenship application, as I only know about the case I just cited. Someone else can comment if it’s possible.

I still personally believe it’s easier to negotiate with a commercial airline than with IRCC. Have you done the other option—have you tried contacting the airline to ask how they could help given your wife’s scheduled citizenship ceremony?

Edited to add: Here is the case I was talking about. I was mistaken initially. The applicant missed her ceremony because she was pregnant and IRCC denied a reschedule. I’m not entirely sure why a second application wasn’t an option for her: https://www.pinoyexchange.com/discussion/863044/please-help-me-in-my-fight-to-be-a-canadian-citizen

Last edited:

mark_k

Aug 8, 2010
Thanks for the link. I see that case as being considerably different. She basically just decided not to go to the ceremony. I had purchased my non-refundable and non-changeable flights on Expedia months before being given the ceremony date and as published on the CIC web site they indicate one is allowed to go out of country after mailing in the citizenship application... so I'm not sure why they are denying moving the date. I'm wondering if it would be worth contacting my member of parliament if things don't go well in receiving another ceremony date?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I’m honestly not sure if it will be as simple as making a second citizenship application, as I only know about the case I just cited. Someone else can comment if it’s possible.

I still personally believe it’s easier to negotiate with a commercial airline than with IRCC. Have you done the other option—have you tried contacting the airline to ask how they could help given your wife’s scheduled citizenship ceremony?

Edited to add: Here is the case I was talking about. I was mistaken initially. The applicant missed her ceremony because she was pregnant and IRCC denied a reschedule. I’m not entirely sure why a second application wasn’t an option for her: https://www.pinoyexchange.com/discussion/863044/please-help-me-in-my-fight-to-be-a-canadian-citizen
Interesting to note that the comments on that post are almost 100% negative and lay the blame on the applicant, rather than CIC/IRCC.

Here's an idea... Fly back to Canada for the Oath ceremony and then carry on with the "vacation", remembering of course that a Canadian passport will be required for the return flight to Canada after becoming a Canadian citizen. If only one person is returning for the Oath, it cuts the cost.

Reactions: Bryanna