+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Giving birth and Medicare coverage before waiting period ends

ZAIRIYASSER

Jun 25, 2019
Dear all,

My wife and i are planning to go to Moncton - new brunswick on the 1st of August this year, as permanent residents.

My wife's due date is around 25th of September, which means the waiting period of 3 months will still on.

Our visa will end on December 2019, and we cannot travel after the birth with a 3 months old baby, too risky.

i don't know what to do, Please can you give me any advice

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,

My wife and i are planning to go to Moncton - new brunswick on the 1st of August this year, as permanent residents.

My wife's due date is around 25th of September, which means the waiting period of 3 months will still on.

Our visa will end on December 2019, and we cannot travel after the birth with a 3 months old baby, too risky.

i don't know what to do, Please can you give me any advice
You can travel with a 3 month old. Travelling with a heavily pregnant woman is equally risky. Adding your newborn to your application should delay things a bit so you will probably get to leave later than December 2019. If not you will have to be prepared to pay for a delivery in Canada. Not exactly sure of costs in NB but it will be 5-10K for an uncomplicated delivery with or without epidural. More for a c-section. You have to pay for any doctors visits and tests up to the delivery plus and complications will obviously cost more.

ZAIRIYASSER

Jun 25, 2019
You can travel with a 3 month old. Travelling with a heavily pregnant woman is equally risky. Adding your newborn to your application should delay things a bit so you will probably get to leave later than December 2019. If not you will have to be prepared to pay for a delivery in Canada. Not exactly sure of costs in NB but it will be 5-10K for an uncomplicated delivery with or without epidural. More for a c-section. You have to pay for any doctors visits and tests up to the delivery plus and complications will obviously cost more.
Thank you for your response.
I just talked to gnb.ca contacts, and they told me that eligibility from the first day is studied case by case after presenting the required documents of course.

I'm confused, some say yes some say no, and frankly, i don't know why for such urgent needs like giving birth are not covered for newcomers. paying such a large sum of money upon arrival will cause you more problems that it will solve.

Is there anyone who have been through this ?

PS: traveling on the 7th month of pregnancy is not risky as traveling with a 3 month old baby, besides, our visa will end in December.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response.
I just talked to gnb.ca contacts, and they told me that eligibility from the first day is studied case by case after presenting the required documents of course.

I'm confused, some say yes some say no, and frankly, i don't know why for such urgent needs like giving birth are not covered for newcomers. paying such a large sum of money upon arrival will cause you more problems that it will solve.

Is there anyone who have been through this ?

PS: traveling on the 7th month of pregnancy is not risky as traveling with a 3 month old baby, besides, our visa will end in December.
Your wife will be 34 weeks pregnant. Many women go into preterm labour and you are likely taking a 10+ hour flight.. At 36 weeks there are many women who go into labour and most airlines will not allow you to fly.

Why do most Canadian provinces not cover medical expenses and labour upon landing or return to Canada? Unfortunately some people would land and use medical services and leave even though they are not entitled to receive medical services if they don’t remain in a province for 6 months. Most provinces want people to be permanently settled in their province and hopefully working before they have access to healthcare. I would also read about the residency requirements to receive healthcare just in case you don’t plan on living in NB long term or you could be ask to pay back money as well.

You basically have to make a choice to pay for medical care if needed or come when your child is 3+ months. Unfortunately when applying for immigration and choosing to get pregnant at the same time there can be tough choices.

Reactions: mad_hatter