+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting study permit while being pregnant

FatimaAli333

Nov 7, 2019
Hello everyone. I am new here and after searching the internet and this forum, I still have some questions regarding study permit. First, let me share my profile with you.
I have an acceptance letter from a Canadian University.
I got married in June 2019 and moved to Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I recently got to know that I am pregnant and I am due in June 2020

My course will commence on the 1st of September, 2020. I want to apply for the study permit along with my husband's Open Work Permit. So following are my questions;
  1. Can I apply for the study permit while being pregnant? (I know about the medical exam and all - That's why I need your advice if I will get the study permit or not)
  2. If I apply for the study permit after my delivery then there are only two months to gather the documents for the baby (Mind you that I am currently living in KSA, therefore, I need to apply for the Paki passport first and then for the Saudi Iqama for the baby - Two different sets of documents - I can't do them simultaneously)
  3. Now come to my last question - Let's say, I get the visa - so can I travel before my baby is due and deliver in Canada?
What are other options? Please, advice me as I can't find the answers anywhere.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello everyone. I am new here and after searching the internet and this forum, I still have some questions regarding study permit. First, let me share my profile with you.
I got married in June 2019 and moved to Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. I recently got to know that I am pregnant and I am due in June 2020

My course will commence on the 1st of September, 2020. I want to apply for the study permit along with my husband's Open Work Permit. So following are my questions;
  1. Can I apply for the study permit while being pregnant? (I know about the medical exam and all - That's why I need your advice if I will get the study permit or not)
  2. If I apply for the study permit after my delivery then there are only two months to gather the documents for the baby (Mind you that I am currently living in KSA, therefore, I need to apply for the Paki passport first and then for the Saudi Iqama for the baby - Two different sets of documents - I can't do them simultaneously)
  3. Now come to my last question - Let's say, I get the visa - so can I travel before my baby is due and deliver in Canada?
Realistically, for a couple of reasons, option 3 is not really viable. Firstly, trying to enter Canada on a study permit so long before the start of the course, in order to be able to travel while pregnant, is likely to result in the CBSA bouncing you and asking you to return nearer the time of the course.
Secondly, the potential costs to you if there are problems with the birth or the child, could be astronomical. Certainly up into 6 figures and we have seen cases as high as 7 figures. It's not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Reactions: k.h.p.

FatimaAli333

Nov 7, 2019
Your intent is obviously to deliver the baby in Canada.
Did I say anywhere in my post that my intention is to get the nationality or deliver the baby FOR THAT INTENTION?

Kindly avoid replying to the posts if you don't want to help or don't know the answers.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Did I say anywhere in my post that my intention is to get the nationality or deliver the baby FOR THAT INTENTION?

Kindly avoid replying to the posts if you don't want to help or don't know the answers.
I didn't say anything about nationality - you did. And I have answers for you but it requires a truthful approach to asking the questions.

FatimaAli333

Nov 7, 2019
Realistically, for a couple of reasons, option 3 is not really viable. Firstly, trying to find enter Canada on a study permit so long before the start of the course, in order to be able to travel while pregnant, is likely to result in the CBSA bouncing you and asking you to return nearer the time of the course.
Secondly, the potential costs to you if there are problems with the birth or the child, could be astronomical. Certainly up into 6 figures and we have seen cases as high as 7 figures. It's not worth the risk.
Thank you so much for a prompt response.

I am honestly not worried about the money (OR CITIZENSHIP or whatever). I genuinely want to study this course. I got rejected last year before marriage because back then there was no GIC rule and my university didn't require the fee to be submitted before landing in Canada.
Are there any other advices you can give me for a study permit based on my current scenario? Thanks alot

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
  1. You can apply while pregnant. It's up to you if you wish to expose your foetus to x-rays. Many doctors recommend against it.
  2. This is the challenge with your timeline.
  3. Arriving in or before June for courses in September, while visibly pregnant, is likely to result in extensive questioning and possible refusal of admission to the country as your intent would be obvious.
As zardoz says above, do you have tens of thousands of dollars for the cost of the delivery?

Your option is to ask the university to postpone your entrance to the program. You wouldn't be able to study very well with a newborn, so you would have to do so anyway.

Additionally, applying for a study visa for yourself and your dependent husband is likely to be refused based on family ties and purpose of visit, especially once you notify you are present. Add to that being resident in a third country and holding Pakistani citizenship, you are at extreme risk of overstay.

FatimaAli333

Nov 7, 2019
I didn't say anything about nationality - you did. And I have answers for you but it requires a truthful approach to asking the questions.
If you honestly want to help me out then please do. I am open to some genuine advices. Kindly don't make any false statement. Thank you

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you honestly want to help me out then please do. I am open to some genuine advices. Kindly don't make any false statement. Thank you
If you're being so defensive when I point out your obvious intention, how will you react when a visa officer or CBSA officer does the same?

FatimaAli333

Nov 7, 2019
  1. You can apply while pregnant. It's up to you if you wish to expose your foetus to x-rays. Many doctors recommend against it.
  2. This is the challenge with your timeline.
  3. Arriving in or before June for courses in September, while visibly pregnant, is likely to result in extensive questioning and possible refusal of admission to the country as your intent would be obvious.
As zardoz says above, do you have tens of thousands of dollars for the cost of the delivery?

Your option is to ask the university to postpone your entrance to the program. You wouldn't be able to study very well with a newborn, so you would have to do so anyway.

Additionally, applying for a study visa for yourself and your dependent husband is likely to be refused based on family ties and purpose of visit, especially once you notify you are present. Add to that being resident in a third country and holding Pakistani citizenship, you are at extreme risk of overstay.
Now that's more like it. You truthfully helped out. Thank you for that :)
I already have deferred my admission once and I can't do it one more time. I am not worried about the dollars honestly (not bragging here). So in your opinion I should wait for another year? :(

FatimaAli333

Nov 7, 2019
If you're being so defensive when I point out your obvious intention, how will you react when a visa officer or CBSA officer does the same?
Perks of being pregnant, I guess :/
I apologise. But you shouldn't jump in on a person like that with a STATEMENT that's not true, also without a proper reasoning.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Perks of being pregnant, I guess :/
I apologise. But you shouldn't jump in on a person like that with a STATEMENT that's not true, also without a proper reasoning.
You will note my reasoning is very clear. Applying while pregnant with a dependent husband and intending to arrive before delivery is obvious, on the face, as to what you are doing even if you don't want to admit it is your intent. Sorry.

Any visa officer would look at your application and immediately decide that you're trying to move your family to Canada to claim asylum, or PR, and get citizenship for the child. You may insist at the moment that this is not your intention, but you are asking how to do it.

Your study permit is likely to be refused on its face if you apply for the whole family. Sorry.

FatimaAli333

Nov 7, 2019
You will note my reasoning is very clear. Applying while pregnant with a dependent child and intending to arrive before delivery is obvious, on the face, as to what you are doing even if you don't want to admit it is your intent. Sorry.
Calm down. Why are you being so negative? Anyways, thanks for the reply.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

1. Yes. You will either need to defer the x-ray until after the birth or make the choice to do it with a lead apron. The study permit will not be approved without the medical.

2. 2 months would not be enough time. You could apply for yourself and then apply later for the baby once you have the documents. This would likely mean a separation if you are approved and must come to Canada prior to the child being approved.

3. Not an option. Even if you got approved early, showing up 4-6 months prior to your course starting while visibly pregnant is likely to result in a refusal of entry and cancellation of your study permit.