File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I've been reading over some comments and questions on the forum and I'm really surprised of how many people go through the trouble if gaining PR (more skilled worker, business ect) then leave and go back to home country. Then after not fulfilling the residency obligation attempt to come back. I understand there are personal circumstances that come up but in other cases I can't understand it.

Thats my Friday night thought.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
Try reading the CanLII database on cases of a similar nature, PRs not fulfilling their residency obligation and wanting to return to Canada later on abound.

Some cases are understandable, but they are the minority. There was one case of a Taiwanese family that received PR, arrived in Canada, went back to Taiwan 4 days later, then tried to return to Canada 7 years later. According to the case file, the reason for this delay was because the principal applicant's father had not given him permission to immigrate and as the oldest son he was responsible for taking care of the elderly parents. After 7 years they made arrangements for the father to live with his younger daughter, and the appeal judge said he could see no reason why these arrangements couldn't be made sooner. They were found to have lost their PR status for not fulfilling the residency obligation. That's just an egregious example, but look up "residency obligation" in CanLII, very enlightening.

For some people, Canadian PR is not a phase of their life, it's a tool: pick it up, use it when you need to, put it down and forget it otherwise.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
I'm going to check some of those cases out. I'm shocked on some of the reasoning.
I know someone whose parents received PR for the sole purpose of having their son school here. He's now a citizen while they live in the middle east and somehow cheat the system to maintain their PR.

Love_Young

Champion Member
May 22, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 16, 2010
Med's Done....
June 16, 2010
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
June 01, 2011[img]http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r293/SimsFC/icons/smileys/flag-canada.gif[/img] [img]http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/patriot.gif[/img]
Stuff like this irks me all the time. Especially when I am praying for my day to come.
I don't ever want to leave if I get approved unless its an emergency or vacation.

Some are citizens of convenience, look it up. And unfortunately like CharlieD10 posted, some like to use it as a tool. Pick up and use it when they feel like they need but put it away for most of the season. Kind of like putting a lawn mower away for the winter season. Only use it when your grass is too high.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Believe it or not, many families in Canada are Astronauts. Sometimes, after landing, it is not easy to find a high paid job in Canada compare to one's home country. Most often, the wife and kids are left in Canada and the father returns to home country to find a job or continue his job overseas. The family obtains citizenship and then the wife usually returns home, while the kids remain to complete education. As a Canadian citizen the spouse can sponsor the husband if necessary.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some people who are in on work visas in the US apply for Canada PR as a backup in case they lose the work visa before they manage to get a green card in the US. If they don't lose the work visa or do get the green card in the US, they don't really want or need the Canadian PR. It is only there as a backup just in case.

Other people apply for PR in good faith, come to Canada, can't find a job, deplete their savings and end up having to go back. Maybe they want to try again later but by then it's too late.

There are actually surprisingly many people who don't seem to have heard of the residency requirements and who think that as long as they have a PR card that is valid for 5 years, they only need to go to Canada and renew it before it expires.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Leon said:
There are actually surprisingly many people who don't seem to have heard of the residency requirements and who think that as long as they have a PR card that is valid for 5 years, they only need to go to Canada and renew it before it expires.
Maybe it's time for a sticky in the permanent residency obligations folder, Leon. It would save you from having to repeat yourself over and over (and over again). ;D

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
steaky said:
Believe it or not, many families in Canada are Astronauts. Sometimes, after landing, it is not easy to find a high paid job in Canada compare to one's home country. Most often, the wife and kids are left in Canada and the father returns to home country to find a job or continue his job overseas. The family obtains citizenship and then the wife usually returns home, while the kids remain to complete education. As a Canadian citizen the spouse can sponsor the husband if necessary.
Oh there are definitely many reasons why people who intend to live in Canada and can't find a suitable position and returns home. I know of many people in this position and that's totally acceptable. You only want the best life and future for your family.

The cases I'm talking about are the people that come here leave don't even come close to completing the residency and then come back and wonder why they're told to leave because of it. I'm having trouble understanding why they want to keep it when they still have no intention of residing here.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
[/quote]

If only it was that easy.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think the PR system for Canada is VERY generous especially compared to the US. To me, it seems like the Canadian government has taken into account many H&C factors like family responsibilities abroad, ability to find gainful employment, etc. Residence for 2 years out of every 5 is somewhat of a gift in my opinion. The US system has VERY cumbersome requirements to maintain PR, especially for travelling outside of the US.

Iamrobot85

Aug 31, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2010
File Transfer...
03-02-2010
Passport Req..
21-03-2011
LANDED..........
25-04-2011
What are the residency obligations?

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
730 days spent in Canada in a relevant 5 year period. And time spent abroad with a Canadian spouse, or working for a Canadian company counts towards that obligation.

Inlandappl

Jul 21, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
it s not only a question of taking advantage of PR. some people just may have had enough of living in this country(like another one for what it matters) and they can split with their partner and not wanting to have anything to do with Canada whatsoever anymore and then change idea later (or not)
remember that the process of immigration in this country is so long that people may also forget why and when they applied in the first place. family sponsorship is different though because there is a partner and a family in the middle and if all goes good concerning the relation then they would definitely stay in the country. thats my idea. A bit slightly different situation is when both partners are not originally from canada and they leave the country for a bit , then you may suspect some kind of wanting to take advantage of PR or wanting to have PR as a back up or else

Patricksgirls

Star Member
Oct 31, 2010
My fiance's former wife gained her PR status before he met her. They dated off and on for 18 years and during that time he said he could add up about two years that they were together yet she maintained her status somehow. Then she finally pushed marriage and he married her only to find out that she was in threat of losing her status and hoping he could sponsor her again. Long story but that is the meat of it lol!
He basically came back home one day to find a deportation letter because the last time she flew in from Germany she flew in with her boyfriend who she was hoping to sponsor but found out she was out of status. Very confusing to say the least and I am so glad he DID not sponsor her as that would have been trouble for us!

Eddy070

Apr 25, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interesting topic here, but i will say everybody has there reasons towards the decisions they make...

Based on the fact most people acquire PR then later return to there home country, Maybe that was the only option they have rather then dwelling in Isolation or some type or abuse from there partner (taken advantage of them) all bcos they sponsor them. Never makes them silly, bcos I have seen many thread like people been devorced by the sponsor after PR.

I think everything happens for a reason.