+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting PR in Ontario .. Easy or hard ? (Got admitted in University of Waterloo)

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Hi guys .. I've got acceptance from University of Waterloo for their CS Masters program starting September this year. I wanted to know how easy or hard it is to get PR after graduating from here.

Besides Waterloo, I've also been accepted at McGill, but problem is I don't know French.

Question: After Ontario nominates me and I apply for PR at Federal level, do I have to stay in Ontario or Canada, while PR application is being processed ?

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ahmadka said:
Hi guys .. I've got acceptance from University of Waterloo for their CS Masters program starting September this year. I wanted to know how easy or hard it is to get PR after graduating from here.

Besides Waterloo, I've also been accepted at McGill, but problem is I don't know French.

Question: After Ontario nominates me and I apply for PR at Federal level, do I have to stay in Ontario or Canada, while PR application is being processed ?
To apply for PR, you have 3 options:

FSW. You would have to find a job under your PGWP and find a employer willing to apply for LMIA. LMIA is the hard part and it is the way that gives you 600 points.
CEC. 1 year working in your field in Canada. Full time skilled job.
PNP. You gotta find out IF Ontario needs immigrants to work in your field. If not, Ontario won't nominate you.
If you succeed I believe you must stay in the province for some time. Otherwise, you'll lose your PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Bruno V. S. said:
PNP. You gotta find out IF Ontario needs immigrants to work in your field. If not, Ontario won't nominate you.
If you succeed I believe you must stay in the province for some time. Otherwise, you'll lose your PR.
Read through the Ontario PNP program requirements more closely. There is a stream for applicants who have completed either a Masters or PhD in Ontario.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
scylla said:
Read through the Ontario PNP program requirements more closely. There is a stream for applicants who have completed either a Masters or PhD in Ontario.
So, if you complete a Master degree or PHD it's sure that you'll get your PR even if it's not a field on demand?

ahmadka

May 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-07-2015
Doc's Request.
07-08-2015
AOR Received.
01-10-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
Well I have gone through Ontario's PNP site, and I'm fairly current with their PNP program, but I wanted to ask how easy/hard are their nomination policies with respect to other provinces' policies.

There seems to be an option on their PNP program where you can apply for nomination even if you don't have a job offer (although for some reason their FAQ page doesn't seem to agree with this !!). Assuming you file your nomination application in complete without leaving anything out, you SHOULD get the nomination approved, right ? Or is there still some 'chance' involved somewhere ?

Also, after they nominate me (if they do), then when I apply for PR at Federal level, I assume that has nothing to do with Ontario at the provincial level.

I don't see any webpage stating anywhere whether I have to stay in Canada once I've filled for PR at Federal. Yes, I'm aware that AFTER you get your PR, you have to stay in Canada for 2 years in a 5 year period to have valid PR, but that's AFTER you get your PR, so it doesn't answer my specific question.

Bruno V. S.

Star Member
Mar 27, 2015
ahmadka said:
Well I have gone through Ontario's PNP site, and I'm fairly current with their PNP program, but I wanted to ask how easy/hard are their nomination policies with respect to other provinces' policies.

There seems to be an option on their PNP program where you can apply for nomination even if you don't have a job offer (although for some reason their FAQ page doesn't seem to agree with this !!). Assuming you file your nomination application in complete without leaving anything out, you SHOULD get the nomination approved, right ? Or is there still some 'chance' involved somewhere ?

Also, after they nominate me (if they do), then when I apply for PR at Federal level, I assume that has nothing to do with Ontario at the provincial level.

I don't see any webpage stating anywhere whether I have to stay in Canada once I've filled for PR at Federal. Yes, I'm aware that AFTER you get your PR, you have to stay in Canada for 2 years in a 5 year period to have valid PR, but that's AFTER you get your PR, so it doesn't answer my specific question.
I'm really sorry that I could not answer your question..
I tried to look for an answer for your question, but I could only find this:

"Once you become a permanent resident, you can live and work anywhere in Canada. If you leave your current employer during either the nomination process or the permanent residence application process, your nomination and application can be denied by Opportunities Ontario. Prolonged absences from Ontario can also affect your eligibility for the program. You should keep Opportunities Ontario informed."

Also, you can try calling them or sending them a message. They have a facebook page for international students.

Phone
416-327-0374 or toll-free at 1-866-214-6820 (within North America only)

Opportunities.Ontario @ ontario.ca

www.facebook.com/ studyworkstay

"There seems to be an option on their PNP program where you can apply for nomination even if you don't have a job offer (although for some reason their FAQ page doesn't seem to agree with this !!). Assuming you file your nomination application in complete without leaving anything out, you SHOULD get the nomination approved, right ? Or is there still some 'chance' involved somewhere ?"

Scylla is right, if you complete a Master Degree or doctorate, you can apply for Ontario PNP even if you don't have a job offer. But, you have to complete it in one of the institutions of the list (eligible publicly funded university). If you do and match all the other requirements, then I think you won't have any problems. There will not be any chance involved. :)