+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting points for work experience as a student

moeykang

Oct 24, 2018
Hello everyone. First post here. Grateful for the wealth of knowledge and experience here.

I realize that you do not get points for work experience as a student, but wanted to see if some of you may give insight into my situation.

Came to Canada in Jan 2010 on study permit (Ph.D) until May 2015.
Received an offer 20 hours a week from church to work and received r186l work permit exemption from September 2014 - May 2015.
Renewed r186l work permit exemption from March 2015 - September 2016.
Took 2 years leave of absence from school as I worked.
Took a new job at new church (full time) from February 2016 and got r186l until February 2019.
Went back to school in September 2017 until present. (no class just writing dissertation)

So the questions is:
1. Since work experience during a student does not count for points, will I get credit for the two years or work while I was on leave of absence?
2. If so, should I count the work experience from June 2015~August 2017?
3. Since the work times blend itself with times when I was a student, should I create two profiles for each work experience - one while I was a student and one while I wasn't as you have to either check yes or no on whether you were a student.
4. On the application, it considers a full time student to be 15hours of class a week. Since I have been writing dissertation and not attending class at the time, should I just check "no" to were you a student?

On a separate note, it seems I would qualify for 460 points without my wife's education credentials, should I just say that she hadn't completed post-secondary, or just submit the actual education credentials without an ECA?

Thank you so much. Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Blessings,