+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married while PR in process for both

ag141141

May 23, 2015
Hi guys,

Me and my gf will be marrying in India this December end. We both have canadian experience and have received ITAs when applied individually. What will be the implications of our marriage if we go ahead and apply separately right away?

Will we both be updating our in-process applications with the information that we got married?

Should we rather get married registered after we get our PRs?

Or should we get registered first before wedding ceremony in India and submit to EE again as husband and wife? In this case, what are the processing times for husband and wife who both have canadian experience.

Much appreciate the help.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi guys,

Me and my gf will be marrying in India this December end. We both have canadian experience and have received ITAs when applied individually. What will be the implications of our marriage if we go ahead and apply separately right away?

Will we both be updating our in-process applications with the information that we got married?

Or should we get registered first before wedding ceremony in India and submit to EE again as husband and wife? In this case, what are the processing times for husband and wife who both have canadian experience.

Much appreciate the help.
If you want to continue as separate apps, you will need to add each other to your apps as non-accompanying after the marriage. Note that when you register the marriage is irrelevant. You are considered married as of the ceremony in December.

Reactions: Y@M and ag141141

ag141141

May 23, 2015
If you want to continue as separate apps, you will need to add each other to your apps as non-accompanying after the marriage. Note that when you register the marriage is irrelevant. You are considered married as of the ceremony in December.
Thanks alot for your input.

Which would be better in your opinion in terms of ease and timeline of getting PR:

1. Do a civil marriage right away and apply as husband and wife

Or

2. Apply individually then add as non accompanying spouse when we get married in December.

Many thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks alot for your input.

Which would be better in your opinion in terms of ease and timeline of getting PR:

1. Do a civil marriage right away and apply as husband and wife

Or

2. Apply individually then add as non accompanying spouse when we get married in December.

Many thanks
Either or. Your choice.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi guys,

The last time I heard of a situation like this, the VO simply linked the two applications together and did not require the addition of spouses to the applications. But I cannot honestly remember if that was before or after EE was implemented, so I do not know what IRCC would require. If you both submit your complete eAPRs and then get married, I would suggest simply informing IRCC about the marriage and providing copies of both eAPRs, and requesting advice on how to proceed.

Reactions: ag141141

toronto2021

Mar 2, 2020
I am in a similar situation as above. We applied individually for Express Entry, got our ITA and our application was processing. After submitting everything, we got married and then, my husband received his "Ready for Visa" email and he submitted our marriage certificate on the same day. After they received that, they asked for my documents on his application as his spouse, and one of the things they ask for is to pay the RPRF fee and the processing fee. As I had already paid that on my application, I just attached my receipts on his. On doing the same, they have now responded giving us the following options:
- to repay the Processing & RPRF fees again as an accompanying spouse on his application and let my application also process only as a spouse
OR
- to be listed as a non-accompanying spouse and let my individual application process.

Apart from the fact that I might lose $490 as processing fee by going with the first option, I am concerned about which method will be faster. We have already been waiting for 8-9 months. As an individual applicant, I could get my PR anytime soon but I don't know if I am added as a spouse, it would be a new process or it would cut back on time. Kindly help me!!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am in a similar situation as above. We applied individually for Express Entry, got our ITA and our application was processing. After submitting everything, we got married and then, my husband received his "Ready for Visa" email and he submitted our marriage certificate on the same day. After they received that, they asked for my documents on his application as his spouse, and one of the things they ask for is to pay the RPRF fee and the processing fee. As I had already paid that on my application, I just attached my receipts on his. On doing the same, they have now responded giving us the following options:
- to repay the Processing & RPRF fees again as an accompanying spouse on his application and let my application also process only as a spouse
OR
- to be listed as a non-accompanying spouse and let my individual application process.

Apart from the fact that I might lose $490 as processing fee by going with the first option, I am concerned about which method will be faster. We have already been waiting for 8-9 months. As an individual applicant, I could get my PR anytime soon but I don't know if I am added as a spouse, it would be a new process or it would cut back on time. Kindly help me!!!
It is up to you whether you want to cancel your individual app and just be added to his as accompanying or whether you want to be added as non-accompanying to his file and continue with your own.

If you choose to cancel your individual app, you will be refunded the RPRF fee (but have to say it again anyways to be added to his app) but will lose the rest of the fees.

SK49

Apr 10, 2018
Hi @ag141141 and @canuck_in_uk, I am in similar situation and would greatly appreciate your advice. Me and my spouse have our applications for PR pending and we recently got married (Nov 1). We got the same reply from IRCC to add each other as non-accompanying spouses. Now my question is regarding the process. We have been told to fill IMM0008, IMM5669 and
The add-on request including:
  • your client ID number/UCI,
  • a detailed letter of explanation,
  • a copy of the birth certificate, marriage certificate or proof of common-law relationship, and
  • if applicable, the proof of payment.
We don't want to add each other and keep our applications separate.
Were you asked to send in the same documents or you followed some other course. Please let us know. Thank you.

Reactions: Dixit3D and Y@M

Y@M

Dec 4, 2020
Algiers
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Paris
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
28-02-2020
@ag141141 can you please share with us how did it end for you... did you get your PPR you and your wife?

I am in the same situation with my fiancé and we just want to be sure that we will not have any problem with our two applications.