+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married before landing in Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
eefromusa said:
I have another problem and would appreciate some guidance..

Got PR in Oct 2015 and was planning to land in April 2016 (as it is 1 yr from medical date)
Planning to get married in Dec 2015.
I understand i need to declare to CIC that I got married. my problem is that my husband does not want to move or land in Canada for next 2-3 years. If i apply for him- he will have to do the landing within 1 yr of his medical.

Is there an option that I declare about marriage but do not apply for him.
You can add him as "non accompanying" to your application and the sponsor him later once he's ready to come to Canada. However he will still have to complete the medical, complete all of the required forms and provide police certificates.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
eefromusa said:
I have another problem and would appreciate some guidance..

Got PR in Oct 2015 and was planning to land in April 2016 (as it is 1 yr from medical date)
Planning to get married in Dec 2015.
I understand i need to declare to CIC that I got married. my problem is that my husband does not want to move or land in Canada for next 2-3 years. If i apply for him- he will have to do the landing within 1 yr of his medical.

Is there an option that I declare about marriage but do not apply for him.
Other option is to land now then deal with marriage and spousal sponsorship after landing as a PR. This way you don't have to return your PR visa, notify visa post of the marriage, submit additional documents and go through the whole non accompanying family member process to include medical checks for someone who isn't interested or ready to go to Canada in the near future. When you sponsor all these thing have to be re-done!! Note even if your spouse is non accompanying any issues with their background and medical checks will cause issues for you and your PR visa. If you are a PR then you are safe and can deal with any issues that arise with your spouse's checks.

Hrimar

Jan 22, 2016
Hi everyone,
I have just took my permanent resident visa and I’m still in my home country (I still don’t land in Canada and I don’t have my PR card, I have QSC). May I get marry to my fiancé and send all the papers to add her in my file in order to obtain a visa for her also and how long will it take..
Should I pass through the whole process of obtaining a certificate again because of my marriage or she will just take a certificate and visa on a basis of our marriage.
I know that the other way is to land in Canada, get my PR card , go back to my home country to marry her and sponsor my spouse ontland Canada. What is the possibility for her to get a visitor visa during the processing time for PR and will be a problem for my application to go back to my home country for a short time , because I don`t want to be separate so much time.
My fiancé had applaied for visitor visa, but the application was refused, will it be a problem for other applications?

Thank you in advance!

jamiloz

Feb 24, 2016
Hello,

This forum is very informative and they people here are realy experts and impressive.

I want to ask you about my situation, I am confused and don't know what to do, here is my case, and I think it requires an expert to answer me correctly.

-I have applied for Express Entry and I was notified that I should send my passport to be get stamped for PR visa on the 20th of July.
-I am getting married on the 3rd of September 2016
-My medicals were done in February 2015, so logically I have to land before February 2016.

MY concern is that I want to land along with my wife, as I don't want to go the sponsorship long way.

Problem Statement:
I have to send my passport to the embassy within 30 days from today (i.e. before 20th August 2016), and I am getting married on the 3rd of September 2016, I have to land before February 2016 (due to medicals expiry), so what should I do in this case to ensure adding my wife to the application and be able to land together later on (even if it requires to do the medicals again) , as I am worried that if I send the embassy about this situation, the 30 days to send the passport would expire before getting a reply from them.

Twinee

Jul 1, 2017
Hello

I have some questions and will appreciate an answer.

My PR visa was approved in June 2017 and I am due to Land in 3 days.
My husband applied for his PR through provincial in December 2016 and is waiting for his to get approved. So the both of us applied while we were still single. But we got married in April 2017.

So since my PR visa has been approved and I am due to Land in 3 days, my question now is

1. Who should update CIC about our marital status should it be
a. Me ? and if me why? Remember my PR visa has been approved and my Express entry file is closed and am due to Land in 3 days.
b. Should it be my Husband ? and why? Remember my husband PR application he submitted through provincial nominee while he was single is still being processed as of now.

Please help me .
Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello

I have some questions and will appreciate an answer.

My PR visa was approved in June 2017 and I am due to Land in 3 days.
My husband applied for his PR through provincial in December 2016 and is waiting for his to get approved. So the both of us applied while we were still single. But we got married in April 2017.

So since my PR visa has been approved and I am due to Land in 3 days, my question now is

1. Who should update CIC about our marital status should it be
a. Me ? and if me why? Remember my PR visa has been approved and my Express entry file is closed and am due to Land in 3 days.
b. Should it be my Husband ? and why? Remember my husband PR application he submitted through provincial nominee while he was single is still being processed as of now.

Please help me .
Thanks
Hi

It doesn't matter that you have independent apps. You are both required to fully include the other in your applications. Not including each other is misrepresentation.

Reactions: kikou

Twinee

Jul 1, 2017
Thank you so much for the information. I will update CIC.

So please can you tell me

1. Where I can go and update CIC for my change in Marital Status ?

2. Should I go ahead and cancel my Landing appoint that I have booked with the officer?

3. Also can I inform CIC that I am married but my spouse is applying individually as a primary applicant through Provincial ? Doing that will they still demand a medicals and other supporting documents from us?

4. Will CIC also want me to submit another new applications for my self which I have done before during my Express entry ?because my Express entry profile has been closed.

5. Do you have any idea how long it will take for me to get my PR back after I have changed my Marital Status ?

Thank you.

Twinee

Jul 1, 2017
Hello

I have gone ahead to update CPC Ottawa on my Marital Status through email after I got the COPR Visa but did not land on my previous message.

Please does anyone know how long it will take to get a response back from them through email? and what might be the next step they might want me to take going forward ?
as I am really worried because my status will soon expire by September 2017.
Any advise will be appreaciated just to calm me down.

Thanks

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello

I have gone ahead to update CPC Ottawa on my Marital Status through email after I got the COPR Visa but did not land on my previous message.

Please does anyone know how long it will take to get a response back from them through email? and what might be the next step they might want me to take going forward ?
as I am really worried because my status will soon expire by September 2017.
Any advise will be appreaciated just to calm me down.

Thanks
Next steps are probably that your COPR will be cancelled and you will have to submit updated forms documenting your spouse. Your spouse will also need to supply updated forms for his application as well. You can't complete landing until all of this is done. Your file is not "closed" until you complete the landing.

Twinee

Jul 1, 2017
Ok thank you so much for the info. I get my updated forms ready and will also advise my spouse to update PNP about his marital status as well.

But usually do you have any idea how long the updated process may take ?
Also will you advise me to apply for BWOP now as my work permit will expire in Sept 2017?

sk_achary

Oct 28, 2017
Dear All,

I received my PR Visa recently and am getting married in February (my PR Visa is valid till Sep-18). After reading these information, I suppose the best course of action is to travel to Canada before marriage and get the PR Card first considering the delay i.e. expected if I first get married and inform the visa office about the change in marital status. But I have couple of questions where I need your guidance -

1) If I wish to travel in December-17, can I immediately come back to India? What will happen if I come back after 2-3 days? Can I give an address of my friend in Canada? This is because I was told that I have to stay at least 45 days to get my PR card and since i am working, I won't get leaves for 45 days. And even if I resign now, I have to serve notice period till the end of January (2 months from now) and Feb is when I am getting married.

2) If I wish to inform visa office about my marriage plans, what are the steps to be followed after I return my visa? Is it only the medicals, police clearance and fund they are going to ask the documents for? Or my spouse has to go through all the process as I did, i.e. IELTS, Reference letters etc... etc...

Please help me with a plan...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Dear All,

I received my PR Visa recently and am getting married in February (my PR Visa is valid till Sep-18). After reading these information, I suppose the best course of action is to travel to Canada before marriage and get the PR Card first considering the delay i.e. expected if I first get married and inform the visa office about the change in marital status. But I have couple of questions where I need your guidance -

1) If I wish to travel in December-17, can I immediately come back to India? What will happen if I come back after 2-3 days? Can I give an address of my friend in Canada? This is because I was told that I have to stay at least 45 days to get my PR card and since i am working, I won't get leaves for 45 days. And even if I resign now, I have to serve notice period till the end of January (2 months from now) and Feb is when I am getting married.

2) If I wish to inform visa office about my marriage plans, what are the steps to be followed after I return my visa? Is it only the medicals, police clearance and fund they are going to ask the documents for? Or my spouse has to go through all the process as I did, i.e. IELTS, Reference letters etc... etc...

1. Yes, your friend can forward the PR card to you.
2. You would need to update all the forms, she would require medical, police certificates, proof of the validity of the marriage.

Reactions: sk_achary

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Dear All,

1)you could complete your landing and return to your home country the same day if flights allow although that might be pretty exhausting. As PMM said PR card could be mailed to a friends address and then they forward to you as you will need it to fly back next year.

Reactions: sk_achary

sk_achary

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks a lot, PMM & Bs65... I will plan my travel then.
I suppose, now I need to inform Visa office about my travel plans. Anything I am missing... please enlighten me.

sk_achary

Oct 28, 2017
Dear Experts, I have one more query. As a proof of fund, what should I show to the immigration officer? Is it the document from the bank I had submitted along with my application? Or do I have take CAD along with me? Or traveler check? Please guide.